TKR Pam's Painful Journey

Pam Strader How

Country
United States United States
May 2016 my horror started, 1st surgery woke up with 15lb alien attached to my leg, and every time I moved it, severe pain. My Dr. Harold Cates Parkwest, Knoxville, TN had never heard of that. Well, it was real to me & every time I tried to walk it was pain. Dr. couldn't figure it out as I am ready to blow my brains out.

He decided to see what the problem was. My surgery again October 2018, acrylic between the 2 parts were misaligned every step I took it was pinching and shaving off pieces of skin & acrylic when I walked. Dr. came out with a handful of shavings to show my husband. I got up to do therapy & ask what he did with the alien, it was gone. The acrylic was no longer misaligned either. Went to PT and was doing great the best it had ever felt since Dr. Cates started messing with it.

In March 2019 I fell on our hardwood floors in our kitchen and busted it open. 3 am laying on the kitchen floor trying to wake my husband but he can't hear me. I thought something wet was leaking from the garbage, no, it was me bleeding out on the floor. I went to the ER got 15 stitches and the pain was back, yeah, yeepie, just what I wanted again that nagging pain of a hurting leg. Then 2wks ago my meniscus tore in my left knee from carrying the weight of 2 legs. I have been going to a pain clinic. They tell me to lighten up on the Tylenol and they lighten up on my pain pill, 7.5/325 percent 2 a day. Yeah, what a woman. I have had so much pain in my legs whats 45% more going to matter.

My PT does Acupuncture and that's the only relief I get from the pain or when my bed is elevated. I go to PT come home, ice & elevate. I have screamed in agony. I am so tired of this, yet when I ask for a solution I have to see the Dr. which they gave. Made an appointment for October to see him. So pain until October and I get to be put off some MORE because that's their thing. They know not what to do with me so they just put me off I am tired of being pushed around like peanut butter. I need a new Dr in the Chattanooga to Knoxville Area. HELP!!! I HAVE THOUGHT OF SUICIDE WHAT GOOD AM I TO ANYONE BUT TROUBLE GETTING RID OF TROUBLE IS SOMETIMES THE BEST THING.
THANK Y'all for listening say. Say a prayer if you are not too busy.
Pam

Dizzy

Country
Pam, you certainly have had some bad experiences with your leg. I sympathize with you as I am 4 weeks post up and experiencing some "10" pain right now. My suggestion ...find a new surgeon and start over. Sounds daunting, I know, but that's the only sensible choice you have! Right now, I am asking God to give me strength...Will ask for you too!

sistersinhim

Country
I agree that you need a new OS, one that specializes in revisions. @Jamie will be able to help you find someone in your area.

alexthecat

omega
Country
@Pam Strader How hello!:wave:

We've already met on Twitter, but :welome: to the BoneSmart forum! You're in the right place to get answers to your questions and share experiences with other joint replacement patients. I'm glad you're here.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Hi, Pam. Welcome to BoneSmart.
I'm sorry you are experiencing so much pain. It would appear from what you've written that your current problems started with your fall in March of 2019 and you were doing okay up until then with your revised knee. Is that correct?

Since you've had so much pain after the fall, have you been back to see your revision surgeon? Can you tell me who that doctor is, please?

OP
OP
P

Pam Strader How

Country
OH YES BEEN BACK SEVERAL TIMES AS IN FRIDAY BUT SAW NP YOU DON'T SEE THE DOCTOR HE'S TOO BUSY. Dr. Harold Cates, Parkwest Orthopedic Group Knoxville TN They made me an appointment with him October 12, 2020. Do you want to see my x-ray from friday???

OP
OP
P

Pam Strader How

Country
Yes I was amazed at how much better it was so looking forward to getting on with life.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
So when you saw the nurse practitioner on Friday, what did she have to say about your xray and the cause of your pain?

And what did the doctor or the nurse say on previous visits? Since you fell over a year ago, I need a little history about what has happened with that knee and what your doctor has said and done.

Also, when you had your surgery October 16, 2018 to replace the plastic spacer, was that all that was done? Or did Dr. Cates also replace either of the metal components in your knee?

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pam Strader How

Country
Have had a lovely day couldn't sleep last night but I made up for it today.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@Pam Strader How ,
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. Bookmark it if you can, so you don't lose it.
Don't worry that we won't see your questions as, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

One more thing: Please don't write in all capital letters - on line, that is considered to be shouting.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Pam, here are the recovery guidelines that we give to everyone with a new knee.There may be some articles that are useful for you.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Glad you were able to get some good rest, Pam. When you have time if you could respond to my questions above, I can continue to try and help you with some options for your knee.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@Pam Strader How .... I do want to hear from you as I'm worried about your knee. I'd like to help you find a different surgeon for a consultation as your x-ray appears that your tibial implant may be loose. That would explain all the pain you're having if it is the case. If it's loose, you shouldn't be walking around on it until you see your current surgeon in October.

alexthecat

omega
Country
@Pam Strader How did you see that Jamie had some questions for you? She is the best person to help with your knee, so I hope you will respond to her. :thumb:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dgojill
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom