Pending THR in April (UK)

hippychic

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi

I'm only 55 so in a bit of shock that I need a THR, pending 2nd consultation 21st March with a date of 16th April pencilled in for op.

However I have some concerns as 1st consultation discussed epidural and sedation and as I had L5 S1 disc surgery 20 years ago and am now advised I have scoliosis too, starting to feel anxious as do not want to aggravate back issue.

Any comments, advice?

Tia
hippy

Hi there
I had my first RTHR 6 years ago with Spinal & sedation... also had bi-lateral discectomy and compression... Like you, I was apprehensive but it was fine... no trouble during or after with my back.
I’m having LTHR on 20th March & am going for Spinal again. It meant I was up walking, albeit only a few steps, the same evening. Take care x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My THR was my first surgery. I also had epidural and sedation and it was absolutely fine - woke up in the recovery room and eating soon after. It was my first surgery and I was a bit apprehensive but on the day I was fine. I had to have the operation so I could walk properly again and get my life back. Staff in the hospital were brilliant.

I was booked in for four nights (standard at my hospital) but came out after three by which time I was fine getting around the house.

Thanks Hoppy Nanny and Hertshippy for your speedy reply and experiences, really good to hear all went well and you did not have any problems with the spinal :loll:and good luck with the up and coming op too Hoppy

Its just one of those things 9x out of 10 its fine unless ur the one time its not and having these back issues and having to be careful for last 20 years am just really anxious not to get some relief from hip pain by replacing with more back issues.

Think ill try and keep an open mind chat to my consultant and see how i feel then its all abit overwhelming as wasnt expecting a THR
xxx

@hippychic
Of course you are apprehensive (I was.. about everything). This time I’ve been seeing an osteopath for a few weeks prior to this op & she has put my back in good order... it’s 27 years since I had spinal surgery but still take care with my back..xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:welome: to Bonesmart and what a wonderful tool it was for me for my recovery. Finding out you need a hip replacement is jarring - for sure.
Of course our medical situations are different as I had horrid back pain for years but no imaging would confirm an issue so imagine my surprise when FINALLY I got the diagnosis of endstage OA in both hips...and had my replacements two months before my 54th Birthday!
Even though apparently it was not my back...it sure did affect it terribly and BTHR has alleviated the back issue by 95 per cent!
A bad hip certainly can't help your back.
I hope you have confidence in your surgeon so you can move forward with some confidence and comfort.

@hippychic I have major spinal issues and had spinal and sedation for both my THRs. I did have sciatic pain just after my LTHR but it settled quickly. No problems during my RTHR. Spinals are so much easier to recover from - no groggy feeling or nausea.

Hi Hoppy, yes ive been seeing a osteo over the last year too as back/hip/leg areas have been getting more painful and restrictive, but not seen him since THR diagnosis so following your comments think might try and get a few sessions in beforehand too, if its going to help with op and recover.
Thanks again
x

Last edited:
Hi Mojo333 and Jacey, thanks for accepting me in the group and your replies.
I guess like most things before my diagnosis 2 weeks ago I never knew or gave THR a thought as not really come into me life....so finding this site yesterday has really given me some great information/background and advice already, as i'm someone who likes to have all the info and try and make things as easy as possible.
The info re preparation/vitamins and exercises ive seen already along with the info re mental and physical attitude will be invaluable to my recovery if feel.....
So thanks in advance
xxx
ps happy to hear your surgery went well and there is life without pain

Last edited:
:flwrysmile: Hello Hippychic! I think you will have the opportunity to meet with the anesthetist prior to your surgery to discuss your concerns. Try to start a list of questions for different consultations.

Lots of great advice here!

Love your avatar! I'm happy to report that even with the fifteen pounds I've gained over the past year, I can still fit into my flip flops!:heehee:

Hi Carriemay60
Thanks for the advice and yes thank you, I have started to make a list as there wasn't really that much discussed at my 1st consultation other than need a THR, not sure about the anaesthetist as dont think i meet them til day of the op........
hippy.x

lol thanks mojo333, just trying to work out an exit plan to make that bucket list dream a reality and flip flops are always faithful regardless of our changing shapes and sizes.......:martini:
x

Hi @hippychic
I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to wish you well before surgery.
Hoping your pain is managed well and that you get a recovery thread started so we can follow this journey.
Healing hugs:roseshwr:

@hippychic hope everything has gone well with surgery. Let us know when you're up to it.

Update;-
I was all set to go but unfortunately my op was cancelled due to emergency, am now rescheduled for 21st May and starting to feel very anxious again.....even tho the daily pain has increased over last month and am now limping, still finding difficult to come to terms with,,,,,,,:sad:
Was nervous about the spinal block so discussed with an anaesthetist which did allay my fears a bit, but then he said the op could aggravate my disc op and scoliosis........arrghhh

Hi mojo33 and Elf1, thanks for your messages, sorry missed them and only just seen when i posted my update, hope all well with you both.x

Sorry you had your surgery cancelled...but now I CAN wish you well prior to..:loveshwr:
I know this is nerve wracking so I'm praying for comfort and peace for you this weekend!:praying:

Morning @hippychic. Here you are the light at the end of this horrible tunnel is so bright :happydance:(that's me in my head) sending smiles and happy thoughts to you! Tell them to get ur done, you got stuff to do!:catbutterfly:

Hi Mojo333......lol :loll:yes and thanks, just trying to stay calm and finish last couple things off........am feeling a bit hormonal and emotional at the moment and would you believe have got up this morning after a painful night and my hip isnt as painful as has been over last month, its moments like this i think shall i wait.....:unsure: but know i need to carry on......

Hi julesglass thanks for the good thoughts and words of encouragement :) fingers crossed all goes to plan this week, one mad day left at work to summarize and handover and then i should be there......

Hope you both having a good weekend:flwrysmile:

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads