BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Painful to drive

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by donnaglo, Jul 10, 2018.

1. donnaglo

donnaglo new member

Has anyone experienced an increase in hip pain while driving? My commute is 50 minutes to an hour and it can be excruciating.

2. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @donnaglo ......yes if it's the accelerator side you're using it, either up and down to vary speed, or holding it steady and causing tension. If it's your other side I find just sitting in a car as a passenger can make it ache. Is it possible for you to stop halfway and walk round the car a few times, maybe that would give you a bit of relief

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

United States United States
    Pre-op that was one of the worst of my pains. I was driving a truck, you have no idea what driving 10 hour shifts in pain was like. In a big truck I had an air seat so I was constantly adjusting it. In my pickup I would have to stop and get out and walk around. It didn't hurt walking but would kill me to drive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dlp

dlp senior

Yep - in my previous car the bucket seats seemed to aggravate the hip. Was OK for short drives, but long drives really got to be a problem. Got to be a game of finding seat position and pedal distance options that didn't make it harder for me to fully depress the clutch when I needed to :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bull76!

Bull76! junior member

Ireland Ireland
    I was in the same position, pain wasn't bearable after about 30mins. In fact I found all sitting down unbearable so much so I haven't sat down properly for the last 2 years, when I had my last arthroscopic surgery. Cortisone injection did nothing for me but were given as an option to see what if any effect it could bring.

I've just had my right hip replaced and I'm sitting down without the pain that was once there. Different pain now but that is muscle pain which will ease.

Hope you find easement soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. donnaglo

donnaglo new member

Thank you anny, dlp, Bull76! and Eman85

I couldn’t imagine driving 10 hrs @Eman85 I could not do it.

@Bull76! that is about my breaking point too, 30 mins and unbearable. I’m so happy to hear you're sitting down without the pain post op. Hoping your muscle pain eases quickly.

@anny on my way to work I do stop about midway and walk a bit which gives me a chance to catch my breath. I need to start the same on the ride home.

@dlp finding seat position has become the game for me too. If I have the seat as far back as it will go and can keep my leg straight it eases the pain a bit. Using cruise control in my car when possible is very helpful. I’m not certain if a THR is the answer yet but something needs to be done. I’m not willing to live this way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    donnaglo, sorry to have to do this but can you not use multiple tags, please? Users with mobile devices report that it makes it very difficult for them to access a post very well as they get in the way.

And your friends who have previously posted to you will be watching your thread so there's really no need for them anyway. I have deactivate those tags.

We do have an official announcement about this Use of multiple tags or alerts in posts

8. kayak59

kayak59 senior

@donnaglo It took quite some time before I was comfortable sitting in anything other than a padded chair, like my recliner but I was eventually (after my left hip). Its been 4 months since my right hip was done and I've been on several long drives and if I don't use the cruise control, my hip does hurt! I also kayaked for 20 miles on July 4th and that involves bracing the foot against a foot pedal, somewhat similar to driving but with the leg/hip tilted to the side. That hurt too -- no cruise control for that. No pain on the left side so that is encouraging! I still have to remind myself that its ONLY been 4 months.....

Someone mentioned sitting in a bucket seat hurt; I have noticed something similar. The shape of my left hip (THR in May 2017) looked VERY different front my right. Now after the right is done, its shape is changing to be more like the left. I haven't done any measurements but I believe the widest part of my hip is now higher than it was before. I have three kayaks and those seats are snug, with hip pads. It definitely feels different when I sit in them now. Fortunately I do still fit! I sat in a white water kayak that I've had my eye on for a couple years recently. I last sat in it before my hip replacements (after my TKRs) and it was fine. But now, I guess because of the shape of my hips, it absolutely doesn't. White water kayak seats are much snugger than normal to hold you in when you roll so looks like I need to find another model. (Kayaks are like golf clubs -- you need different boats for different kinds of water.)

Those of you who had your hips done over the last couple years; did you notice a change in shape?

Best wishes in your recovery, @donnaglo. Remember, cruise control is your friend!