Bilateral TKR Pams Mar 16, 2020 bilateral TKR

My one concern is an area of swelling & redness at the bottom inner area of my right leg - almost looks like a second incision. Photo attached.
I think you should remove the steristrips from the red area at the bottom of the wound - at 16+days post-op they aren't necessary anyway. Nothing is going to burst open.

It looks to me as if you had a couple of blisters there, possibly a reaction to the previous dressing. At any rate, the steristrips aren't helping there.

Let the air get to that area. If it weeps at all, apply a clean, dry dressing - and contact your doctor if it gets any worse.

@sistersinhim i am so enjoying the flowers in my new yard! Today’s discovery is my future blueberries 3A7B399C-C120-4E4F-B43F-4ED753377B29.jpeg
i managed a pretty long walk today.......Longer than I was able to go before knee replacement! It’s a beautiful sunny day here in Oregon

Thanks @Celle ! I sent a photo to my surgeon who said the same thing- it’s a blister .

@pamsknees - great to hear your progress. I too am so glad I had both knees done. Interested in hearing how you managed after your walk. How far did you manage? Pain? Swelling?

So I now know how you have nice flowers this early "oregon"!
I love that state. Here in upstate NY we are just getting green, my wife is just uncovering the flower gardens now. Getting outdoors is great medicine.

@Ready2HikeAgain i walked about 3 blocks with no pain . I was a little sore in the evening , but muscle pain on the outside of my thighs, not any knee pain at all. I was also totally exhausted & went to bed about 9 . I have not been having much swelling at all but I ice & elevate a lot.

@gooseisland1 the part of Oregon that I live in is a rain forest so we have lots of green. I love it here so much & am very glad to have moved here from Texas. I had a farm before Dec when I sold it & moved into town...... having a farm got to be too much work & I want to be able to travel. I was fortunate to find an amazing home with spectacular landscaping & I think my recovery is easier here then it would have been on the farm

oh do I know the outside thigh pain. I am more sore where they clamped my thigh than in the knee. I have started using heat there and seems to be helping,

I may have to try heat @gooseisland1. I expected a lot more knee pain but wasn’t expecting the thigh pain

Today is 4 weeks since my bilateral knee replacement. Knees seem to be doing well. Last night was the 1st time that I had trouble sleeping- my legs did some weird twitchy thing. Maybe I overdid it on walking around? I ended up taking a 5 mg oxycodone which knocked me out( I’ve been just taking Tylenol as the pain is so minimal)

I’m walking outside quite a bit as we have beautiful weather here in Oregon. Of course since I’m not doing PT my Rom & extension are not measured , but today I got in my car to start it since it’s been sitting in the garage for a month & I had no problem getting in or out of my car. I’m looking forward to the day when I can go bike riding on a real outside bike! I’m very glad that I had this done & especially glad that my surgeon recommended bilateral

It is great that you continue to progress so well. It seems that as we can do more the knee says "hold on" I am not ready for that!
I am now driving and started back to work yesterday. I sit at a desk in small office, I can ice when needed and move around as required to prevent stiffness. I am also glad that I did this operation, as I can feel the improvement already.

How did the driving go @gooseisland1 ? I feel like driving would not be a problem for me ( not that I have anyplace to go other then my post op visit in 10 days ). I am off work for 12 weeks - I do elevate & ice a lot which wouldn’t be possible at work for me so am glad I took the time off. My company is closed now anyways with everyone furloughed which should end about the same time that I am ready to go back.

@pamsknees, you will be pleasantly surprised when you drive. I had concerns about being able to lift my knee to push the brake and accelerator, but I discovered I don't lift my knee, I pivot my foot back and forth with my heel on the floor. The only issue is driving for any length of time, so I use cruise control when possible, so I can flex my knees a little.

Yes, bike riding on a real bike outside, that is something to look forward to!

@bikinglynn how long after surgery did you start driving? I wouldn’t be driving far, just about 3 miles to my post op visit in 10 days- it’s just easier to drive myself then to ask a friend to do it. My initial plan was to use Uber, but I’m not comfortable with that with the pandemic. I’m not taking narcotics other then an occasional 5 mg oxy on rare nights.

Driving has gone well for me. Being that I only had left knee done it is easy. I would say my leg gets uncomfortable after an hour in the car, it likes to have its postion changed frequently.
I still use oxy some nights and would not drive when using it.

@pamsknees I had a Right PKR. I was driving after 3 weeks. I did a few test drives, with some simulated panic stops. I wanted to make sure I had the ability to properly control a car. I was also down to just Tylenol for pain.

@pamsknees , I waited until my 6 week checkup when my doctor gave me the green light. My situation was different, in that I had someone to drive me around. I probably would have started sooner if I was on my own.

Thanks @Rick951 & @bikinglynn ! My 6 week post op check up is what I’m hoping to drive to. It’s not far , & I’m not on narcotics . I don’t feel like I’d have any trouble stopping- I backed out of my garage & pulled back in a few times - no pain. A friend will come drive me if I need her to, but she’s 30 minutes away so that takes several hours out of her day. Of course I may find out that they are doing telemedicine appts in which case I’ll have worried over it for nothing . Planted more seeds today & did a little longer walk. The knees seem less stiff every week & even at the end of the day have little swelling. I still ice & elevate a lot.

You are improving really nicely, especially for a bilateral that's not even a month old yet!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom