Physio Dilemma

Phoenixx29

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi - I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on non-impact excercises to strengthen the hip muscles.

Here's my position: I had some physio sessions at the beginning of the year which helped to stabilise my right knee a little (muscles had weakened due to hip problems, knee made a lot of clunky noises). That helped improve my right side a bit; however, I was told not to do excercises if they hurt the hip. Well, most of them hurt like hell (eg. any kind of leg lifts; I can do them sitting on a chair though). I got some extra strength, and my knee got a lot stronger, but over the last few weeks my hip has become more and more unstable.

I walk short distances and can just about manage (dull ache in the hip joint) but as soon as I tackle steps it feels like the hip goes out of joint, there's a lot of cracking, and once re-adjusted I can make it down the steps (just). Also at night I often wake up and get a similar problem - as if the hip needs to re-align itself. It takes ages to settle and get comfortable again. Once settle there's not too much pain.

I think that apart from the obvious joint damage, my muscles have weakened a lot over the last few weeks and am wondering if there is anything I can do which won't aggravate the joint to tone up a little.

My OS has told me not to worry about physio, just rest and go about my daily business, but my surgery could be 4 months down the line and I would like to improve just enough to make it down the stairs (or any kind of step) a bit more easily or at least not get any worse...

Any hints or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like that hip is going fast. I would suggest you do nothing as any added activity will aggravate the hip. My left hip collapsed after having the same symptoms you are describing.

Have you had an x-ray recently? Get your GP to refer you for one. You might be joining us on the hippie side soon!

@Phoenixx29 Swimming might help or just walking slowly in water - particularly warm water if available. But as Jaycey said there really is not much that will help at this stage.

@Jaycey thanks for the feedback. Just what I expected to hear really. It's definitely gone downhill quickly the last few weeks. That's why I got so excited/apprehensive/panicky when I got my pre-op date for 14th August after seeing OS last Tuesday. He sent me off for xrays after the appointment, so I didn't get to see them I expect they won't look pretty. I suppose I just have to hang in there. Got a couple of weeks off work early August, so I'll have some time to rest. BTW love your donkeys.

@djklaugh thanks for the suggestion - the problem is getting into the pool. My local pool doesn't have steps in, and due to bad shoulders I can't go on my own right now. Husba doesn't swim...And they only have communal changing rooms - that's a big no-no for me. There's a leisure pool (with waves and slides etc) just being refurbished down the road from me - this might be an option for me as they should open soon. Will check it out when my new hip has healed enough - chilling under fake palm trees:rofsign:.

I know I'm repeating what's been said before but
but as soon as I tackle steps it feels like the hip goes out of joint, there's a lot of cracking, and once re-adjusted I can make it down the steps
I can explain that. Your bone-on-bone hip is so roughed up and craggy, when you move it, it's like changing gears on the car. However, once you get it largely realigned, then it stops hurting.
My OS has told me not to worry about physio, just rest and go about my daily business
Then why not listen to him!? You're not going to be able to do much in 4 months anyway and might even cause a Pain storm. So be sparing with your activity if you want to avoid this calamity.

@Josephine

Thanks so much for your input!

it's like changing gears on the car.

That's spot on! I have had a copy of the letter from the last consultation through this weekend - I'm at stage 4 secondary OA in my hip, so I'm definitely not going to do anything to aggravate my hip any further.

To be honest, I was really clutching at straws trying to help improve the hip muscles. I thought if anyone knows what to do - I'll find the answer here.

I suppose one thing I could try and do is lose a few pounds; this will be hard as I can't exercise, but from what I have read, one pound lost is the equivalent to six as far as impact on the hip joint is concerned. Even if this is perhaps exaggerated - it is certainly an incentive. If nothing else, it will give me something to do - counting calories :heehee:.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom