TKR Pecanpie's recovery thread<

Getting a full rotation is exciting! Now just don’t overdo it and bike for too long.

Sleeping on your side this early in recovery is quite a feat, as is a bike rotation! Yay!

I am so envious!! I still can't manage to sleep on my side and I really miss it!

I recently got a voltaren (diclofenac generic ) anti-inflammation gel for my foot injury and am surprised that (if I follow the directions LOL), it helps reduce the swelling. The pamphlet says it is also good for hands and knees, and in the last few days, when we had rain and low pressure, I tried it on my knee and it helped there as well.
My OS usually doesn’t recommend topicals other than for the benefit from the soft massaging of applying it, but he did say he thought this would help—if I used the correct amount and used it 3x day.

I know what you mean about the hesitance in the medical community to prescribe opioids for pain management! My surgeon was fairly generous with his initial prescription coming out of the hospital.

I had to keep calling my surgeon's office every 3-4 days to get a refill of my oxycodone Rx. The lady who handled them finally got a big frustrated and told me that 60 pills a refill should be enough. 60? I was surprised to hear it was for 60 pills! The pharmacy, in cahoots with the Rx insurance company, would only give me 42 pills max - 30% less than the prescription stated. After two more weeks the insurance company decided I could get the higher amount of pills. But, by them I had done my research and found that one 500mg of Acetaminophen and one 200mg of ibuprofen is a very adequate alternative. Now, I only take the remaining oxycodone pills I have if I can't get to sleep at night.

I had done my research and found that one 500mg of Acetaminophen and one 200mg of ibuprofen is a very adequate alternative.

@ApricotPie - I am taking these meds (Tylenol/advil), but not in this combination. Interesting.

So tonight is the second night without any dihydrocodeine and suddenly I'm wide awake and it's not even midnight....

I had cut down from 3 per day to 2 per day to one at bedtime and it was ok last night when I had none.

Is this just 'normal ' knee insomnia? Or is it likely the lack of dihydrocodeine? I'm going to persevere...just wondering if I'm overthinking it!

When I woke this morning my knee felt the most normal ever...not yet mine ..but not sore or stiff or tight

Tightness developed as the day went on, but manageable with paracetamol and diclofenac.

I can see a glimmer of light at the end of this tunnel ...but thinking this could be a long night!!!

I have no idea about the meds but that's great that its feeling more normal-ish. I hope you get some sleep!!
:sleeep:

I don't know if its the meds or just post surgery, but I had similar experiences. I'm not afraid of the drugs, but I certainly didn't want to take them if I felt fine.

I hope you eventually got back to sleep. How about tonight? Better?

Once I did get off to sleep around midnight...I slept for 4 hours straight!! Which is the longest stint in 8 weeks

Maybe my body is just adjusting .... after being off dihydrocodeine for a couple of days I am REALLY looking forward to a glass of red wine tonight.... Friday night :beer:

8 weeks
Well it was bound to happen.. ..feeling great for the last couple of days. So this morning I thought I would try to be 'normal ' ...up and about this morning, outside in the sun, spent the morning with a friend and her 5 year old, small amount of elevation and ice at lunchtime then out for coffee and shopping this afternoon.

Fully paid up membership of the ODIC

Owwwww :elevate:

I'm intending to start back at work on Monday. We've agreed that I'll go in for a couple of hours to catch up and bring some work home....then go back in wed & fri for 2 hours each time.

The main purpose being to get a 'mental ' return! And I'll definitely get more done at home with my laptop!

So as a test...I drove in today to say hi. An hour in heavy traffic, couple of hours catching up and doing stairs was all pretty tough. I had tried driving short distances a couple of times and found my leg tiring really quickly. I took a cushion with me today and put it between my knee and the car door....this meant I could get a bit of soft support for my tired knee and it really helped in the stop start rush hour city traffic!

My icepacks melted super quick this afternoon. .hoping knee spends quiet day in recovery tomorrow before seeing my OS on Friday.

Oh I hope it all goes well for you! Sounds like a trying day physically but good mentally. (Well besides traffic lol) I bet it felt great to see everyone!
Just try to take it easy as much as you can when you're home.
:ice:

The traffic sounds like the killer. Can you adjust the timing of your 2 hours in the office so that you're driving during lower traffic times?

I got some chemical cold packs when I was prepping for surgery to have for outings. Maybe you can supplement your real ice with something like that when you have to be out?

Hi @luvcats
I intend to be in much earlier on Monday ..makes a big difference if I leave the house by 7am, the journey is more like 35-40 mins instead of an hour, the downside being having to speed up my morning prep.... funny thing being away for 9 weeks...you forget your normal morning routine that you have down to perfect timing! :giggle:

I got some of those icepacks to take with me. Hopefully they help a bit.

I am happy and also a bit apprehensive about next week, but play it by ear :)

Oh my gosh the routine adjustment..its so weird!! I'm out of sorts at work, checking out my bus seems a little foreign right now. Stuff I've been doing for years without thinking almost & now I'm like, wait...what's next??
Yeesh!

I like your going in early plan...getting up earlier sucks but less time in traffic will more than make up for it!
:driver:

9 weeks post op

I had my follow up with OS yesterday and it seems we're both delighted with progress
He was happy with my bend (didn't measure it, could just see how I was sitting and moving about) and said I'll have a similar great progress over the next 8 weeks.
He got me to raise my leg straight from the chair (cant believe how easy that is now after not being able to get it off the ground on day 1!!)

Was great to review the xrays...both the before and after! All in all I came away skipping :dancy:
(Ok not skipping, but certainly walking with more purpose)

Then I drove the 40 miles to see my mum and had a great evening (with ice....)

I'm discharged from him now, dont need to see him again. He said next 8 weeks will be biggest difference but my knee may swell on occasion for 12-18 months...and that my ROM will continue to improve (sound familiar anyone!!!!)

Nice to get a good report (and a decent nights sleep) I've encountered many doctors over the years and the best ones truly leave you feeling better!!! Its not just about the surgery, the human need for encouragement also plays a big part in your recovery I think.

My knee doesn't yet feel 'mine'.... but its definitely crossed over from 'acquaintance ' :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom