BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Period and femoral osteotomy

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by lsmith, Jan 10, 2019.

1. lsmith

lsmith junior member

Australia Australia
    Hi everyone! (Though this one is probably aimed more at the ladies)

So I’m going for my second femoral osteotomy on my right side this Tuesday, however, my period is only hours from arriving as I’ve started you know.. spotting (sorry if TMI!!).

I’m wanting to know how it’s often dealt with as my surgery is four hours long and I will have a catheter in for 24-48 hours after the operation.. I’m freaking out a little bit as it’s not going to make things any easier or any more comfortable, just another thing to have to try and deal with unfortunately.

Thank you ☺️

2. kangaroo

kangaroo graduate

No advice here except to say that I am sure you are not the first or the last in this situation.
    I am having surgery in two weeks and I expect that I could be in the same boat as you. I am praying my 52 year old body might decide to finally go into menopause!! I spoke to the GP and she was reticient to put me onto the pill which is the usual way of stopping periods, because it might also cause blood clots. She did say that if a period does happen thy can give some drug (primulat?? -australian name for it perhaps?) which tells your uterus to stop bleeding, but again I don't expect they would want that to happen mid surgery because of the risk of clots.

3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Worry not! Just tell the nurses when you check into the hospital. They deal with this all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    :wave:@lsmith
    Good to see you on forum again!
    Not convenient to have your "friend" in town when you have your surgery but yea...they have seen it all!:whistle:
    Do make sure you are eating well...include some iron rich foods shook you can go into this with a cranking immune system!
    We are rooting for you.:roseshwr:

5. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

@lsmith it is nice to see you again on the forum. It sounds like you are getting all your issues taken care of. I’m sure having your period makes you feel a bit uncomfortable but like others have said, I’m sure this is no big deal for those in the medical field. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you could always call your OS’s nurse and talk to her about it. Other than that, as Jaycee said, just tell the nurses when you get to the hospital. Sending healing wishes your way for your upcoming procedure! :flwrysmile::yes!::flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. lsmith

lsmith junior member

Australia Australia
    @Mojo333
    Yes I’m back!! Unfortunately the first operation didn’t go as planned so I’m off for a revision, hopefully it goes a little better this time around ☺️

@Jaycey I think I’m just freaking out a little bit! All the nerves come out and this is just adding to it! But I’m sure all will be fine, the reassurance from other members on here is a big help

@GrannyC Thats exactly it! I feel uncomfortable knowing that it’ll be a bit awkward for me, but then I remember the only person thinking that is me as I’m sure the nurses deal with that kind of thing all the time! I did end up speak to his nurse and they explained what will happen and now I’m far more relaxed about it ☺️

@kangaroo oh no!! How frustrating right! Well I hope it holds off for you as the extra stress isn’t great! I’m on birth control as I have rather painful periods and for that reason I skip them! But I totally forgot about surgery and then didn’t have enough time to have one before, I was praying it would hold off but obviously it had other plans! I spoke to the nurse who works closely with my surgeon so this may be of use to you.. she said that they won’t use the catheter and no tampons are to be used, so pads it is :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi, @lsmith
    Nice to hear from you! Sorry you're experiencing another surgery.
    I understand your concern but agree with everyone above that to the medical professionals it's no biggie.
    Wishing you all the best on Tuesday and comfort as you wait. Stay in touch...
    Hugs