TKR 8 months after TKR

I was just curious if anyone experiences shin pain after tkr, it's so bad at night , I'm hoping this is normal,

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Please don't start any new recovery threads.

@rmc@1021
I also get shin pain...and hip pain, calf pain and ankle pain at times. I had TKR on 6/30 and assume these pains are from using those muscles more as my mobility increases. In addition, probably because I may be using those muscles in a different way to try to protect the knee, such as more pressure on the ankle every time I get up from a sitting position. I’ve been trying to be very mindful about walking heel to toe with the knee replacement and that seems to help. But who knows, that’s just my theory and from everything I hear on this site, those tissues in that legs are still so angry from all the trauma. Have you tried icy hot on your shin? I use the roll-on, and it was OK’d by my 0S as long as I don’t get it near the incision. It really does seem to help, especially when I’m trying to fall asleep and everything seems to ache. Good luck with your recovery!

I was just curious if anyone experiences shin pain after tkr, it's so bad at night , I'm hoping this is normal,
Has this come on lately? Is it random? I had various cramps and pains sometimes what seemed like randomly. Some of it might be from using muscles in awkward ways while recovering.
My PT told me to stretch (gently) before bed and that seemed to help.

This just cane on this week and its every night now, the pain goes into my foot, it's a awful ache

Are you conscious of how you are walking? I heel to toe gait should be the way you step. If you are not walking that way you can develop shin splints. I had them, too, and they are quite painful. Make sure that heel goes down first and that you roll up unto your toes with each step.

I have been walking heel to toe but my knee is so tight and it's hard to walk that 100% all the time , I can barely bend my knee at times

I like you also have shin pain. My revision to a right total knee was on july 29, 2020. I also have extensive bruising and painful right foot. It almost feels like my foot is broken. I am massaging my leg and foot with Arnicare gel. It is a cooling and soothing homeopathic treatment. Get it on amazon. Do give it a try. Its unbelievable how sore everything isThis forum is great! I read much more than I post and feel in such good company with my painful knee.

I had bilateral TKR on July 6th. I was getting really bad pain behind my right knee that radiated down to my calf, around to my shin and down to my foot. It was excruciating and often happened at night, making sleep impossible. I talked to my therapist about it, and showed him where it hurt. He could feel the muscles knotted up in my lower leg. It all stemmed from a super tight hamstring in my right leg. The left leg is totally fine. So he gave me stretches and exercises to help with the hamstring tightness. Walking heal/toe is very important. To help with this and to give extra stretch, my PT also has me walking backwards focusing on toe/heal and really stretching that heal. I’m also doing lunge stretches on my staircase. It is working. Talk to your therapist about your pain. S/he will be able to give you specific exercises/stretches to address it.

Sorry this is a new thread I been trying to figure out how to keep all my posts on one thread and did not see a way, I'm feeling a little discouraged, I tried to go to the store today to look at something I wanted to purchase I was in there and 10 min after being on my leg I had to leave because of pain, I'm not getting any answers about how much I should walk, it's been 6 weeks since surgery I am sleeping somewhat better but getting around is still pretty painful and the more I am on it the more I hurt, I read to increase your walking everyday so i am guessing that's up the street and back? I also ice at least 10 times a day is that too much? I wear a compression stocking a couple hours a day , I feel like i am doing everything i can, I am still doing PT and my ROM is 115, i do get alot of massages there because half the staff i wont let touch me because of the way they push u to pain, srry for venting so much i just feel the doctors dont tend to tell you much and that's a whole other issue there too, they are wanting me off the pain meds asap. I dont know if I am ready to go off them , but they are adamant about it. Thanx for listening

rmc@1021
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

I tried to go to the store today to look at something I wanted to purchase I was in there and 10 min after being on my leg I had to leave because of pain,
Shopping is too much for your knee right now, consider ordering online, or having someone shop for you.
I read to increase your walking everyday so i am guessing that's up the street and back?
You do not need to increase your walking every day, find a distance you can walk without any problem and stay there for a few days, then add a little bit more distance and see how you do, adjust accordingly depending how your knee reacts.
I also ice at least 10 times a day is that too much?
No it is not too much, you should be icing and elevating for at least 45 minutes several times a day. When ever you are sitting or in bed, elevate your leg.
I am still doing PT and my ROM is 115,
Your ROM is fine, no need to try for more, as you heal your ROM will increase naturally as the swelling and inflammation go down.
Suggest you no longer need PT, you an go back later when you are healed and work on your balance if needed.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
they are wanting me off the pain meds asap. I dont know if I am ready to go off them
Call your primary doctor and see if they will prescribe appropriate pain medications.

Hopefully as you adjust your activity and take a break from PT your knee will settle down and you can wean off naturally as your pain goes down.

@rmc@1021 - Pumpkln posted a link for you on how to find your threads and posts. If you click on the blue writing, it will take you directly to the article.

We do have a section on How To Use This Forum .
Click on that blue writing and it will take you to an area where there are lots of articles about how to do things on BoneSmart

Pumpkin posted the word bump and did not know what she meant

Also thank you for all the encouraging replies and advice , it makes me feel positive that I'm doing good ty

Pumpkin posted the word bump and did not know what she meant
That was part of the process of merging your threads. It's gone now because your threads are merged.

Do you understand now how to find your thread and how to post on it?

One of the moderators says I'm doing it correctly so I guess so

I have been mostly restongvknee today, I did a mild PT andxthought it would loosen my knee up, a few hrs later my knee became so stiff I could barely walk, I been icing it all day, does anyone have any suggestions to loosen it up , I have done some basic exercises today at home to loosen it but it's not helping , it's so stiff it feels like my knee skin is going to rip, has anyone experienced this?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back