People have no idea!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KathyH

post-grad
I told the President of our college where I work the date of my TRK and how scared I am. Her reply? "If it was your abdomen, heart or head, that would be different, but it's only your knee". Was she just trying to pacify me?? Knowing her, not so.

When I told the Bursar (my line manager) he said "It's done by keyhole surgery isn't it?"

People 'not in the know' just have no idea, do they? I might e-mail the Bursar a video.........:hissy:

I am sorry to read of their responses, but many people think that it is "only" arthroscopic surgery. I would suggest that your President or your Bursar watch this video:

If the view this, they may change their mind on what your recovery will be like and why it will be different.

I told the President of our college where I work the date of my TRK and how scared I am. Her reply? "If it was your abdomen, heart or head, that would be different, but it's only your knee". Was she just trying to pacify me?? Knowing her, not so.

When I told the Bursar (my line manager) he said "It's done by keyhole surgery isn't it?"

People 'not in the know' just have no idea, do they? I might e-mail the Bursar a video.........:hissy:
yes must agree but till you have op you dont know had my ltkr 30 may read a lot about it but thought i would be riding my bike again soon.Big mistake on my part thought fairly fit few weeks rest i will be fine, wrong.Trying knee slide and leg lift when brother was here i was really trying lifted leg about 6" ,he just said you have got new knee should be easy but you look as though that was hard.Big laugh

Same here,
I had no clue the length of recovery. Just that I would be OK to drive after 6 weeks. Thought no worries back to work, should be able to do all the stuff I want to do by 6 weeks. My OS said I was a candidate for getting both joints done and still would be good to go back to work in 6 weeks, so after having done little or no research except watching the video I had the surgery done. All fairly good so far, but not where I thought I would be after 8 weeks. Now I know expect it to take 6 months to a year to get close to normal. I see this as an opportunity to get much better over time. Better now than I was prior to TKR, but the future holds unlimited potential. A Marathon of getting better.

Yes 6 months sounds about right way i am going,before op rode bike nearly every day swam twice a week as well 30 leangths thought keep muscles strong not be long .I think did help but not as much as i thought need other knee doing maybe but have better idea now,i did too much first 2 weeks,but following physios advice now coming on better but lost 2 weeks

Have e-mailed the video to the Bursar. I know he'll still make light of it though :headbang: :whistle:

Kathy
xx

Kathy, a lot of people who have not undergone TKR's simply don't understand. They think it is a simple procedure that will make you feel so much better right after surgery! I remember after my 1st surgery someone asking me why they didn't do it as a day surgery! :loll: I sent them a link to a similar video, and the next time I saw them, they wanted to know how I was able to walk so soon after having that done to my knee! :)

I think the two words 'knee replacement' says it all really. Funny, I get my words mixed up sometimes and keep referring to my 'knee transplant' :rotfl:

"Only" your knee? Honestly, some people really don't seem to have a clue. And knee replacement by key hole surgery - how did he figure that one out? I have also have had to listen to stories about some people being able to play squash after 3 weeks of having a total knee replacement. Yeah right, that I would have liked to have seen. I wouldn't worry about it though. Once you can show off your scar I'm sure they will realise how wrong they were.

Actually, this reminds me of a conversation I had with my husband just recently. After having explained to him (well, trying to) what is involved in the surgery,the recovery and all that for the last few months, he said to me: "When you've had your knee replacement - is there going to be a scar?" LOL. In his defense - he doesn't "do" hospitals or blood so he's put his head in the sand I think. :rofsign:. And he will be there to look after me - although I might have to hide the scar from him!

Hi Kathy!

I have another one for you! One of the gym members at the place where I go to PT asked me how long it took before I was out of bed and walking. When I replied the same day, his mouth dropped open! I guess most people think we go and have our knee replaced and they just let us "rest" afterwards!:heehee:

... I have also have had to listen to stories about some people being able to play squash after 3 weeks of having a total knee replacement. Yeah right, that I would have liked to have seen.
And when you ask them if they know that person personally, the story teller will say no it's a friend of a friend or something like that. If the teller says they do know the person, demand a phone number because you want to find out how it's done!

Playing squash, hah! Drinking squash, maybe.

Ha ha, these stories are making me laugh. Waiting for some more misconceptions now :whistle: Might be a good idea to make a list of them, to amuse us all :loll:

Kathy
xx

You could be right, Kathy. I often think that with some of them it's not so much they don't know as they don't WANT to know! It's like being mortal - we all know about it but so long as we avoid the issue, we can pretend it's not true! :rotfl:

Only just seen this thread Kathy - lots of ignorance out there! I have had several of these responses too. "Did you stay in overnight?" NOOOOO I drove home & coooked dinner - not! :gaah:

The one I keep hearing is oh so and so had this surgery and is doing great! I had a former co worker have one, and she was one of the exceptional folks who heal really well and quickly, and all I hear is "oh you will be fine, Merry just had it done, and is doing great. Well Merry doesn't have the health issues I do, and won't have to deal with those challenges as well as rehab a new knee. I experience much the same ignorance with my Crohns Disease. I hear oh my friend of a friend has that, and if you eat this or take this herb or......you will be "cured". My disease has NO cure! Anyways, you get my point! Ignorance is bliss I guess! Hugs!

I agree with the ignorance factor when people have no experience with what they are talking about, these are the same people that if they break a nail or stub a toe you would swear they were dying!:gaah:

I agree with the ignorance factor when people have no experience with what they are talking about, these are the same people that if they break a nail or stub a toe you would swear they were dying!:gaah:

Oh I could not agree more!!! As I mentioned I also have Crohns Disease, and I will hear folks say how horrible of a bout of stomach flu they had, and they understand. No you don't!! You had the stomach flu for a few days, try living with what feels like the stomach flu everyday of your life. And my treatments for the Crohns is more than likely what has brought me to needing a knee replacement in the first place. It is crazy some of the dumb things people say. But I do have to say we TKR's are some tough people. This surgery is no walk in the park!!

How did you find out that you had Crohns disease? I am looking for some answers about now and becoming more and more frustrated. yes, I know, go to the doctor is what most people would say, but what are the symptoms?

It first began with the horrible cramps that would briefly drop you to your knees, then began this unending diarrhea, eventually anything I ate or drank would just go right thru me. You need to see a Gastroenterologist. The testing is not pleasant, but generally starts with a colonoscopy and/or a pill camera. I read you have had an anal fistula. Very common with Crohns Disease. Although thankfully I have never had one. I suffer more with bowel obstructions with my Crohns. I personally also suffer with alot of nausea too. Had it now for 37 years and believe it or not, the last 10 have been my worst, with multiple surgeries and treatments. Ask anything and I will answer. Hugs!

People do not have any understanding of what it has been like to undergo a TKR or a BTKR---but then again, many of us ended up learning about it on the fly, so to speak, too. I myself was terribly ignorant about what to expect and how recovery would be, so it was a great thing to find Bonesmart. Many think that it is as simple as an arthroscopic surgery, and they are horribly, horribly mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562