TKR Pecanpie's recovery thread<

:wow::thumb:

That is all quite wonderful!

Aren't the comparative xrays amazing? I'd seen my old-knee xrays before, but I didn't know enough to know what I was seeing, if that makes sense. At my first follow up I got to see the upgrade right next to the original. Wow. My husband at first thought they were from different angles! Just entirely crazy. How did we even walk on those things?

Nice to get a good report (and a decent nights sleep) I've encountered many doctors over the years and the best ones truly leave you feeling better!!! Its not just about the surgery, the human need for encouragement also plays a big part in your recovery I think.
That’s so nice that you came away so encouraged. My doctor had a pleasant personality but he was big on measurements every appointment and would push my knee to a painful place to get the highest number. I dreaded my check ups, and I had many. I always came away annoyed and frustrated. I would love to have been discharged at 9 weeks like you!

The whole measurement thing is just bizarre ... I reached the age of 52 without knowing that there was such a thing as a ROM measurement!

2 weeks before my TKR...my dodgy knee was measured at 115/0 (my good knee was 125/-5)

My surgeon said pre op ROM is a good indicator of potential post op.... at 115 I was able to do pretty much everything I needed to (albeit in constant pain).

I'm not quite back to pre op bendiness. ..but I'm getting closer every week and I think I'll get a bit more than 115. But I'm really not fussed about the number.....more about being able to get in and out my car without the door swung right open....and easily turn cycle pedals....these are my targets.

Very glad my OS wasnt hung up on numbers :yes:

While pre-op ROM can be an indicator of potential post-op ROM, it is possible for your post-op ROM to actually increase above that. If you get as far as 115, that's good. If you manage more than that, it's a bonus.

You're right about the numbers, though - function is more important than numbers.

Back to work yesterday and confirmation that this recovery is indeed a rollercoaster!

I drove in , was ok, even stopped for my coffee at my usual cafe where it was nice to be welcomed back to 'normal ' and was in the office from about 7.30-11am...

But a new pain :gaah:

Sharp pain appeared in my knee when sitting at my desk...I tried stretching, walking it off, raising leg...nothing helped. Felt like something was 'caught' in the knee..does that make sense?

Anyway I had it on and off all day and even though I elevated and iced while working at home in the afternoon it was a pretty rough day.

Slept ok...ish...

It's a bit tight this morning (actually that's pretty normal :bored:) but today I'll be working at home all day. Intending to go back in for a few hours tomorrow.

Bit fed up after the high of the good and hugely active weekend , but I would imagine many of you recognise this story...

Gosh does that sound familiar to me, @Pecanpie !!! LOL The recovery rollercoaster in action.

And actually,that very SHARP pain that feels like something was caught in the knee, is familiar too. I think that in my case it was due to accidentally doing something to my knee that it didn't like; I twisted it sharply and bumped that leg (but not the knee) hard at the same time. Anyway yesterday I wondered if I had broken something in there. I felt so guilty! My new knee deserves better treatment than that.

After resting all day that pain seems to have gone away, thank heavens, and maybe your pain will too in a day or two. The exciting adventures of TKR recovery... :heehee: I am thinking your sharp pain might have been just another one of those crummy pains we get from overdoing a little bit. But I am glad you are easing back into work so there won't be too many incidents like that hopefully.

I smiled when I read how nice it was for you to have coffee at your usual cafe and be welcomed back to normal. What a great feeling. :)

Sharp pain appeared in my knee when sitting at my desk...I tried stretching, walking it off, raising leg...nothing helped. Felt like something was 'caught' in the knee..does that make sense?
Were you sitting with your knee bent and your foot down? If so, that pain could be this:
Pain: Movie sign in TKR

Thanks @Celle that could be it....I had driven for 40 minutes and made it to my desk
As it was my first day back I had a procession of wellwishers for about hour and half.... but the pain had gone this morning ..until I got up and walked about getting dressed, where it made me hop!!!

Could just be lots of inflammation from my big day yesterday?

Could just be lots of inflammation from my big day yesterday?
Yes, it could be that,too.
I often warn people to expect an increase in pain and swelling when they first go back to work.

After working from home yesterday...knee rested up , I was back into the office today for around 3.5 hours.
I tried to move every 30 mins....I used 2 of those single use icepacks (they are pretty useless I find....once this box of 20 is gone I wont bother with any more)

Came home, elevated, iced, worked on laptop
Knee is angry again....but not quite as angry as Monday night.

I know the return to work is tough, but there is no doubt I feel pretty miserable tonight.

Physio tomorrow ...... really not looking forward to it...I really dont need more exercises!

Physio tomorrow ...... really not looking forward to it...I really dont need more exercises!
You don’t. Now that you’re back to work you get plenty of real life movement for your knee.

I find once you've picked up the info or exercises that are helpful from your PT you can do them-- or not-- on your own, at your own pace.
Some PTs are helpful if you have gait issues and so on, but the last thing you need is PT on top of a workday. :ice:, elevation and :zzz: are the way to go after work--and for the weekend.
If you still want to use PT, you might just ask for a couple of "check in" visits.

That was my final physio tonight.....
Some good exercises, stepping down with the unoperated leg to help with normal stairs
Stepping up on operated leg
Balancing on operated leg

But also leg extension machine and squats...the things I really don't like!!

My ROM measured at 110/0 which I'm happy with, but.... very disappointed to hear the final 'this is the window of opportunity for improvement ' and I'm unlikely to get much more without pushing

Why is this myth still perpetuated!!!!
Anyway...I will carry on with what I'm doing as I feel great improvement every week.

Now for more ice for my angry knee ......:martini:

I’m glad that was your last physio because these 2 activities are bad for a healing knee, as you can tell because now your knee is angry.

Plus that erroneous talk about that window of opportunity myth.

It is so sad that we are led to believe that PT essential for our recovery when this is the experience many of them offer us. :doh:

I like the name of that...movie sign. I have bus driver sign lol!! Maybe a short gentle walk when you arrive would help? Just to get your blood flowing a bit? I could be totally wrong though.

Was just saying today....everything I did used to be centred on my knee.... do a bit, have a rest, do a bit more...sit down...and this was before my operation!!

Now...I'm just doing stuff...slowly.....and carefully.....but my issue is now tightness and swelling and I KNOW that will eventually disappear!!

Had a brilliant weekend.... done loads...been very active... treating my knee with a nice glass of sancerre....much better than those horrible opiates :martini::heehee:

Will be elevating and icing shortly, but really thankful for the prospect of pain free knee (eventually)
:spin:

Now...I'm just doing stuff...slowly.....and carefully.....but my issue is now tightness and swelling and I KNOW that will eventually disappear!!

Had a brilliant weekend.... done loads...been very active... treating my knee with a nice glass of sancerre....much better than those horrible opiates :martini::heehee:

Tightness and swelling are still bothering me. I can't wait for the day I wake up and they are gone. I like your knee treatment. In fact, I think I will have a glass of Prosecco right now.

Last edited:
Your knee doesn't like them, either, so don't do them. Squats put a lot of stress on a new knee and they're best avoided until very much later in recovery. As for the extension machine - no to that for a long, long time. It's possible to injure your new knee with it, because the slightest deviation from the correct position of your foot could cause a twisting in your knee.

@Celle I totally agree particularly about the leg extension machine. ..I wont be doing them again...ever!!!
What was even worse is that I'm tall... 6'1".... and the physio was about 5'5" .... so she didn't adjust the leg length properly and the thing was rolling up onto my shins...even after asking...I was told that's as far as it goes

Very glad to be finished with physiotherapy

@Celle
What was even worse is that I'm tall... 6'1".... and the physio was about 5'5" .... so she didn't adjust the leg length properly and the thing was rolling up onto my shins...even after asking...I was told that's as far as it goes

Yup!. I'm over 6 feet and the therapy table is not quite long enough. Often my feet bump against a wall or something near the table. Good grief! Do they think every body is a short-cake?

The need for squats is another thing I wonder about. I was told that they wear out the joint faster. Along with twisting the joint and carrying very heavy loads. IOW, don't do it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member