Bilateral TKR Pams Mar 16, 2020 bilateral TKR

We have coots around us, but I have never seen the babies. I'll pay more attention in the future.

I think standing in one spot is the worst. I try to keep stepping back and forth if I have to stay in one place for a few minutes.

If I had to stand in place I would do low marching steps. That would help.

@bikinglynn theres just about a 10 day period when the babies look like that & they tend to stay in the reeds so hard to spot......worth the time spent looking tho I think.

@sistersinhim i should have done marching or something but I was so intent on the birds that I didn’t think of my knees until it was too late.

This Mon will be 9 weeks. It’s interesting that I find myself forgetting my knees- I was good about icing & elevating but now tonight I sat down in the evening & realize I haven’t iced or elevated all day. Does this mean I can stop icing them? Or is icing helpful for the healing process?

Today I walked over 2 miles - found a nice trail at the end of a dead end road a few blocks from my house & explored it....went up & down hills that I never would have managed before my knee replacements! Attaching photos. Have I mentioned how happy I am to have done this ?!? Next plan is to buy a small RV- that was part of my plan when I sold my farm. I set aside money & if I didn’t use it in my recovery I’d buy an RV If I felt able to use it.

there are times when I feel almost guilty that my recovery has gone so well when I read of other people’s struggles. I feel as though I should post my story as I know when I was looking for information, seeing success stories gave me hope.

Attachments

• EDFF6097-BC3E-428F-890E-D5935DBB92DE.jpeg
    EDFF6097-BC3E-428F-890E-D5935DBB92DE.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 385
  • 7699E16B-7AFB-49D9-8FB7-7E2E49172529.jpeg
    7699E16B-7AFB-49D9-8FB7-7E2E49172529.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 398
What beautiful walks, :flwrysmile: it's great for one moral knowing that now you can do all the things you had trouble doing prior to your surgery - I'd say go get that RV and enjoy life and your knees to the fullest.

Regarding icing,:ice: I now only ice when I have overdone things, it really does help with the swelling especially after exercise, but on the whole I tend to forget unless my knee swells up.

It is great that you continue to do so great. The pictures are very nice, I am glad you can now go outside easily.
I am on the same schedule as yourself and I am also progressing very fast.
Meet with my OS this week, he was impressed with my knee's ROM and said I am free to do anything but jogging, see you in 10 months.

There's nothing as peaceful as walking out in nature! That paved walkway is a blessing, making it so much easier to walk. The lake added to the wonderful peace of your walk. That area will be something to look forward to seeing frequently.

Beautiful photos! Enjoy your walks while you get stronger and stronger. :walking:

It will be 10 weeks on Mon & I no longer think about my knees when I’m about to do anything ( other then stairs ). My plan when I sold my farm & scheduled my knee replacements was to be able to travel, so I set aside money to use if my recovery took longer then expected & would use it towards purchasing an RV if I didn’t use it up. I’m scheduled to go back to work on June 15 so started looking for an RV. Yesterday I drove 2 hours, looked at one & bought it! I’m super excited for the next adventure of exploring the Pacific Northwest on my days off with my dogs! I was able to climb all over it & drive it with no problems & driving 2 hrs there & back gave no trouble either. My only lingering problem is fatigue, but I suspect that’s just from having surgery of any kind & not specific to knees. They do get stiff at times, but the pain is gone!

Attachments

• 8863D442-04AF-4175-B553-B0C7C3284877.jpeg
    8863D442-04AF-4175-B553-B0C7C3284877.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 399
Oh my, what a awesome goal you have reached! Congratulations!!! Enjoy that RV and exploring God’s beautiful creation!

Hi Pam. I have enjoyed reading about your progress and your pictures. I had TKR in left knee March 5th and my recovery is going well. Were you in a good physical shape before surgery?
Congratulations with your RV!
We are living in a caravan and really enjoying the freedom, and the nature here.

Thanks for sharing your progress & recovery, I wish you all the best. Enjoy your new knees and RV :flwrysmile:
IMG_20200525_162136_839.jpg
received_255189825895893.jpeg

Congrats on the great recovery so far and the recent purchase of your RV. I am certainly looking forward to my bilaterals whenever that will happen and hope I have the success you have had. We own a travel trailer now and have travelled coast to coast across Canada with it. Sure is a great way to see the country.

Hi Pam. I have enjoyed reading about your progress and your pictures. I had TKR in left knee March 5th and my recovery is going well. Were you in a good physical shape before surgery?
My surgery was planned on long before it happened so for about 6 months before I was riding the exercise bike daily,getting up to about an hour/day & I lifted weights to build upper body strength as I knew having both done at once I’d need good upper body strength. Since I had been unable to walk longer then 1/4 mile for so long I wouldn’t say I was in great physical shape but it was as good as I could get it before surgery

Congrats on the great recovery so far and the recent purchase of your RV. I am certainly looking forward to my bilaterals whenever that will happen and hope I have the success you have had.
best wishes on your future surgery! I hope you have a great success too. This has given me my life back!

Today was my 12 week follow up visit with my surgeon. He was pleased with my progress & wont need to see me for 9 months. He asked how I am with stairs & I didn’t know because I only have one step at my house. He suggested I try their stairs in the lobby ( I always take the elevator Out of habit just because I’ve not been able to do stairs other then one step at a time & even then with great difficulty & pain). I went out there & walked down the stairs, 2 flights , just like a normal person with NO pain!!!!! Yesterday’s walk was 3 miles, up & down hills . Today is rainy, so exercise bike only (& mopping my floor). I rarely ever think about my knees anymore & haven’t felt a need to ice them lately.The only weird thing left is the numb areas, but that’s a small price to pay for the ability to walk & go up & down stairs with no pain. I’ve been walking my good dog every day & training my wild child young dog- they both love it. This week is a camping trip & I get to go back to work! Once I’ve gotten a pay check or two,I will be looking at getting a bike again- sold my last one as it was frustrating not to be able to get going as my knees would hurt so bad & id fall over. Have I mentioned how happy I am to have had this done!?!?

@pamsknees What a great report! I had my three month check up today too, and it went great. I can’t do stairs like you can, though. We have two flights of stairs in our house, and I can go up like a grown up (but still with some difficulty), but going down? Nope, not yet! I do keep trying, and trust that one day it will just happen. Best wishes as you continue to enjoy your new knees!

@Wolvesfan - I bet you’ll be going down the stairs too soon! It was a complete surprise to me that I was able to do it. I was so excited that I wanted to jump up & down & scream .

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back