Bilateral TKR Pams Mar 16, 2020 bilateral TKR

Thank God you weren't hit by that car. Your soft tissues are really angry right now and it'll probably take at least a few days for it to calm down some. More than likely your implant is just fine. Those things are very tough.

My knee is much much better then it was. I was able to put the walker away again. Surgeon said continue to ice & elevate until swelling is gone. They said since I’m able to walk on it, I did not damage my replacement, just soft tissue. Bad new is I have to wait in swelling to go away before I get back to bike riding - it’s out there calling to me! I guess I need to be grateful that this is the first blip in an otherwise amazing recovery. I still want to whine tho . Now that I’ve had a taste of having a normal knee & being active again, it’s so much harder to sit around

I'm so glad there was no structural damage. Ah patience - it is a virtue. Good luck getting the swelling down! Try to ignore your bike's siren song for the time being!

Hello Pam,
Sorry to hear about your accident. It does sound like all will soon be back to normal.
I don't know about you, but March 16 seems like a long time ago!

@gooseisland1 Mar 16 seems so very long ago! Life has changed in so very many ways since then...... both my knees & life in general

I understand your joy at getting on a bicycle. It is scary to think you might injure those knees. Once you get over this episode, you'll be back on the road. It's so much fun! Take care of yourself.

I am back to riding again, doing my best to contain myself & not overdo it ..... 8 miles yesterday & 11 today. I probably could have gone more but played it safe. It’s a lovely 70 degrees with sun & I have so many miles & miles of paved bike trails along the river to explore. I’m loving my new knees so much! I had not been able to ride a bike for so many years or walk my dogs ( who now demand walks)

Attachments

• 241BA8CE-00A8-4EB4-B2CF-68349FA1D7B4.jpeg
    241BA8CE-00A8-4EB4-B2CF-68349FA1D7B4.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 345
  • 9E7190E1-49CF-4B09-B209-5E68CE919A90.jpeg
    9E7190E1-49CF-4B09-B209-5E68CE919A90.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 359
You are so blessed to have areas like that to ride in. I have to travel far to find nice trails to ride on. I'm stuck riding on the roads and have to watch out for cars.

Wonderful news @pamsknees ! What beautiful spots to do your riding! I hear applications are open for next years Tour d'France! :bicycle1:

I am back to riding again, doing my best to contain myself & not overdo it ..... 8 miles yesterday & 11 today. I probably could have gone more but played it safe. It’s a lovely 70 degrees with sun & I have so many miles & miles of paved bike trails along the river to explore. I’m loving my new knees so much! I had not been able to ride a bike for so many years or walk my dogs ( who now demand walks)

So happy to hear you are better again! I totally get your love for biking, I love it too.

I had a 3 day weekend so loaded up the dogs in the RV & we went camping, just a little over an hour from home as the RV is a new toy that I’m still getting used too. It was up in the coastal range mountains of Oregon & we had a great time- hiked 6 miles Sat & 6.5 miles Sun, up & down hills & walking in ice water streams & seeing waterfalls. Last year before knee replacement I couldn’t manage 1/4 mile without lots of pain & hills were impossible. I’m not quite 5 months out now & so pleased with the results!

Attachments

• C64284C3-0C6E-45A8-9945-3B4EF22F50AB.jpeg
    C64284C3-0C6E-45A8-9945-3B4EF22F50AB.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 336
  • BA6FDC30-7CF1-41B0-9361-E3A5E5ABE1A8.jpeg
    BA6FDC30-7CF1-41B0-9361-E3A5E5ABE1A8.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 345
  • B208E78E-9681-4D06-88D8-E55F03AC9939.jpeg
    B208E78E-9681-4D06-88D8-E55F03AC9939.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 355
You are so blessed to have areas like that to ride in. I have to travel far to find nice trails to ride on. I'm stuck riding on the roads and have to watch out for cars.
I am so blessed! I’m on the road to go less then a block down my street to hit the bike trails. In my area, even if I were to ride the roads,almost all roads here have bike lanes. With so many miles of bike trails to ride though I haven’t felt the need to ride any roads

It’s now been 5.5 months & I look back & realize how much I’ve progressed. I went back to work at 12 weeks & initially I was exhausted. I was glad I had cooked & frozen meals as it was all I could do to shower, care for my dogs, heat something up to eat & go to bed. Now I get home, let dogs out & in, go ride my bike 10-12 miles, then shower, cook & eat dinner & still have energy. I have more energy now then before knee replacement- probably because that constant pain is so exhausting. This past weekend, I had a 3 day weekend off from work so the 2 dogs & I went camping & explores lost lake- lots of bike riding & hiking. I feel very fortunate to have had my knees replaced & had such a great result!

Attachments

• 985088CE-3AE4-4A28-AA4E-D2D987EB1D4B.jpeg
    985088CE-3AE4-4A28-AA4E-D2D987EB1D4B.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 286
  • EE151259-319F-4B7F-860D-6E1E364DDA5B.jpeg
    EE151259-319F-4B7F-860D-6E1E364DDA5B.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 300
I’m at 7.5 weeks post op from bilateral TKR. I can’t wait to be where you are! Biking and hiking are two of the reasons I had my knees replaced.

Congratulations on such a terrific recovery!

How wonderful it is to be able to get back to doing the things we love. I'm also a biker and hiker and missed them terribly in my early healing days. What a joy to get back to them!

I’m at 7.5 weeks post op from bilateral TKR. I can’t wait to be where you are! Biking and hiking are two of the reasons I had my knees replaced.

Congratulations on such a terrific recovery!

I remember being at your stage & reading the forum & enjoying so much seeing success stories. I think many times people post problems but not success so I decided I’d come back & post if I was successful ( or if I wasn’t )

How wonderful it is to be able to get back to doing the things we love. I'm also a biker and hiker and missed them terribly in my early healing days. What a joy to get back to them!

It was so many years of not being able to hike or bike ride as my knees got worse & worse so it’s a huge joy now to get back to it. This has changed my life so much

Success stories like this gives me hope. I'm still waiting for bilaterals and have been in constant pain for 2 years now. Called the office early last week to see where I am on the list and was told not likely till Mar 2021 at earliest. Covid has really slowed things down here. I certainly hope I have the success like so many of you on this forum have had.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts