THR Pink Peony Recovery Thread

Pink Peony

Country
United States United States
Thank you to everyone for all the virtual moral support and well wishes. I am on the other side.

To recap my experience:: I checked in at 9:00 am, and the only complication was the pre-op nurse had to do two different sites for my IV. She had to move around a bit before the vein was threaded. Then I walked into the OR with the Mako robot, and the last thing I remember was the anesthesiology saying the fluid before the spinal was cold. He also said he would give a strong post-op medicine that would help with the pain (until about 11:00 pm). I remember the anesthesiologist saying my name, in the recovery room, and it was the best feeling in the world to be on other side of surgery. My pain level was probably a 2 or 3. I was given an oxy, and very soon my pain level was extremely low. It was probably 1:00 pm, and I was told the actual surgery was about 1 hour.

I was moved to another room, and the walking was good, the key was ensuring I wasn't dizzy. Don't fall was the #1 guidance (which I already knew). I stayed there about an hour, the physical therapist came in, and we did some walking, went to the bathroom (yeah, my bladder works), and then practiced stairs. All far easier and more comfortable than I ever expected. They were all very complimentary. I was awake and lucid (even with the oxy).

My friend took me home, and she and another friend, have been keeping my hydrated, and keeping me company. They are also amazed at how well I am feeling and getting around. I plan on sleeping in my lift chair (wonderful purchase), and hoping that once the medicine from the anesthesiologist wears off, I am still able to manage the pain.

Medicine: Taking oxy every 4 hours, tramadol, essentially taking everything to stay ahead of the pain. Since my friends are recording the medicine, I would have to go back to re-check, the dosage.

I am soooooo glad I went ahead with this surgery!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pink Peony Welcome to the other side! Sounds like you are doing really well! I'll leave your recovery guidelines here for you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:happydance: yay, so happy you are home and doing well.
Slow and steady will win this race, so rest all you can and ice it up.:ice::ice::ice:

Welcome sounds like you are as happy about pulling the trigger on Your replacement surgery is I am . Starting day four and surprised that the pain is as minimal as it has been. Let’s just hope we both recover equally, and our new hips give us the mobility back we lost wearing out our old ones.

Great news @Pink Peony! Love the dressage connection:)

My personal post operative tip (learned the hard way):
While I iced well, I probably did not do enough initially with high enough elevation and after a few days, my leg swelled more than I expected...

Cricket Hip has wonderful self directions for stimulating lymph drainage, which you might want to look up.

Welcome :welome: to the bright side! Its so nice to read your update this morning.

I remember the anthologist saying my name, in the recover room, and it was the best feeling in the world to be on other side of surgery.

I can relate! Such a high, isn’t it? I suppose the pharmaceuticals contribute, lol. One can experience a lot of crazy thoughts before surgery and my first thought upon waking afterward (once I pieced the sights and sounds together) was I’m awake, I’m breathing, I’m here! :happydance:

It sounds like they had you up and moving quickly and you’re doing really well. Such wonderful news! Thankfully you’re in great hands with some loving friends.
I hope your pain continues to be well managed and you enjoy many cozy naps in your new lift recliner. I loved mine!

Stay in touch, we’re here for support and encouragement when you need us. :friends:

It’s great to see you on the recovery side! It sounds like you are doing great with your pain well managed. I bet you’ll find your recovery goes a bit faster than you anticipated. Our bodies are amazing. It’s all pretty incredible when you really think about it. Sending healing wishes your way!

Welcome to the sunny side (recovery). I felt very euphoric for the first week at the loss of the pre op pain and so happy to be able to walk even if with a walker without the pain. It brightens everything and helps so much with recovery. Remember to keep icing and elevating and napping as much as your hip and body wants.

It's so nice to see your recovery thread!! You are having a nice start to your recovery,, that is such a relief, isn't it? I experienced the euphoria, too. It was rather nice!!
Your friends sound very helpful, it's good to have somebody around, for sure.

Congratulations, you are now a Hippie!

Day 2 (presuming you count Day 1 as surgery and the 24 hour period after?)

I was concerned that I would have more pain once the medicine that the anesthesiologist placed wore off (he said around 11;30 pm). Good news, a small increase in pain, but did notice more swelling in the evening. I think I need to elevate more.

The surgeon provided PlasmaFlow, for my calf's, and they have been my new favorite recovery aid. They are to help with DVT, and was told that I could even use on a plane someday. They are amazing, and make make my legs feel wonderful. The doctor said to try and use them 18 hours a day.

