TKR Pain

Jwell

Country
United States United States
I had 1st TKA 2013, #2 2018. I've always had a punching pain medial in left one. But the one done in 2018 Rt. One is now so bad I can hardly walk. I'm waiting for call from pain Dr. To do nerve aboard injections..but the covid-19 has stopped all office visits. Just before shut down I'd had the 2 separate injections & it worked. The second one's lasted nice & long, almost 8 hrs.. My question is has anyone else had problems with pinching medial pain on old TKA like this? I mean pain meds don't even touch this pain. Walking is almost out of the question. Or has anyone seen pain management & had nerve burn?? I am one of those 1 in a million if anything can go wrong does!!

By a nerve burn are you meaning RFA? Radio Frequency Ablation. Yes I've had it done. Being honest here, and this is just me and my opinion, it was a total waist of time, energy and about a thousand dollars. As a last ditch effort to cross off everything prior to a third TKR Revision my surgeon pretty much insisted on me having one.

Mine was specifically on the Genicular Nerve. I was told its about 60% receiving some relief, I wasn't in that category. It did nothing for me. I know of someone else who doesn't have as bad of knee's as I do and he had relief for over 9 months, then had another one.

When we are in pain sometimes we don't think things through. At least I don't. I want the pain to stop. If I recall someone on these boards had one, but I don't recall their personal results. Hopefully you'll be able to get some relief. Does ice & elevation do anything? That is my gold standard - it always helps.

Hi, thanks did you have injections before knee surgery?? Or after TKA?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jwell have you actually met with the surgeon and had a complete exam to address this pain? Sounds like there is more to this than continually having injections. Can you get a second opinion on that knee from someone totally removed from the surgeon you originally saw?

Hello @Jwell - and :welome:
I'm sorry you're still having pain. I agree with Jaycey's advice.

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacements, so we can make a complete signature for you? Knowing the exact dates will help us to advise you appropriately.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Sept 2013 left TKA then #2 was done on Sept 2018 Rt. TKA. They was done by 2 different surgeon. 1st one has retired, 2nd one is head of Ortho, we're I worked as RN..I've been to see both nothing is wrong, mechanical. These injections are being done at pain clinic. Why wouldn't I think they knew what's best??just got appt for June 16 for the real & final injections. It was explained to me that this happens to someone, nerves are agrevated after sx. Any words would be so helpful why is this happening to me. The joint is just fine, moves no pain there.

I had the RFA after a TKR then my first revision. It was done in Oct & the following Feb I had revision #3 followed by Oct revision #4.

I guess you can look at it like one medication works well for you but does nothing for someone else. You just have to keep trying to find what works for you. I totally get it, its tiring and frustrating. Hang in there.

What's a revision? Why so many times? I've been thinking about should I just get the shots & hope it works or go back to surgeon who did this ?? Or go to another one. I worked Ortho & thought about people who were so trusting to come back for AKA because there TKA had failed or gotten infected. I'm like why would you ever come back to the Dr who did this..guess I'm there now. Just can't see going back and complain to Dr. When I've already done so. Guess shots are best for me now. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I was looking for anyone who has had this pain after surgery..

The first time your knee is replaced its a TKR. If for some reason that fails the next surgery is called a revision. Its a more complex surgery because the surgeon has to remove the TKR and rework the knee. There is differing opinions on using cement or cementless replacements. In my situation with all of the failures - unstable knee - my surgeon used my banked red blood cells mixed with the cement on my last revision. I will say my knee is stable and sound. Still bruised, quite swollen and stiff but it is stable.

The surgeon whom did my TKR referred me on because of the complexity of my post surgery issues. Many surgeon's wouldn't see me. I'd done my homework and knew whom I wanted to do my surgery and waited to see him. Before ever seeing him he'd ordered ton's on blood work and knee scans, of course along with all past surgical charts. He has done my three revisions. Some questioned me but he is whom I felt comfortable with and respected. Equally he respected both hubby and myself - we weren't a number, we were a challenge. For my last revision - Oct - I can't tell you the massive amount of scans, xrays, blood work, blood banking, nerve studies, etc I had done prior. Its rare anyone has this many revisions - don't I feel special!! The day of the surgery he did 2 scopes in the morning. The surgery team then had lunch then I was up - he'd basically cleared his schedule to be able to give my knee the time it needed to be corrected. He'd said it would be a very long surgery, and it was. It was over 6 hours - he was meticulous, as I'd expected him to be. In the hospital he came in at least 2x's a day and his PA also. He said my knee "humbled him." Not many surgeons would admit that. At least I don't think they would. My point in rambling on - it takes time to find the right person to operate on you. If you want the same surgeon and feel confident go for it. If your hesitant at all, start looking for a new surgeon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts