TKR ITCHING ON BACK OF CALF 1 YR AFTER TKR

pdlinda

Country
United States United States
Returned from hospital yesterday.
Surgery uneventful. Whole process seemed to flow smoothly from start to finish . Pain Level never more than Level 1 from start. Have some nausea from Viocin, take ondansitron if needed every 6 hrs (under tongue. ( I just took one)

Practiced getting up 21 stairs to apt with hospital PT. Had no problem.

OS visited me each day. Showed me incision. It's covered with strip of transparent tape and is about 3" long

They fed me organic diet in hospital.

So far very pleased with early stage of recovery!! Thanks for all your support!!$

That is a great start!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Returned from hospital yesterday.
Surgery uneventful. Whole process seemed to flow smoothly from start to finish . Pain Level never more than Level 1 from start. Have some nausea from Viocin, take ondansitron if needed every 6 hrs (under tongue. ( I just took one)

Practiced getting up 21 stairs to apt with hospital PT. Had no problem.

OS visited me each day. Showed me incision. It's covered with strip of transparent tape and is about 3" long

They fed me organic diet in hospital.

So far very pleased with early stage of recovery!! Thanks for all your support!!$

Keep up the good work.
Glad for you.

4 days post op.

Have been nauseous all afternoon. Took zofran 5 hrs ago. Caregiver on her way. Have no appetite.

Nausea can be miserable! I hope you can get it under control soon. It helped me to have a cracker or something to eat when I took my meds. I wish you calming energy for relief!

Had a MISERABLE night! Diarrhera and constant trips to bathroom. NAUSEA. Exhausted. Will call OS surgeon office.

My incision and the surgery in great shape. No real pain.

Stomach issues with my IBS (irritable bowel) are creating these problems.

I second @LindaO in the recommendation for simple crackers (saltines, oyster crackers, etc.) when taking meds. They really helped me calm my storm-tossed stomach.

Just saw your recent post. I am so sorry that you are going through this. Glad you are calling your doc. I hope that you can keep hydrated with some electrolytes until you get all of this under control.

I'm so very sorry that your gut is making you miserable on top of your baby knee. How awful. I hope it subsides quickly.

It's covered with strip of transparent tape and is about 3" long
Is your incision only 3" long? Great that the nausea gone. If you find the 3,000mg of Tylenol isn't enough, you can take 4,000. But, you have to make sure that anything you are taking doesn't have added Tylenol. Also, Tramadol is a good pain reducer. For me, icing was about the best I could find for my pain reduction. I iced the whole time I was sitting down or in bed. It was a great help.

@sistersinhim
I never actually measures my knee imcision but comparing it to the 2 hip incisions I have that would be my guess.

I have taken 500 mg of Tylenol so far today and am in no pain. I'll definitely take another 1000 mg during the night.

Until the Vicodin and zofran drain out of my system I'll likely have digestive issues. I still am struggling with diarrhea. In other words, I still don't feel well but believe I'm improving!!

I'm glad things are improving. The last thing you need is bathroom urgency on a dodgy leg!

I find it fascinating how differently we all react to pain and then the pain meds. Some do fantastic with just Tylenol, some of us barely manage with maximum oxycodone. Humans are so interesting.

So glad you have your pain under control even off of the heavy stuff! Hang in there and hope things settle down soon!

Awoke to awful pain in middle of night. Took Tylenol but understand

I'm going to need something stronger.

Called OS and PA phoned in prescription for Tramadol. She said I could use in conjunction with Tylenol, especially at night.

Hoping this helps as I'm in a bad way at the moment. Resting with ice pack. Getting up every hour to walk.

I hope the Tramadol and Tylenol work well for you. Sleep is difficult enough without waking up in pain.

I'm sorry you had a bad night. I hope you get the meds you need.

I hope you have been able to get your meds on board and you are feeling better.

I take Tramadol and ibuprofen which helps my pain a lot. I also continue to ice and elevate.

Hang in there and let us know how you are progressing!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom