TKR Patience really is a virtue….

Well today my right knee is okay but my operated knee feels really sore along the incision line….
I’ve been doing house chores today and standing a lot so I’ve had to elevate for an hour as my ankle has swollen, which hasn’t happened in a while… every day has a new challenge.. lol :loll:

6.5 weeks post op….. still not confident to drive and going a bit stir crazy home alone all day so as the sun is shining I decided to attempt a walk to the local post office…. Possibly not the brightest idea as although the sun is shining there were some icy spots along the route… but I took one crutch and I walked there and back…. 1.5 miles in total….
My sleep has been rubbish this week so I’m hoping that a bit of fresh air might help me sleep…. I’m now icing and elevating and feeling a little bit proud of myself today …. These little milestones make you feel a whole lot better during this long recovery process :walking:

It will be interesting to hear an update to how you are feeling tomorrow, I imagine a bit of tenderness is to expected but that walk had to be so lovely for you and am glad you brought your crutch with you, good thinking!
You should be proud of yourself :yes!:

6.5 weeks post op
Hi Loulou!
Wondering if you'd like your thread title changed at this point, to a title not associated with how far post op you are? You are welcome to keep your current title if that's your desire, but we can also easily change it for you.
Let us know if you're interested.

Great news on your walk out in the fresh air and sunshine today! I hope you sleep well tonight. :)

So I waited till my OH was home from work, I ran the bath, with plenty of bubbles and in I got….. heaven… to lie back in the bath fully submerged was bliss. I was also able to gently bend my knee in the water, pretty much pain free.
Then came the time to get out…… now….. my bath is quite deep, which is normally something that I like, however, when you have a knee that won’t bend that well , it’s not easy to get yourself from sitting flat, to standing up, especially with no grab rails round the bath to hold onto. I foolishly pulled the plug and let the water drain from the bath while I towel dried my hair, then I attempted to get out….. no chance….. I had to call my OH to come and help me….. now had I left the water in the bath I could have gently rolled onto my good side, got onto my unoperated knee and hoisted myself up…. But no…. I was in an empty, slippery bath with a leg that wouldn’t bend…I’m sure you’ve got the picture by now…. It took about 20 mins to get me out of the bath….. the more my OH tried to help me out , the heavier my body seemed to become, I couldn’t lift myself up as I inexplicably seemed to lose all my strength in my arms….i couldn’t push myself up with my unoperated leg as my operated leg had now become a lead weight… I couldn’t roll onto my knee, the bath had seemed to get narrower, and the more I tried and failed, to get up, the more I alternated between panic and hysterical laughter!!!! Finally I managed to roll onto my good knee and with the help of my OH and a towel shoved against my leg to stop me slipping I managed to stand and then get out…………
This is EXACTLY what happened to me when I took a bath a few months post-op. EXACTLY!!! I put too many bubbles in so the water was extra slippery, I let the water out and then couldn't use the buoyancy for extra help. Hubby had to come and rescue me and we had to put a towel down so there was some kind of grip for me to get up. (you and I are exactly the same age too :wink:) I didn't take another bath for a LONG time and waited until my bend was much further. Even today, my hubby wants to make sure he's home "just in case". I just took a bath last weekend after not doing one for quite a few months and was able to get in and out fine by myself.
The moral of this tale is that if you plan on having a bath, make sure you have a good plan on how to get out, and don’t have one if you’re alone in the house, just in case you can’t get out, lol!!! I will be sticking to my showers for a little while longer I think…..
Yes, indeed!!!

So it’s 3am in the morning and surprise surprise I’m wide awake!!!
Today is 7 weeks post op.
I’m finding that the back of my knee is very sore when I wake up, so I’m currently icing the knee at the back to get some comfort and hopefully fall back to sleep for a couple of hours.
Yesterday was a good day. After my walk on Weds my knee felt okay, once I got over the morning stiffness.
I wanted to try and push the bend a little more yesterday so I decided to wear a knee brace, over my pj bottoms, to give the knee a little more support while bending, and it really helped!! I’ll be using the knee brace every other day for the next 5 days to see if I can finally get to the elusive 90 degree bend by my physio next Thursday.
Today my OH is off work so we are visiting his Father and going out for.lunch later, which will be a lovely treat after being cooped up at home . I’m going to try walking with a cane rather than my crutch to see how I go on.
Just ADL today for me then back to the exercises tomorrow….. now let’s see what week 7 brings in this slow, but steady recovery… Happy healing Friday to you all :flwrysmile: ( I can’t believe it took me this long to figure out how to add the emojis ) :tiredwheel:

( I can’t believe it took me this long to figure out how to add the emojis ) :tiredwheel:
Aren't they fun? One of our favorites is the snowball fight one. :xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:

I'm so glad you felt good the day following your walk to the Post Office.. you are doing very well and can sense your happiness with your progress.
The knee brace you are using, is it an elastic support sleeve or something more substantial?
Glad it is helping you, I'm guessing if it's a sleeve that it's warming up your soft tissues, which is always a good thing.
I hope you enjoy your jaunt today with your husband.

Oh I hope you enjoy your outing and feel confident with the cane!

So at 7 weeks out the last couple of days I’ve found that my knee is bending much easier.
I’m sleeping a little better at night, although it’s very broken sleep and sometimes I can be awake from 2am to 4 am but then I usually manage to nod off again for a couple of hours.
I’m also managing to go up stairs bending both knees, although I am kicking my left one out slightly and not confident to try it downstairs yet, but I think this is definite progress…..
The issue I seem to be unable to overcome is the ability to walk “properly “.
As the weather permits I’m taking short walks outside, today I walked 1.5 miles, using one crutch, which I carried at intervals throughout my walk. The problem I have is bending my left knee when I walk…. My leg goes stiff my thigh goes hard and I limp….. I’m walking heel toes and I’m watching my shadow as I walk so I don’t kick my leg out….. do you think this is psychological or is it normal at this stage??? Any experience shares welcome… :walking:

Heel to toe walking is good, and as you heal your leg will relax and you’ll walk better. I didn’t always walk perfectly in the early months but I didn’t worry about it, and it all came out ok. Time is a great healer!

So at 7 weeks out the last couple of days I’ve found that my knee is bending much easier.
I’m sleeping a little better at night, although it’s very broken sleep and sometimes I can be awake from 2am to 4 am but then I usually manage to nod off again for a couple of hours.
I’m also managing to go up stairs bending both knees, although I am kicking my left one out slightly and not confident to try it downstairs yet, but I think this is definite progress…..
As the weather permits I’m taking short walks outside, today I walked 1.5 miles, using one crutch, which I carried at intervals throughout my walk. The problem I have is bending my left knee when I walk…. My leg goes stiff my thigh goes hard and I limp….. I’m walking heel toes and I’m watching my shadow as I walk so I don’t kick my leg out….. do you think this is psychological or is it normal at this stage??? Any experience shares welcome… :walking:
Hi LouLou! I had my TKR October 4th. Walking a 1.5 miles is really good! I re-read bone smart guidelines when I can if I’m not sure about something and of course ask the forum people. They are great!! It sounds normal to me. What does your PT say?

I am still experiencing this at 10 weeks. I do my best to walk heal toe and when my leg gets stiff, it's a little less. I think changing our ingrained habit as well as the muscles adjusting is going to take time. It's great you can walk that far. And glad you have the weather for it!

Hi LouLou! I had my TKR October 4th. Walking a 1.5 miles is really good! I re-read bone smart guidelines when I can if I’m not sure about something and of course ask the forum people. They are great!! It sounds normal to me. What does your PT say?
I’ve not seen my PT this week. My next appt is next Thursday so I’ll mention it then…. Thanks for replying :)

I actually think that you are making good progress, especially ascending the stairs. Good for you!
As for walking properly, you have a lot of muscles that were used to limping along, they take time to figure out their new way.
Do you think that maybe a cane would be more helpful than your crutch? I ask this because I am trying to picture walking with a crutch plus doing the " heel toe" method and it seems like that would be part of the issue?
I may be worng but it's a thought and maybe worth a try.
As the weather permits I’m taking short walks outside, today I walked 1.5 miles, using one crutch, which I carried at intervals throughout my walk. The problem I have is bending my left knee when I walk…. My leg goes stiff my thigh goes hard and I limp….. I’m walking heel toes and I’m watching my shadow as I walk so I don’t kick my leg out…..
When does the thigh go hard? At what distance into your walk does this start happening?
You just had surgery on October 20, maybe the 1.5 walk is too much too soon?
I know it's frustrating, but you can't hurry up the healing. It takes time.
I'm sorry if you mentioned this and I missed it, but are you still doing an icing regimen, especially after your walks?
Ice is the best way to directly deal with the inflammation in and around your knee.
You could probably benefit from a massage at this stage, too. But I've heard they are very expensive in the U.K.?

Something that you can do yourself. which worked great for my sister who's had both knees replaced, is to place your hands over the sides of your knee- left hand on left side and right hand on right side (of your surgical knee.)

Then do gentle reverse circles with the circle direction moving upwards and towards your upper body/hips. It will be the palm side of of your hands/fingers doing the massaging but you shouldn't be pushing in with your fingertips.

It should be easy enough to do and will feel so good to the soft tissues that are inflamed and sore. You can vary your pressure to what feels best for you but it should never feel painful.

There are many muscle attachments on the sides of your knee that you will be soothing by doing this.

Using a nice lubricant like Bio Oil or even any lotion that you have in your home will work and use sparingly.

Your hands shouldn't be over your incision when doing this either, so it's just the soft tissues on the inside and outside of your knee getting the massage. Your thigh muscles could benefit from some massaging, too.

I hope this makes good sense and is helpful.

@CricketHip thank you for your reply, I’ll certainly try the massage technique!!!
I am still icing 2 or 3 times a day and always straight after a walk….. I probably need to elevate a bit more though.

You've gotten great advice already. My two cents...

In my experience, when I progressed my walking distance too far, my knee let me know immediately. So I think your body is telling you to walk less far. Can you drop it to a mile for several days, then if doing well, increase by a quarter mile only for a few days and see how that goes?

Before I got to @CricketHip 's excellent suggestions I was also thinking warmth and massage of the thigh (especially before walking). And she is right about overall body structure being much better with a cane than with a crutch.

Another day…… another challenge……
I’ve had really good extension from week 1 , suddenly today I’m struggling to fully straighten my leg????
Patience really is needed in this process!!! :sad:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
sophiawilson
Recent bookmarks