PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

Unfortunately, patello-femoral replacements don't seem to have a very good track record
Celle, I’m just wondering, do you think lateral and medial partials generally do better than Patellofemorals? It seems our members who have those are happier with them. And, are those “easier” (for lack of a better term) to recover from than a Patellofemoral? But then maybe with those there is less to “go wrong.”

@Jockette, great question for your OS! Go get that second, third, fourth opinion and get your questions answered! You’ve heard my take on your situation before so I won’t repeat it. If not happy, do what you need to get satisfaction.

I read all the different things surgeons and therapists tell our members, and all I can think is, keep me away from them!

Even though I’m not where I’d like to be, I’m better now in recovery than ever. However, with that said, I have more discomfort and limitations than I ever had before surgery, even with the pain of the arthritis that I had. The trade has not been worth it.

My surgeon should have turned me away. They told me I was not bone on bone. Pain did not wake me up at night.

I should have gotten at least another opinion but I was not smart enough to even think if it. I trusted the first doctor I saw. I was led to believe a partial was a much less surgery than a total.

I’m not willing to go back to square one right now. I’m afraid that another surgery will not fix all my problems. We have members who have had revisions, some more than one, and still had the same problem.

Aw jockette I feel your misery and sense of injustice. I think we are conditioned to trust the surgeons and rarely ask enough questions and accept the answers we are given.
If our expectations were managed better and we were given honest outcomes we would make more informed choices.
But in saying that I think I would still have gone ahead as I would have been naive enough to think I would have a good outcome and achieve satisfactory recovery within the 6 weeks which I was told.
I have swopped intermediate pain when walking for constant discomfort.
I do feel for you. It is soooo disheartening. :sad:

But in saying that I think I would still have gone ahead as I would have been naive enough to think I would have a good outcome and achieve satisfactory recovery within the 6 weeks which I was told.
I agree! They hardly mention anything negative and paint this awesome picture and make it sound so easy. Why would I even consider it not going that way.

I like your word injustice, I don’t think that word cane to my mind but it’s true.

@Jockette don't beat yourself up about not getting a second opinion before your surgery. I got 3 opinions and chose the doctor that had the best reputation, success rate and one that I felt comfortable with. Who knew that your surgery could be a success, the prosthesis strong and yet you still have issues. The body is complicated and muscles, nerves, tendons and soft tissue are affected by this surgery. If you are lucky, everything will heal properly. If you fall into the 20%, you are not so lucky and have issues.

I have read all your postings and find you to be a very strong, supportive individual. There are times that I have been really down and your posts on your thread and other threads have lifted my spirits. Don't give up. Your answer is out there.

Celle, I’m just wondering, do you think lateral and medial partials generally do better than Patellofemorals? It seems our members who have those are happier with them. And, are those “easier” (for lack of a better term) to recover from than a Patellofemoral? But then maybe with those there is less to “go wrong.”
No, not really. I think that all partials require a certain skill set, to do them properly. Some surgeons have it and some don't.

Josephine has kept a list of people who have to have a PKR replaced withing a short time, even in less than a year.

I was fortunate. My surgeon was meticulous and my PKR lasted for 11 good years. I seem to be one of the few who have had a good run our of their PKRs.

In spite of that, I chose to go straight to a TKR for my second knee, even though it was only the medial compartment that was affected.

I can't see any point in having a partial, only to need more surgery a few years down the track. I don't believe that a partial gives sufficient increase in mobility over a total, to make it worth while for a younger person to have a partial first.
"Do it once, do it right," is my philosophy.

"Do it once, do it right," is my philosophy.
I really like your philosophy!
I think that all partials require s certain skill set, to do them properly. Some surgeons have it and some don't.
I tried to find out how many Patellofemorals my surgeon has done and they wouldn’t give me a straight answer, which tells me they don’t want me to know. I really want to know, but maybe it would just upset me.

My daughter’s landlord is an orthopedic surgeon. When she told him I was getting a partial he told her he only does about 5 a year.

@Gel-girl
It’s very painful for me to do stairs normally, also. I tried the other day, there were 4 steps at my chiropractor’s building. My first step up on my operated leg was difficult, but I managed it, then the other foot on the next step, then the operated leg on the next step, and I couldn’t do it, my leg would not support my weight. I had to switch legs to go that step.

If I’d had my cane with me I probably could have done it, but to me that just proves that my weight would have been on the cane and not on my leg. Obviously I was holding on to the handrail.

My knee felt ok for about a half hour, then felt all out of joint the rest of the day.

About a month ago we were at my son’s, and he lives up a flight of stairs. With my cane in my right hand, and left hand on the railing, I went up foot over foot without hardly any difficulty. No repercussions. I thought that was improvement. Maybe not.

Please pray that I will have the emotional strength to do what I will eventually have to do.

Hi, @Hood1980

Does your surgeon know you’re not doing formal PT? If so, what did he say?

How’s your trip going?

I’m home. It was a great trip but exhausting. I have not seen my surgeon. He was on vacation and it was his Nurse Practitioner, who is awesome. She didn’t have a problem with it or if she did, she didn’t express it. I think it was because I was already at 0-90+ ROM. I haven’t progressed much since then, but am trying not to stress about it. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No need to stress about it, you’re doing great and you have lots of time to gently improve!

Thanks for the inclusion on steps and stairs.

Hope your strength is improving. I must admit my knee is strong enough to take my weight.

I think you are wise using your stick you don’t want to be losing your balance or footing.

Thinking of you.

ALL knee replacements touch both those bones.

You only see the femoral part in your knee because the tibial component is plastic which is radio translucent! (not seen in the xray)
Interesting, I did not know that.

I just googled side views of Patellofemorals and finally saw one of a leg almost straight. (all my side X-rays are with my leg bent.) I’ve often wondered what that looked like when my leg is straight.

https://www.drlikover.com/services/types-knee-replacement/patellofemoral-joint-replacement/

I wish I could see that plastic piece inside my leg. Could that be misplaced, causing the “out of joint” feeling I get when leaning forward, like when I’m making the bed, etc.?

Last edited:
upload_2018-10-18_10-30-31.jpeg

Thank you, so much, @Josephine!

How does that work @Jockette? Do you have a bottom piece that goes into the tibia? It's a mighty strange looking thing! I'll have to go to YouTube and watch one of those surgeries so I can understand it better.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom