THR PeteVT in recovery

PeteVT

Country
United States United States
HI. I have no idea how this Forum works. But Left Hip replaced Tuesday 5/2/23. In Bennington VT
Went well I think. Felt decent day and night after,
Home now,,,doing this mostly alone. Moving very slow..very....a bit of pain of course. Mainly moving from chair to bed to chair. A little toast and coffee now. I had a bowel movement late last night...!!!...was a nice surprise.
But also some waves of nausea that did pass. Wish us all luck...

@PeteVT Welcome to the other side. I moved your post to a recovery thread for you. Please keep all your updates and question here so that we have your history in one place if we need to advise you.

Little snacks throughout the day may ease that nausea. Pain medication can upset things at times. If it gets bad call your family doctor or surgeon and ask for anti-nausea medication.

Slow and steady is the best approach to this recovery!

I'll leave our recovery guidelines here for you:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi Day 4 here. I'm doing well. Managing pain with as little Tramadol as I can. Keeps colon happier I hope.
Keeping gently active. Several spots around my apartment where I can move to and settle down comfortably.
Doing this mostly alone.... I'm keeping cell phone in a small bag around my neck.
Been using ice on my hip almost constantly...minimal swelling or bruising that I can see.
Bandage clear...no marks at all.
Good luck to us all

Welcome, PeteVT

This site has been a godsend to me since I discovered it last year following a knee replacement, then officislly joined this March to help me prepare (and recover from) a hip replacement.

I would suggest that if you gain nothing else by reading people's stories, you will learn that every single recovery is different, and if we start to compare ourselves to others, we can easily feel superior or inferior. (Most of life is like that, isn't it?)

Last year I experienced a lot of warmth around my knee, came here, and found several postings from other people that spoke of the same issue. This reassured me that it was normal. This is merely one example of the questions I've had answered through this forum without even having to ask the question.

Good luck to you, and remember, as someone above wrote, you are NOT alone because you have us.

@PeteVT :wave:Welcome to the healing side and so glad you've joined us. You do sound as though you're doing really well. Ice is wonderful, I wasn't a big fan until I had my THR, total convert now.

Jaycey left you lots of helpful stuff to read and there's usually someone here no matter time of day or night if you have questions.

I will add a word of caution, hope I don't sound like a downer, please listen to your body and don't push your recovery. Your body is in charge and there's pretty much nothing you can do to speed it up. Yes, there are days it gets boring, almost like watching paint dry! But if you push it you can end up in the ODIC (overdid it club) and/or set your recovery back. Think of recovery as a marathon not a sprint and that marathon is like a roller coaster. :heehee:

Hey Pete you are in the middle of some of the best IPA beer in the world up there. Frost, Burlington Beer Co. and some darn good skiing too! Foliage unbeatable in the fall. Beautiful state. Welcome!

Hello Pete,
Welcome and thanks for joining us! It sounds like you're doing really well. If you have any questions, get bored or lonely, stop by for some company. We'll be here. It can be interesting reading other's threads, but we also have a Social area that may be of interest when you want a change of pace.
Here's a link - Social Room
I look forward to following your journey and hope you have a peaceful weekend! :)
@PeteVT

Welcome Pete, my fellow New Englander!
You will find this site informational as well as motivational.
We've all been where you are and I think once you have had this surgery it's nice to share with fellow "hippies" your experiences.

Its been 20 days since my left hip replacement. I thought I'd be a basket case for weeks,but I'm walking freely with help from a cane. No Tramadol for 8 days. No Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen for 4 days. I have had diarrhea for days now. I used up what little Pepto Bismol and Imodium I had on hand. Waiting for Fed-Ex to delivery more today/tomorrow. Staying hydrated. I'm guessing the antibioctics I had at the hospital knocked out the good flora and fauna in my gut. Eating just a little yogurt and saurkraut. Shopping for some kind of Probiotic now.

Sounds like you are coming along, too bad about the stomach issues but these meds wreck havoc with your digestive system for sure.

I’m jealous you already don’t need pain meds or OTC pills! Good job! Sorry about the stomach issues. That sounds miserable. Take care!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back