PKR Patella femoral replacement

swissviv

Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I had a Patella Femoral replacement on 4th May, in the hospital where i was in Switzerland they keep you in for 5-6 days so physio starts straight away (2 times per day) along with the passive movement machine (3 x per day) and i had a 90 degree bend by the time i got home, so far I am so happy with the outcome :) ,I now have a 120 degree bend and i am basically pain free, just some stiffness when standing from sitting and it still feels "tender" to touch over the lower part of the femur but this improves day by day, occaisional aches after physio and gym sessions but progressing, still not allowed to walk steps "Properly" so still 1 by 1 for a bit longer yet, I realise i have a long road ahead to build up the muscle strength again and correct my bad walking/posture from months of pain (I had been succesfully treated with Synovin injectionsfor 3 years until December last year when i simply got no relief and so we MRI'd and saw the grade 4 arthrosis- it was much worse than my last MRI 3 years before)
The only downside, is since going through this surgery my left knee now seems to be going the same way..... (i previously had Cruciate ligament surgery 8 years ago on that side!)
Good luck with rehab, I am having physio 2 x per week for the foreseeable future

@swissviv :welome: to BoneSmart I am going to ask one of the moderators to help you create your own thread, so that we and others can help you with any questions you may have.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi again, @swissviv
We haven't heard from you for a day or two. How are you getting on?

Hello @swissviv
I had a patellofemoral replacement as well! So good to hear your positive report. Mine was on Sept. 2nd and all seems pretty good so far other than some clicking! How are you doing now?
Melissa
( Chelsea 23 )

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member