TKR Update

Hoping that the recalls do not apply to this implant!!
It's is not possible that you have the implant that was recalled. According to my (unscientific) research the recall took place in 2015. Since your surgery was this year - well you see where I am going.

I have a Zimmer Biomet hip and I am totally satisfied with it.

Glad you are not taking your surgeons silly advice about heavy PT. You don't need to add to your pain levels. Does ice and elevation ease this pain?

Ice and elevation helps a bit. I do think it is making very small improvements. My visit the other day was primarily to try to verify that the implant did not work loose. According to my surgeon it is fine in that regard. So I am thinking simply common sense activity, like walking the dog, using my recumbent cycle with no resistance and forget about the PT they want me to do!!

I was just unthrilled to see that this brand ever had a recall. I realize mine should not be one of the recalled units, but honestly who knows?? Like I said, I am just going to try to keep healing best I can and probably not have much else to do with the surgeon. If I did get to the point where I needed surgery again, it will not be this guy!!

Anyway, Hope Santa is good to you all!!

Merry Christmas

DOC

I was just unthrilled to see that this brand ever had a recall.
I think a recall is all a part of how this amazing surgery has evolved. There have been many recalls (hips and knees) a discoveries that sound very negative. But they got us where we are now.

As you are experiencing - this recovery really has no timeline. Some recover quickly, others take a bit longer. You'll get there @DOCCUKE ! Patience prescribed in large doses.

I am working on the patience thing!
I can tell you if I had any inkling it was going to be like this I never would have done it! I have used up all PTO time at work, took over a month unpaid and I still have worse pain then pre surgery! I can only work from home for so long, things are piling up & I am going to have to go back full time in the next couple of weeks & just eat the pain!

Not a pleasant prospect. Reality is rough!!

I find it draining just trying to not be angry 24/7!!

At this point I figured it will take however long it it will take & I will just have to deal with a whole lot of pain! I know I am ranting again, sorry. Going to go to sleep. Still the best part of the day is when I am not awake

Hope you all have a great pain free evening

DOC

I can tell you if I had any inkling it was going to be like this I never would have done it!
I feel the same way about my partial. Everything I read beforehand about partials, made it seem like it wouldn’t be a big deal. Well it’s been a very big deal, and I still have discomfort and limitations that I didn’t have before.

Maybe you should start a search for a second opinion. Usually a surgeon won’t see someone else’s patient within the first year, often because things do resolve as time goes on, but sometimes they will.

At least it might be a good idea to consider who you could see if things don’t resolve.

I figured at this point I should give it the full year. If another doctor wanted to do surgery that is about the last thing I want is to start over, especially when I know a revision would be even worse!! I think I am pretty well stuck with what I have and pretty much tough ****!!

I have made some serious mistakes in my life, but this was dam well the biggest one!! This has already had significant negative impact on my life and my ability to work for a living, and apparently will continue to do so!! Oh well, I need to go back to sleep, dam knee woke me AGAIN

While a revision can be more difficult for the surgeon that doesn’t mean the recovery is always more difficult for the patient. We’ve had some members who had a tough original recovery because there was a problem. Their revision corrected that problem and they did much better recovering from a correct surgery.

And I hear you about not wanting to have a revision. That’s where I am.

While some second opinions go well, others do not. It’s a tough boat to be in. I’ve had 2 second opinions and they don’t see anything wrong on my X-ray, so, “there’s no problem.” But I bet if their knee felt like mine, they would seek a solution.

Whatever. While I do have limitations now that were caused by the surgery I’m a bit fed up with second opinions, and I am managing. I don’t have a lot of bad pain, “just” a lot of annoying discomfort. I’ll wait until something “snaps” and then they will have something to fix.

I do hope yours resolves, at the very least, to a manageable level, at best, to something you are happy with. I am much better now than I was at 4-5 months post op.

Your knee isn't even 5 months old, so it's not 1/2 through the year of healing. I still have some pain at 4-5 months and many others did, too. Try to be patient. I know, easier said than done.

A riding buddy of ours fell on the ice last week. Landed full weight on his right knee & broke his kneecap in 3 places. After a week in the hospital they sent him home. He has a brace from his thigh to his ankle. He lives alone & his job is physical. I think this will be a tough rehab

I’m sorry to read about your friend. Does he have family nearby?

@Motherbone broke her kneecap, 3 weeks after her knee replacement. She would understand his recovery.

@sistersinhim had her kneecaps removed some years ago, so she would also be a good support for him.

@DOCCUKE, did they remove your friend's kneecap or are they trying to repair it? I wore a full-legged immobilizer for 6 weeks for each of my kneecap removals. I can't give you any experience on a repaired broken kneecap, but I can help with the removal of it.

I am not certain but I believe they repaired his. I will ask him today. Ok, here is my dummy question for the day. What does the kneecap actually do? I look at pics & it seems like it is just there! Is it kind of like a spring to keep the knee in the socket?

And if so how do you function without it?

Sounds stupid but I am just not clear on it's function

I’m sorry to read about your friend. Does he have family nearby?

He lives alone. His daughter isn't too far away, and his ex stayed there the first 2 days he was home

My wife and I will probably visit him soon to see if we can help with anything. He is about half an hour from us.

I was immobilized for two months, no bending of the knee, after my patella fractured. It was tough but I managed to figure out ways to take care of my needs in the house. I don't know what your friend's work entails but I was not allowed to bear full weight for about 6 weeks, after which it was weight bearing as tolerated, but still with no flexing. Standing and walking were challenging and I couldn't drive for several months.

Good evening all
Does anyone have any idea what would be a good knee pad to use so I can kneel on my TkR knee & work on my motorcycle or is there just no safe way to kneel on a TKR?

Thanks
DOC

PS
My knee still sux & I am just trying to get used to the fact that this is my reality!!

Still regret having it done & pretty sure I will always feel that way

I don’t know what to tell you about a knee pad. Some members are able to kneel, but they say it feels really weird. Others are not able to at all. I haven’t tried and don’t plan to, I know I won’t be able to do it, but then I didn’t have a good outcome, so you can’t go by me.

What the members who can kneel have done is to start out kneeling on something “soft” like a pillow, and on a bed.

You might be too early in recovery to accomplish it yet, or to try, considering how uncomfortable you already are.

But, where you are now is not where you will end up. As I said, my outcome has not been good, but I am way better now than I was at 6 months post op! (though not as good as I was before I had this partial done. :hairpulling: )

I can kneel just fine on the bed or a pillow. Haven’t tried kneeling directly on the floor yet.

I haven’t kneeled on this knee in more than a decade. I end up sitting and leaning and finding other ways to get low, to, for example, fix a flat bicycle tire. That said, I never have to get low enough to work on a motorcycle for long stretches.

Gardeners might have some ideas.

Jockette’s reminder that where you are now is not where you will end up is important to remember. You very likely will be doing the things you want to do as you continue to heal.

I guess I should have done better research prior to the surgery. If I had any notion that I would be worse off then before surgery I never would have done it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member