TKR Patient Specific Implants

Tkdbob

Country
United States United States
Does anyone have knowledge of the real benefit if any from having Patient Specific Knee Implants (PSI) as compared to conventional knee implants. The stuff I was able to find using Google says there is little data that proves better outcomes with a PSI.

I think that's about right. It's the skill of the surgeon that counts above all.

Yes when I had my first knee replacement in 2015, I did a lot of research beforehand as I was not keen on the idea of surgery.I read about different types of knee replacements which were made specifically for patients or the use of robots in knee surgery. When I asked my consultant,
he gave me exactly the same answer, that there is no data that shows the new techniques do not necessarily lead to better outcomes. So at the end of the day, I went ahead with a surgeon who had an extremely good reputation and did a large number of knee replacements annually. I was very pleased with the outcome I had from the first surgery and hopefully the second one will be OK (I am 17 days post op at the moment)

Yep, the skill and experience of the surgeon seems most important.
I only asked my surgeon which implant he used out of curiosity.
With my first knee he had used a computer guide for alignment but wasn't using that anymore by the time he did my second knee because he said it didn't help him do the job any better. My 2nd knee turned out great. I don't even think about it being "artificial."

That's interesting. My surgeon said more or less the same thing, but when I read about computer assisted knee replacements they sound as if they would be far better. I have a nickel allergy so the implant I had was coated with niobium. I have been really pleased with the first replacement. Obviously, it is early days with the second, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

My surgeon said more or less the same thing, but when I read about computer assisted knee replacements they sound as if they would be far better
I think there's a certain element of advertising that makes them sound better.
No matter how fancy the replacement or the computer assist, you won't get a good result unless you have a skilled surgeon.

I agree with all these comments. I think there was computer assistance for my op, which was to help ‘align’ the knee and get it straight, but above all he’s an experienced surgeon with a good reputation.

Thanks everyone, you added some needed assurance.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts