PKR Pghkid -Partial knee replacements for biker,skier, skater

Pghkid

Country
United States United States
Thanks for passing on your experience. I had the Pkr surgery Oct 31(Thursday) at 10:30 am. I was given a nerve block and another spinal shot. Surgeon said things went perfect. I did therapy the following morning with the nerve block still inserted. I did great at the therapy pulling 123 degrees and had no problems. Was thinking this was a breeze. Then the nerve block was removed. That afternoon I did a 2nd PT and oh my reality hit home :) The PT was excruciating at best. The rest of Friday and Saturday were OUCH. Bending the knee for therapy was about the most pain I’ve ever felt in short burst. But now it’s Sunday and the swelling has decreased a little. I’m getting around trading off between walker and cane. Did PT twice. Still extremely painful when bending but maybe just a little less than prior day....so that’s a good thing.

Thought I would give a update on my situation. It's been 15 weeks since pkr on my left knee and 8 weeks on my right pkr. I still have minor pain walking down steps(1-2 out of 10) the other time I notice pain is if I sit with knees at 90 degree angle for > 1 hour(my job) The knees are stiff for about first 10 steps. So I now have a adjustable stand up desk and definitely helps. I passed two of my goals this week. One was to start ice skating again the other was to run(sprint) for 20 seconds. As for on going therapy I go to planet fitness 3 times week. I do knee bends with 30 lb weight, leg presses with Med amount of weight. 10 minute elipitical, 15 minute treadmill, and 12 minute stationary bike.
The other feeling that is constant that I hope disappears over time is on the outer portion of each knee. Looks like I still have a little swelling and it feels like I'm wearing a knee brace or knee pads. It's not painfull but it's like something is rubbing.
I understand why I read people say take time to heal. Early on i had overdone the pt on right knee. More was not better so I backed off and had rest days.
good luck to all

I'm glad things are going so well, @Pghkid .
I've moved your post-op posts and set up a recovery thread for you.
Please continue to post in this thread from now on.

Here are the recovery guidelines we give to everyone with a new knee:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft