TKR Peloton injury?

Tikva02

Country
United States United States
Had TKR on right knee on 1/21. Recovering well, but worried that right foot is now turning inward when I walk. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks....

Someone wiser than I will stop by soon with lots of good information and support, but I’m here to tell you that you came to the right place. BoneSmart will be very helpful in understanding what can be understood about what’s going on in your new knee.

I didn’t have the issue with my foot turning out, but, as I was starting to walk again, I, unconsciously, did all kinds of shenanigans with my leg to avoid bending and straightening. It took some real mental focus to get it right at first.

I hope you find more and more relief.

Last edited:
Hello @ - and :welome:

At this very early stage of recovery, I don't think you need to worry about your foot turning in. Give it some time for your knee to heal, for all your soft tissues to adjust, and for some of your muscle strength to return, before you get concerned. Right now, everything is still suffering from the trauma of surgery.

Here are the Recovery Guidelines we give to everyone with a new knee There's lots of useful and helpful information in them:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this advice

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Following a hip replacement my foot turned in but after some months it settled in at what seems to be natural. I won’t be surprised if the same thing happens after my bilateral knee replacements in March. More than likely once you are healed enough to be able to fully stretch and exercise your knee it will settle in and look and feel completely normal.

I started outside PT this past Monday, and I had my second session today. Although my therapist did not force my leg to bend, nor did he do anything that caused pain during the sessions, beginning the day after my first session with him my knee has been very stiff and painful and somehow feels different.
He mostly had me do the same exercises that my home PT had done, but did add a two pound ankle weight to my short arc quads. I am concerned that this weight might have done some damage to my knee. Any thoughts?

Why adding weights to Pt at this stage? Makes no sense..I am currently attending PT outside home as well, probably my 4th visit today, not once was there any talk of adding weight to an exercise...I would tell them, hold off that...the stiffness and pain is to be expected, I still have that as well

but did add a two pound ankle weight to my short arc quads.
This is a no no on a knee that less than a month old. Your knee isn't in bad shape, needing training. It is recovering from a traumatic surgery that needs only gentle movements, rest, ice and elevating.

Take control of your therapy and tell your pt absolutely no weights for at least a couple of months more.

Here’s an article from the Recovery Guidelines that has some warnings about certain PT activities:

Thanks for the article.

I have been doing the standard post-surgery exercises twice a day since week one. My next PT appointment is on Monday. Between now and then I plan to just rest, ice and elevate. Would it be a good idea to skip the exercises entirely over the weekend in an attempt to undo any damage my having worked with the ankle weights may have caused?

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I really appreciate your guidance!

I had 2 PT appointments in a row, wed/ thurs...today I am doing nothing but relaxing the knee, some icing, elevating, walking...no exercises....my next appt is Tuesday, so perhaps Sunday I will attempt some exercise ...time is your friend...Pt important, but not as important as time...just my observation !

Although my therapist did not force my leg to bend, nor did he do anything that caused pain during the sessions, beginning the day after my first session with him my knee has been very stiff and painful and somehow feels different.
He mostly had me do the same exercises that my home PT had done, but did add a two pound ankle weight to my short arc quads. I am concerned that this weight might have done some damage to my knee. Any thoughts?
Once a day is plenty for exercises. Your knee isn't lazy or unfit - it's wounded after major surgery and it needs time and gentle treatment, so it can heal.

Remember what we told you in the Recovery Guidelines:
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

Your knee is telling you that the PT session was far too much for it. Weights are never appropriate this early in recovery. Please don't allow anyone to use them on your knee again.

It's your knee and only you have the right to say what happens to it. While other people can advise you, you also have the right to choose whether or not to accept that advice. So, it's up to you to say what you will allow at PT. In case you think you con't do that, read this article:
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Thanks for the article.

I have been doing the standard post-surgery exercises twice a day since week one. My next PT appointment is on Monday. Between now and then I plan to just rest, ice and elevate. Would it be a good idea to skip the exercises entirely over the weekend in an attempt to undo any damage my having worked with the ankle weights may have caused?
A rest sounds like a good idea. I'm sorry they put ankle weights on you. So unnecessary right now. I think just your daily activities would be plenty for this weekend.

I am almost six months post-op, having had a right total knee replacement on January 21st 2020. I was doing great, with 0 degrees extension and 120 degrees flexion, and had no problem at all doing all my regular activities including swimming laps for 30 minutes every morning.

I bought a Peloton stationary bike and it was delivered two weeks ago. I started with short rides with low resistance, and gradually increased the length and resistance of my rides. This past Tuesday I raised my seat about an inch higher than it had been previously and did a 30 minute advanced beginner class followed by a 10 minute cool down class. During the first class I noticed my right hamstring was hurting, but I didn’t think anything of it. When I got off the bike, my knee hurt quite a bit, and was much more swollen than it had been before I did the class. My hamstring continued to hurt as well. I think I had my seat up too high and was over extending my knee as a result. The swelling and pain have not gone away, and I am worried that I may have damaged my new knee. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Last edited:
@Tikva02
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

When I got off the bike, my knee hurt quite a bit, and was much more swollen than it had been before I did the class. My hamstring continued to hurt as well. I think I had my seat up too high and was over extending my knee as a result. The swelling and pain have not gone away, and I am worried that I may have damaged my new knee.
Our implants are quite sturdy, it is unlikely you damaged the implant. Most likely with 40 minutes at a higher setting you irritated and inflamed the soft tissue around your knee.

You are only half way through this yearlong+ recovery, and your knee has let you know loud and clear you did too much too soon.
Time for slowing down and letting your knee heal from the recent Peloton session. When you start back take it slow and easy.
It can be hard to figure out when you have done too much. Our knees usually give us a delayed response making finding the balance between just right and too much challenging.

This recovery is a marathon not a sprint.

Suggest you return to icing and elevating to help reduce the pain, inflammation, and swelling until your knee settles.

This past Tuesday I raised my seat about an inch higher than it had been previously and did a 30 minute advanced beginner class followed by a 10 minute cool down class. During the first class I noticed my right hamstring was hurting, but I didn’t think anything of it.
Thanks so much

I don't have a peloton but I ride a regular road bike. I would say an inch adjustment to seat height is a LOT if it was reasonably close to begin with. I would recommend dropping it down either back to the original height or at least 3/4ths of an inch. I wouldn't it adjust it more than about a 1/4 inch at a time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back