THR Physical Therapy

lizard615

Country
United States United States
One week from Tuesday I get my new hip. I can’t believe I’m so excited about it! Trying to get my house clean is wearing me out. My question was regarding physical therapy. I’m having somebody come to the house. Thoughts on physical therapy? How long did everybody continue with physical therapy?

Thoughts on physical therapy? How long did everybody continue with physical therapy?
Not actually needed for a new hip. Many of our members did no PT post THR. Walking is the best exercise and then not to excess. Remember - you are not in training. You are in recovery.

My surgery is Thursday. I clean a little and then rest. Maybe I can get a little done post op but getting everything done that I can. I have an outpatient appointment 6 days post op but don't expect to go more than a few weeks.
Best of luck to you.

My surgery is Thursday. I clean a little and then rest. Maybe I can get a little done post op but getting everything done that I can. I have an outpatient appointment 6 days post op but don't expect to go more than a few weeks.
Best of luck to you.

Best of luck too you too! I do the same thing. Clean a little then rest, clean a little then rest. Be sure to let us know how the surgery goes! Are you staying a few nights in the hospital?

If you're going o do physical therapy, which isn't really necessary for recovery from a hip replacement, make sure it is gentle and doesn't cause pain. Discomfort is OK. Pain is not.
Pain is a warning sign that your hip is not ready to do that yet.

This is what we advise about PT:
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
It's your body and your hip and you are allowed to set the limits on what PT you will do. You are in charge, not your therapist.

I had in home PT but we did not do any motions that were painful. This was 2 visits a week for 2 weeks and then 1 visit a week. Mainly she checked out the house for my safety and we re-covered how to do stairs and move safely. She would show me a few exercises - demonstrating them and I would show that I understood. If any movement was painful she told me to not do it at this time and try again in a week or so. I did not do most of them except for walking around the house periodically. I did do a lot of ankle pumps, butt squeezes and thigh tightening.

Tomorrow, July 28th, is my surgery.
It looks like this will be the best week weather-wise in Victoria, BC so far this summer.
I have much gratitude that this procedure is available to me.
I've been waiting for a year so I'm definitely ready.

PT. For my first hip, @lizard615 , I had in-home PT for about two weeks. I was supposed to do about 20-30 minutes of exercises three times a day. I was very compliant for 2-3 weeks but it made me tired, and wasn't fun at all. I lost my oomph and just stopped doing it. A few months in, I did some out patient PT to fix a few things.

Second hip I told the PA at my two-week FU that I'd done no PT. She said "good for you!! Walking is the best exercise for hips anyway!" I though that was pretty spooky, her quoting exactly a phrase that I think originated (many years ago) with our dear Nurse Admin Emerita Josephine! So, all I did for the second was ankle pumps for circulation, and whatever felt good, like glute squeezes before I would get up from sitting. No regimen. That hip felt better faster, but then it had felt much more solid the second I first walked on it than the first had.

Hi @ruetheday
Welcome to the forum.:wave:
You have a very lucky surgery date...my birthday:heehee: and it is going to be the beginning of getting your life back so Congratulations!
Healing hugs in advance!
See you on the healing side.

I am director of a home health agency so really don't have much need for the home safety evaluation. I will try the outpatient and see how it goes. I want to be as independent as possible as quickly as possible. Patience is a virtue and my supply may be short!

People's definition of PT can be different. My OS offered a prescription for outpatient PT but told me I won't need it and warned me that they would most likely hurt me. If you research posts on the forum you'll find that many do get hurt by PT and their progress is slower. The only PT I did with either hip was simple movements on a printed sheet my OS gave me. The majority were done lying in bed. Walking on flat ground was the best PT for me.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back