• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

partial knee replacement for biker,skier, skater

Pghkid

Country
United States United States
I’m 59 and having partial knee , right on oct 31 and left on dec 19. My doctor says I can return doing all my activities. This means playing ice hockey, road biking 25 miles, skiing 4 times a winter. Has anyone out there proven this is possible.

Poctdb

senior
Country
Return to normal life is the purpose of doing this.

P.S. I had a TKR and am playing pickle ball and riding the recumbent bike 30 miles a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Yes, plenty of members return to very active lives, but you need to heal first. Recovery, even from a partial, takes an average of a full year. If you rush into your favorite activities before your knee is ready, you can slow down your recovery with set backs.

Recovery is temporary, be patient and take the time your knee needs. Then you’ll have a good recovery foundation to go out and do those things you want.

rustic

Country
I’m 59 and having partial knee , right on oct 31 and left on dec 19. My doctor says I can return doing all my activities. This means playing ice hockey, road biking 25 miles, skiing 4 times a winter. Has anyone out there proven this is possible.
I found your thread, and am now following, thanks to @Poctdb, indirectly. I was also 59 when I got my tkr, and I just wanted to encourage you that yes, "this is possible." I've had a couple lingering problems, and might not make it back to all my previous sports, but most of them are intact. Most of my athletic tkr friends and acquaintances have recovered to there sports more quickly than I am doing, but I'm getting there. Good luck on your upcoming surgeries.

kbbroiler

Country
Canada Canada
Okay I played ball hockey for a season and not ice but I stopped playing. At first it was a bit stiff but I’m a goalie but flexibility was not there. It came back but then decided not to play this season. I had other stuff going on anyways but skating is ok I have tried that. Bike meaning bike or motorcycle I got both and they’ve been ok to ride. Like I said I probably would have been ok playing but being flexible was a part of my style before and didn’t want to be like Glenn Healy who was the last stand up goaltender.

OP
OP
P

Pghkid

Country
Thanks for passing on your experience. I had the Pkr surgery Oct 31(Thursday) at 10:30 am. I was given a nerve block and another spinal shot. Surgeon said things went perfect. I did therapy the following morning with the nerve block still inserted. I did great at the therapy pulling 123 degrees and had no problems. Was thinking this was a breeze. Then the nerve block was removed. That afternoon I did a 2nd PT and oh my reality hit home :) The PT was excruciating at best. The rest of Friday and Saturday were OUCH. Bending the knee for therapy was about the most pain I’ve ever felt in short burst. But now it’s Sunday and the swelling has decreased a little. I’m getting around trading off between walker and cane. Did PT twice. Still extremely painful when bending but maybe just a little less than prior day....so that’s a good thing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Campie2
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom