THR Peshay’s March 6 THR

Peshay

Country
Australia Australia
THR left hip scheduled for 6th March. Just had pre-op Blood and Urine test and ECG, so it’s Starting to feel real close. Apprehensive but looking forward to getting it done. At this stage plan is to do right hip two weeks later, everything going well and me maintaining my resolve after the first. Really would like to get both done in the same year. Not looking forward to missing the gym but can’t wait to be able to walk pain free. Great to be here.

@Peshay Hi and Welcome!

I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:

Best wishes with both hip replacements! Here is some pre op information for you:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Good to hear you are getting close to being pain-free in your hip @Peshay! If all goes to plan, after two weeks you can probably handle your second hip (some get both on the same day!), but everyone recovers at a different pace, so don’t be too afraid of putting it off if you aren’t feeling up to it. I hear you on missing the gym. I am just over 3 weeks post-surgery and I’m going stir crazy. Been working out at home but it’s not the same. Best of luck!

Thanks Caison, great to hear you’ve made it to the other side. Can’t wait to join you.

Hi @Peshay
:welome:to Bonesmart.
I found this community of Those who Know right before my BTHR and I feel like it was a very useful part of having a less stressful recovery.
I had my hips replaced both at once as they were apparently both toast :nah:and though the first months were a bit tough, I am grateful for having essentially one recovery.

I've seen many members who have had THR'S approximately 3 months apart and we did have one other member I recall who had them 1 week ? or maybe it was 2 weeks apart.
I can't remember the name but I do remember they did very well.
Not looking forward to missing the gym but can’t wait to be able to walk pain free.
I'm not going to lie... I get nervous when I realize a new hippy is a gym denizon as often those members can have a hard time grasping the concept of Heal First and your patience muscle will definitely need to stay toned up to let you get back to healthy and happy.
On the flip side, being fit will definitely help and Upper Body Strength helped me immensely in my recovery.
Walking pain free after years of pain and decreasing range of motion... Priceless!:egypdance::happydance::egypdance:

Thank you Mojo, appreciate your words of advice. I’ll be as patient as I have to be with my new hip(s) but do hope to one day be back doing some form of leg work in the gym.

No desire to ever squat or deadlift again but hope to be able to leg press, which I’ve managed to persist with even while hardly being able to walk around the gym.

Would love to hear from other post-op patients who’ve got back into leg training at the gym.

Main goal at this stage though is just being able to walk again.

I don’t do heavy weights anymore. My routine is kickboxing and kettlebells or steel mace routines. Then add in some stationary bike, hiking and tennis. That said, your simple ability to squat will be much improved. I do squats with kettlebells (either two 54lb or one 72lb) and I basically couldn’t pre-op due to range of motion and pain issues. With the new hardware, that is all gone so I first start working on flexibility and get deeper into the squat. Again, hardly powerlifting weights, but I’m trying to maintain a functional strength without bulking up.

I just had my 2nd hip done so have to wait a bit, but expect to be even better now that I don’t have limitations on either side (other than precautionary ones for the prosthetic). If you look on YouTube you will find some examples of people back in the gym post-surgery.

Thanks Caison, the thought of being able to do a body weight squat is very exciting. Been a long, long time since I could last do that. Can’t wait to get back some flexibility, that said I’ll wait as long as I need to. Going to be very kind to my new hip(s), unlike the way I’ve treated my current hips.

I can tell you that my legs don't like lifting heavy weight. I go to the gym but I don't weight train, just cardio flexibilty and tone. I do however do plenty of physical work and I just went through an injury from repetitive lifting too much weight. I went back to my OS to have the implants checked as I feared I did damage, but lucky for me it's just strained muscles.

Thanks for your input Eman, glad to hear your implants are okay.

Best Wishes tomorrow!
Please join us on the healing side once you're back home and resting comfortably.
We'd love to follow your progress and offer support along the way. Hope to see you there soon!
@Peshay

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member