Bilateral TKR Photos 4 days post op looking good

alemana

Country
United States United States
4 days post op bilateral total knee replacement
A whole lot better than I expected, until I got to rehab and they did not have anything I needed for recovery. I hadn’t been in much pain at all I was doing great. I was transfered to rehab who wouldn’t let me use a walker until next day and approval of physical therapist and didn’t have or wouldn’t let me use ice machine or constant motion machines until about 20 hours later and physical therapist had approved the equipment as well.
It was a long painful night where I got a ton of swelling I did not previously have.
I don’t think rehab facilities should transfer patients when they can’t make these assessments upon a patients arrival.

Attachments

• CBF714D7-2316-49D2-AF4F-5536622E0DDC.jpeg
    CBF714D7-2316-49D2-AF4F-5536622E0DDC.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 27
  • EC12D78B-FEB5-4CA8-8552-946E019DA359.jpeg
    EC12D78B-FEB5-4CA8-8552-946E019DA359.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 27

Jockette

Staff member since March 18, 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Welcome to Recovery!

A rehab facility can be difficult as they have their own protocol and it can be hard to do what you feel is right for you. :console2: How long do you expect to be there? Don’t be afraid to speak up if you want things done differently. Don’t do anything with a PT that goes against your gut feeling.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Welcome to recovery! I am sorry you had such a rough start, alemana. Hopefully you're home now where you have access to ice and you're able to rest comfortably. You're a brave woman taking on bilateral surgery.

I wish you lots of comfort and all the best as you begin your healing journey, please stop by often with updates so we're able to follow your progress. We'll be here to cheer you on! :)
@alemana

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hello alemana :wave:
A belated Happy One Month Anniversary! How are you doing? Hopefully you're content and making steady progress. Please leave an update as time allows. I recall you had a lot on your plate and hope you're getting the restorative rest you need for a good recovery.
Wising you only the best and hope to hear from you very soon!
@alemana

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Cal1100.