TKR Pedal Exerciser

Susie-Q

Staff member since February2, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Hi! :wave: My story might be a little unusual. It begins 10 years ago (in 2010) at the age of 43. I had my first TKR (right knee) done after suffering for a few years from osteoarthritis. My doc was a leader in the field and came highly recommended. (Pierce Scranton) He didn't balk at my age and said let's get that knee fixed so you can go on and live an active life. I had a good recovery and was very glad I got it done. Within the next year he retired. I was passed on to another knee doc. My left knee needed a meniscus repair so I had that done a couple of years after. Since then I have lost about 60 lbs, my left knee has slowly deteriorated but never to the point that I was thinking of replacing it yet. I'm 53 now. My second doc has now retired. I haven't seen him in at least 5-7 years, there was no need. I have a list of highly recommended docs and just need to pull the pin and go see one or two and get my records transferred.

My question is, have new treatments emerged in the past few years? I remember getting injections in my left knee (cortisone?) but they really didn't do much. I remember hearing something about Synvisk but haven't had that done. My left knee is slowly getting worse and worse. Arthritis is making the joint feel very weak and like it's going to give out occasionally. I am icing it regularly. We got a Labrador puppy :dogsniff:back in April and she has grown to a 70lb monster. I walk her every day but lately those walks are getting painful. Anyway, as someone who hasn't gone to the knee doctor for a long time I was wondering what might be new now compared to 10 years ago. I'm sure surgeries have gotten even more precise (I was one of the first to get the computer-aided kind).

Moderators, I used to post here 10 years ago and had a recovery thread but for the life of me I can't remember what my user name and password is. I think I was SusieQ or something similar and my TKR was in late June 2010. I had to reregister since I couldn't remember. I'd be happy to use my original login if someone could figure out what it was. :heehee:

Thank you for finding that, @alexthecat . :flwrysmile:

@DaisyDoo, I will ask to have your accounts merged. Which username would you like to have - Susie-Q or DaisyDoo?

Let's just go with Susie-Q. Thank you very much!

Things are progressing gradually in the joint replacement field and there are a few variations in techniques but basically your best chance of getting a good outcome still lies with choosing a good surgeon. You need a surgeon who specializes in knee and hip replacments and who does at least 500 a year.

Here are a few articles to help you prepare for surgery:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Thanks, Celle! I'm fully aware of what it's like to have a new knee and the recovery process since I've had one done already but I will check out all the articles you posted. thank you! :thumb:

I'm fully aware of what it's like to have a new knee and the recovery process since I've had one done already
You may be surprised to find that your second TKR follows its own recovery path, instead of conforming to the path your first TKR took.

No two knees are alike in their recovery, even two knees done by the same surgeon on the same day. So, when you get to recovery, do try not to compare knees.

Yes, I've heard this, Celle. I've heard the second can be harder than the first too.

Thanks for posting those links above. After going through the Score Chart I'm realizing my knee isn't as bad as I was thinking it was.

I've had three knee replacements. My second one was a revision from a PKR that gave me eleven good years before its spacer broke.
The revision recovery was no worse than my original recovery. I think that was because my first replacement was done after I'd had to wait for 9 years and my knee was in pretty bad condition when it finally had surgery. During that wait, my knee had lost condition (and so had I) and some of its muscles and tendons had distorted.

When my other knee needing replacing, I did it as soon as possible, presenting my surgeon with less complicated work during surgery, and I had a much easier recovery than my first replacement.

I hear about people having to wait so long to actually get their knee replaced and it makes me sad. So much pain and for what? My first doc had no problem replacing mine after looking at my x-rays and knowing how much pain I was in and I was only 43! He said let's get it fixed and get you out there enjoying life! If my new doc thinks 53-55 is too young he/she will have no argument as I had already had the first one done when I was so young. My replaced knee? Still going strong and no problems after 10 years.

Does anyone here use a pedal exerciser rather than a stationary bike in their knee replacement recovery? My surgeon recommended I get ahold of a stationary bike for home use. I've checked Offer Up and they are still fairly expensive. A pedal exerciser can be had for around $40-50. You can get them with resistance too. A PT friend of mine (who lives out of state) thinks a pedal exerciser is too low -key for me.

@Susie-Q
I moved your post from the recovery forum to the pre op forum. We only have recovery threads on the recovery forum.

Please keep questions here, many members do come back to this forum after they have their surgery and read the pre op threads.

Best wishes as you continue to prepare for surgery! :flwrysmile:

Thanks for moving it, Jockette. I didn't realize I had posted it in the wrong forum. :flwrysmile:

We’ll, I did, too! I merged it with this thread but forgot to move it to pre op, so it was still in recovery. :heehee: None of us are perfect! One of my favorite sayings is, “this is why we travel in groups,”

And I didn’t have a bike, so I can’t comment.

I did borrow a pedal exerciser, but I didn’t like sitting on a chair to use it, the whole position was just “off” for me, and I have a foot problem, and right where the ball of my foot rested on the pedal upset my foot problem more, so that was that! Sometimes one just can’t win. :gaah:

I used a pedal exerciser prior to surgery and continue to use it post op. I believe the pre op helped me gain more flexibility quicker post op. I never was comfortable on a bicycle seat so opted for the pedal exerciser versus stationary bike. As my recovery continues, I am gradually increasing the resistance so the knee works a bit harder and is getting stronger.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom