TKR Physical therapy

Curious , how do edit my thread to correct any spelling errors.
At the lower left of your post, under your signature (procedure and date), you should see two text links: report and edit.

Editing a post
Hi Lee,
Check the explanation above. Let us know if you have further questions.
A great week to you!
@Lee.G

If I remember correctly you can not edit after 24 hours.

I believe you have 48 hours.
Unless it was changed and the article wasn't updated.

Day 21,
Very little pain, I am walking around the house without a walker or cane, limping because of stiffness and some swelling. I am still using Tylenol as prescribed.
Knee at times feels a little weak or weird when walking.
PT checked ROM. With a little struggle and no pain, the bend is around 89 to 90 depending how I adjust my hip while sitting.

limping because of stiffness and some swelling.
Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

1670298055216-png.87073

Glad you're doing so well. Keep up the good work and enjoy the day! :SUNsmile:

I had moments of "weak or weird when walking" especially with my first TKA and though I quickly felt ok without a cane in the house, I used one on outings for another few weeks because it seemed more secure. Lots of structures got moved around in there and they WILL settle into place!

I can sit in a chair and slowly massage my leg to loosen my knee up to get a 92 deg bend. I am now walking outside holding a cane in hand but not using it.

My knee at times feels like a tight band around it and the knee is still swollen some.

I tried using a fitness chair pedal exerciser today and can use it while stretched out not bending my knee a great deal, my plan is to move the pedal exerciser close to me daily.
Pain level runs about 0 to 3 during day and at times I get a small annoying pain while sleeping.
I sit in bed with leg straight out when relaxing versus chair. Pumping ankles and lifting leg regularly.

Going on 4th week and I feel like I am finally improving.

Last edited:
Lee, this is a wonderful report for so early in your recovery!
That "tight band" is possibly the most common description I have read over my months here.
Like you, I found early on that gentle movement and massage with my hands let the knee relax, allowing greater range of motion. Relaxation is much more productive than trying to force it!

At full 4 weeks as of this coming Tues with Right knee TKR. With a little work I can bend to 92 deg with no pain. Still feels weird.
The steri-strips are finally starting to loosen up, i found sitting in shower working my knee and bending helps my upper leg muscles loosen up a little more.
I have not been on oxycodone for a week now so I decided to see how I can drive the car around the neighborhood.
Even though my knee feels stiff I was able to work the gas and brake pedals with no issues using my right leg.
I am glad I found this site , reading other stories on this site has helped me understand what to expect.
My in home PT is not pushy and said I was defiantly on track with healing and my doctor should be happy with my progress.
Thanks

I have not been on oxycodone for a week now so I decided to see how I can drive the car around the neighborhood.
Even though my knee feels stiff I was able to work the gas and brake pedals with no issues using my right leg.
Be careful with driving this early in your recovery. You have to be sure you can do a panic stop without reservation. Also, many insurance companies will not cover you until your OS releases you to drive. It's better to be safe than sorry.

I am glad I found this site , reading other stories on this site has helped me understand what to expect.
We're happy you found us too. Thanks for joining us and sharing your progress with others.
Have a great Thanksgiving!

4 weeks post op. 92 deg Rom, walking without assistance.
The in home therapist released me and now the fun begins with facility Therapy.
I was told they will be aggressive with more advanced equipment.
The in home PT suggested to tell the therapy facility that I have been doing great with guidance and to let me be in charge on the routines they show me to do. I will not allow any force for sure.
My body, my pain and my knee.

Thanks

I was told they will be aggressive with more advanced equipment.
Just because they are doesn't mean you have to be. You stay in total control of what happens to your knee and you'll be much better off!

I will not allow any force for sure.
My body, my pain and my knee.
Exactly! It's your recovery -- not theirs -- and you don't have to make anyone happy but you.

You have the right attitude, Lee. Stick to your plan and don't stall your recovery.
Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving.
Have a nice weekend! :wave:
@Lee.G

Doctor visit 31 days post op.

Everything is looking good, flex as expected at 92 to 95 range, i am clear to drive and getting ready to start PT at a facility next week.
Pain in 1 to 3 during day and upper leg muscle cramps and tightness comes and goes while sleeping at night.

Sounds like you are doing well for one-month post-op, @Lee.G!

Nighttime cramping and tightness is pretty normal at this stage of recovery. But sometimes it can be a signal that you are doing a bit more than your knee wants. If it continues, you might try scaling back your activity level for a few days and see if that helps.

Remember, the knee is in charge!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Eehamm
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom