Paying the price

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacques1

I needed to go to the hospital to be with a relative who is very ill. It is a week today that I had my surgery and I am not even sure if I should have risked it. My daughter dropped me off in the front of the hospital and my dear mother, 81,grabbed a wheel chair for me as it was a long hike to our destination. On the way in she bumped the chair and I into the door. Leg got a little shaking.
Going on to the elevator I got side swiped. My mother couldn't get me off
the elevator so a kind gentleman grabbed my leg (no idea why) and I screamed. Another little shaking. By this point I was exhausted and my poor mother was soo stressed. I did arrive in one piece at our destination. I couldn't stay too long as I was in pain. My daughter wheeled me back.
Getting out of the van was another struggle. I iced my leg right away.
I hope I didn't do any damage to my leg. It is very sore. Every muscle hurts.

While I am at it, I am wondering if I will still have trouble after swelling is down to bend my leg. Of course the leg has been stiff since surgery, but today it appears more so. I am worried about this manipulation I hear about.
Do most people have this done?

Debbt

I would say that you may have overdone things at your very tender stage. You need to rest, elevate and ice....and take your pain meds regularly!! Even with swelling, you should be moving your leg --- are you??? You didn't mention physical therapy....are you getting any of that either at home or at a PT facility? It is VERY important!!! If you have any concerns, contact your surgeon and ask questions. They won't mind and sometimes it helps to just ease your mind.

Most people do not need manipulation after the surgery.....just concentrate right now on regaining your muscle strength and range of motion (ROM). Your main job for the next few months is just to HEAL!!! It takes a LOT of strength for your body to do that, so take care and put yourself first.

I am no expert but at one week I was still very firmly in hospital! Just getting to the shower was a major excercise!

I know sometimes things are beyond your control but you should take it easy!!

Thank you for your input. I am not a very good patient.
As I said, my surgery was on the 7th of Jan. I get my staples our on
Monday, 19th and I start physio on the 20th. My Dr didn't want me to do too many excercises until I had the staples out. He didn't want my ROM past 90 until the staples were removed. Yes, I can move my leg. It doesn't bend very well or very far I should say. I feel sooo much better when I take of these stockings at bedtime. My skin hurts to touch on the upper part of my leg. I feel like a real whinner. I guess the length of time you keep these stockings on depends on each Doctor. I have heard that someone used to take her stalking off after dinner when she was sitting watching tv. Is this recommended. That is the first thing I do in the morning and the last thing I do before getting into bed.

Deb

It is my understanding that the stockings are to prevent clots in your legs. They are most beneficial when you are not active. In my case, the doc told me not to worry with them after the first week at home IF I was up and moving around a good portion of the day. That ususally wasn't a problem because I needed to move around to feel better and I had trouble sleeping, so getting up and walking with the walker at all hours was a daily event. But I would say the stockings would be more useful during those times when you are at rest if your doctor still wants you to wear them. You probably will find your skin sensitive for quite some time. Many have. I kept my wound covered with a big bandage for several weeks for that reason. I wore sweats and shorts for months because of the tenderness. I think everything you are experiencing is very normal. But....do allow yourself and your body the right to time to heal. It is hard work and you need to make it your first priority. Sometimes that's really tough for us women who are used to "doing" for everyone else and not ourselves.

First of all, you won't have done anything to your new knee by your 'adventure' but sounds like you were quite a hero to even attempt it! My hat's off to you, sir!

As for the aftermath, nothing you have described is out of the way either. Just general soreness and swelling you'd expect after such a trip. Don't fret. Just do as the others say, rest, ice, take your pain meds, do your PT and be patient!

Last of all, do NOT fret about the manipulation - you're at far too early a stage to be worry about something that will probably never happen!

Deb, to start with you are not a whiner, believe me. You overdid it and should have stayed home but you didn't. You did what you thought was right. Now stay home, you can say that you tried and it was too much for you. As for manipulation, you are way ahead of yourself there. Not very many of us have to have that done so don't worry about it. Ice, elevate and rest. You need to stay home and take care of yourself. Oh, an by the way, glad you found the forum, welcome aboard. Good luck. Rowdy

Thanks to everyone. There is so many compassionate people here.
I was using my cane yesterday and today but I am going to take a step back and use the walker for a few more days. I shouldn't even say "a step back" but rather a wise decision.

Debby

Deb!
Yep - Sounds like you got a bit carried away! This too shall pass. The only thing I did for the first 2 weeks was rest, ice, elevate and go to PT. The small trip to PT was enough and made me quite tired! I think I slept alot - cant really remember. As far as a manipulation - if it would come to that it really isnt bad - it was actually much easier than I ever expected and the results were well worth the very small bit of irritation that came with it. Had I known how easy it would be and how great the results I would have had it done a month sooner than I did. But dont even worry about that yet - Rest and get to PT!

Best of luck -
Marianne

I agree it was probably a bit adventurous for such an early stage Deb, but we live and learn. At that stage I felt like I had run a marathon just having a shower:) (not that I've ever run a marathon).

Also if you can tolerate the stockings, I think they are a beneficial. I have terrible trouble with them rolling down making a tornequet (spelling???) around my leg so the Dr usually takes them off me the 2nd day, but I have to be very diligent to keep my legs moving and be up and about to prevent clots.

Good luck in your recovery, it does get better.

Chris

Thanks to everyone. There is so many compassionate people here.
I was using my cane yesterday and today but I am going to take a step back and use the walker for a few more days. I shouldn't even say "a step back" but rather a wise decision.

Debby

Exactly. After my first TKR I had moved to the cane when I had a bad episode with the knee that had not yet been replaced. Lots of pain! I had to go back to the walker a few days mainly because of my non-surgical leg. It was depressing to feel like I was going backward, but it was necessary. You are doing the right thing going back to the walker :) After a few days, all was well.

Most people do not need manipulation. If you are not getting good flexion it is done to break up scar tissue. I would do it if recommended rather than live with poor flexion.

I think a walker is excellent because it allows a normal gate. 4 wheels is good on a sidewalk. Inside put cut tennis balls over the rubbver tips so it slides. You need to use a hack saw to saw thru the tennis ball. I was amazed how difficult it was to cut them. As you get more confident just keep your finger tips on the walker.

Getting knee straight is critical, as is bending. I had an excellent PT and am at 0 degree straight and 130 degree bendinging at 3 1/2 months. I am out of PT, but using electric stim to strengthen quads which are now at 6 degrees off of straight when isolated.

I have a tingling in the bottom of my heal and tenderness on lower inside of ankle. Anyone else have this?

Debby, don't even think about MUA yet, much too soon. Most people don't need it (I did and it was OK). I used my walker for weeks. It was handy for carrying things around indoors. I also used it the first time I went out for a walk up the street because of the snow and ice, it gave me more stability and confidence.

Don't try to run before you can walk. Take the painkillers and rest as much as you need to. Taking a shower was also exhausting for me for weeks. Make sure you do your exercises though, then ice and elevate. Good luck, and whine as much as you need to, we all did. Sue

Oh Deb, what a bad day you had! I too had a miserable one but I think you get the prize. I'm sure your visit to your relative was much appreciated though.

Let's hope tomorrow is better,
Mag

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009