Two friends came over today, and I had my the first visit with PT. As I suspected I chatted most of the day, and by tonight I am enjoying a peaceful home, and catching little cat naps. I had debated about hiring care for Days 2 and 3, and frankly glad I didn't. Turns out I am very mobile with my walker (and even my cane), and enjoying a bit of quiet time. I only took 2 oxy's today, and 2 Senna. Thus far, no BM, but hopefully tomorrow. If not, I am going to add Miralax and prunes tomorrow.

The PT looked at my walk, and my operated leg is a touch longer, but she thinks it is due to an imbalance in my pelvis. I haven't seen myself in a mirror, but it "feels" like the limp is reduced.

This morning I accidentally took two Tramadol two hours apart. I was to take a Tylenol, but wasn't paying close attention. I am recording all medicine's myself today, and have made a mental note to check the label twice before taking.

So far, so good.

Another good report! I was told by my surgeon that they count the day after surgery as Day One.. so I think you are correct in saying that today is Day Two. :SUNsmile:

So happy to read your account and see how well things are going.. friends are worth their weight in gold!

I wouldn't be too worried about a leg length difference this early in the game. Many of us felt like that, or like in your case, looked like that but evened out as the traumatized muscles and attachments relaxed a bit.

I hope you have another day of rest, ice and elevation!

Day 2 (surgery was on Monday) - and really feeling very fortunate, as my recovery continues very smoothly. I have been off Oxy since yesterday (only had 3 in total), and feeling very steady with my walker or cane. These Plasma Flow devices are the best, and I have had them on almost all day (except for charging). The ice in my refrigerator isn't working (of all times to break), so my Ossur Gold Rush isn't getting that cold. I am placing somewhat frozen bottles of ice (filled water bottles), and while that "works", doesn't get that cold. My frig may be on it's last leg.

I was more diligent about elevating my legs today, and the swelling is down from yesterday. I am also moving around my house about every hour. Today my friend offered to come over, and I waved her off. I have been exhausted all day, and have been napping nearly the entire day. It is difficult to "be the patient" when friends are over, and I really needed this quiet time to myself. Hopefully, I haven't jinxed myself and can still get to sleep tonight.

I had a bit of "stinging" in my leg this morning, but I think the elevation has helped. Overall, pain has been well managed (Tramadol and Tylenol). While I can't see if I am limping, in my "mind's eye", I feel like I am walking like normal. I am beyond excited!

Elevation and icing really helps. I'm sorry you are not getting things cold enough. Do you have any frozen vegetable bags to use - just put a cloth in between them and your skin. Keep napping as you need. Night sleep was always difficult for me whether I napped during the day or not. Napping helps our healing.

Day 3 and a bit less tired today. I am still on Tramadol, and this may be my last day on it, as I wonder if it is contributing to my sleepiness. The home PT lady came by, and we practiced a few exercises, and I did notice the weakness in my left leg during the heel slide. She noticed my limp when I was walking too quickly with the walker. She encouraged me to slow down, and practice heel/toe (which I did know from reading this forum). I think I need to reframe my mindset and focus on great form with the walker, rather than trying to get quickly from one point to another.

My swelling is down slightly. I had incisions on both hips (one of the other leg for the Mako robot), so I am a bit tender, right below the incision sites.

Finally have my GI system working again. Really surprised it took this long, as I didn't have general and only took 3 oxy. I took Senna twice a day, ate bananas, and while I didn't get uncomfortable, I wanted my system to be fully functioning.

Last edited:
Slow and steady walking is better than hurrying. I used to say out loud and in my head heel/toe, heel/toe to make sure I was following my own instructions. Your body and muscles take a while to relearn proper walking from the months or years of limping and adjusting your walk.

@Pink Peony a visit from the, er, digestion fairy! That is a great milestone to pass. Pun totally unanticipated... lol!

Sounds like you are doing really well! One reason you're sleeping is that your body is ordering you to, so it can get on with the healing. Don't feel you have to be productive-- your body is working overtime on producing healing, and I swear our bodies forget to inform our brains sometimes!

I'm glad the poop fairy visited you, @Pink Peony.
Don't worry about feeling tired and sleepy all the time. That's what your body and your hip need right now, so that you rest enough, which helps your hip to heal.

Almost all your energy is being directed towards healing your hip and there isn't much left for anything else. That's all explained in this article

Post Op Day 5

Happy 4th of July to my fellow Americans. They are encouraging no more than a group of 5 people in my area, so most celebrations and parties are cancelled. To some degree, it makes staying at home on this holiday, a little less daunting.

Many positive updates today, finally feeling better rested, thank you @Celle for the article link. Also, my swelling is down (although still shocking to see in the mirror), and less pain in the incision area. While I am itching to get busy outside, all the good reminders that you only get once chance to heal properly. Therefore, I am taking it very easy, and catching up on Netflix, which seems odd in the summer.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back