TKR Pecanpie's recovery thread<

I know the legs healing, I know elevation and ice really helps the swelling and I know that gravity hurts!!
But nothing like first hand experience to reinforce this.
Isn't that the truth! We come here because we value the expertise and companionship, and then we have to go and push all the limits just to see what happens. Free advice, don't go to the grocery store yet, even in a convenience cart. lol. That had me up all night rethinking my life choices. lol.

It's great that the bruising is starting to clear and you're getting more mobility.

Thanks @luvcats re the free advice :wave:
No intention of going shopping yet, thankfully hubby (this is new territory for him...solo food shopping) is managing fine
It's tough to let people help...
You want to be doing something!!! But baby knee retaliates if you have any crazy ideas

Have a gentle day x:flwrysmile:

Baby knee surely does have a mind of her own!
I think for knee #2 I'm going to set up a hand work project like embroidery. Then I'd have something to do now that my brains are back that would feel productive, but still encourage sitting quietly.

But baby knee retaliates if you have any crazy ideas
That's why I named mine The Brat. It sure acted like one if it didn't get it's resting and icing way!

Hi there, I'm 11 days ahead of you in healing...quite the journey isn't it? I'm getting around pretty good, using my cane when I'm out & in the evening.

I've managed to get to the store a couple times but only very short trips. My hubby handles most of it & I agree its very frustrating to depend on someone else! He's doing a great job but there are days...

Blessings to you!

Entering into week 4....
Thought I was doing great on Friday, was up and about a fair bit, pushed the Hoover around in a fairly minimal manner. Had a visit from one of my oldest friends and laughed a lot :beer: while drinking coffee and eating a chocolate eclair.

Then Saturday .... knee was miserable yesterday... very very tight, feels like its wrapped in elastic bands whilst being made of concrete
Surprisingly it's still bending, and whilst swollen...not hugely swollen, so I'm guessing this is the next phase of healing pain?

Slept a bit better last night (still awake and up every 2 hours, but strung together about 7 hours like this) but still uncomfortable this morning.... I suppose the feeling is like a small cut healing and the tight feeling from that, but magnified 100 times over my knee, shin, thigh and the final bit of spectacular bruising above my ankle.

I'm reading everyone's journeys and hoping that the end of this week will bring the next stage.

When I look back I can see huge differences over the past 3 weeks, but new stiffness and pain is a bit depressing.... I keep telling myself this is the end of week 3, patience patience.

I have my physio first checkup on Thursday evening, interested to see how that goes.
Hope everyone has a good day :flwrysmile:

I'm sorry you had a bad day yesterday. The tightness sounds like what happened to me both times I overdid. Possibly the Hoover, with the extra weight an that slight rocking motion, pushed you over the edge. For me, the line between doing and overdoing is about 1 micron thick. No stamina at all.

Good luck with the physio!

This recovery is definitely not a straight line, there are ups and downs when you least expect it. You may just have not elevated as much as you had previously which could cause the tightness. Improvement comes at different times for everyone, so don’t be discouraged.

I think it’s too early to be hoovering. It was months before my husband would let me do that.

Reread the article about the Activity Progression that is in the Recovery Guidelines.

Don’t look at resting as doing nothing. Look at it as giving your knee the best circumstance in which to heal.

Jockette is right, especially if your house is bigger than a postage stamp. I didn’t do a smidge of cooking until the 4 week mark when I threw chicken in a crock pot. Rest your knee today with elevation and ice.

Well said ladies!
on Friday, was up and about a fair bit, pushed the Hoover around in a fairly minimal manner. Then Saturday .... knee was miserable yesterday... very very tight, feels like its wrapped in elastic bands whilst being made of concrete
I trust you saw the connection in these two comments! Do remember that what you do today you pay for tomorrow or the next day!

Feels like a slightly odd breakthrough last night... I slept my usual 2 hours at a time, (although as my husband wasnt feeling great it was an early night for both of us. I think my waking up is taking its toll on him :alarm:)

However!! I find myself repositioning without totally waking and without getting up! Also found when I did get up I was getting back into bed without even thinking about using my leg lifter to assist the bad leg.

These are small improvements, but do give some sort of glimpse of a bit of normality.

Have a good day folks
:egypdance:

Vacuuming is amazingly tough on a recovering knee. Isn't it exciting when you get to ditch the leg lifter?:friends:

Aside from my infection, not sleeping was the absolute worst part of recovery for me. Just seeing the day come to an end and night come on made me sad because I knew I would just be laying in bed awake. There was nothing to watch on TV and I couldn’t concentrate to read. Good news is you’re nearly a month into recovery and soon you’ll be able to sleep comfortably. I eventually figured out a way to position my left leg over my RTKR so I could sleep a few hours on my right side.

Thats awesome about repositioning & moving your leg easier!
Sleeping has been rough on me too. I long to curl up on my side without thinking about it! I try every night but so far it only works in the morning for short periods. Very frustrating! But I know it will change over time. Just have to keep moving forward.

First physio follow up tonight.
Seems to all be going pretty well... not quite at 4 weeks yet and my flex is measured at 100, extension 0. I'm pretty chuffed with that, and feels like a great result of taking lots of care of my baby knee and working on getting the swelling down and letting it heal first.

Physio didn't push anything, really just wanted continuation of stretching and bending exercises, but all very gentle.

One massively frustrating outcome though....the practice nurse at my GP surgery has left a staple in....its right in the middle of the knee in a spot where I cant really see looking down...but taking a photo and looking straight on its extremely obvious. I have to get it removed (hopefully tomorrow) and I just know this is going to nip!!!!

Next follow up in 2 weeks time, but pleased with today..... knee is now gently throbbing after its excitement tonight , also made the journey in front passenger seat, getting in and out like a normal person! Bad leg first!!
It is really encouraging when you start to see glimpses of normality

Now it's time for ice....:ice:

Oh dear, but it does happen on occasion. I've always said that the number of staples should be recorded so this doesn't happen.

Good report! :friends:Sorry you have to go back to get that last staple out.

Bummer about the staple but the rest is great!
:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom