pain sitting/walking more then 30 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

trish.tx

I had LTHR may 22, I was told at first post op visit I could now walk full weight bearing, PT had me walk with cane and and walker. I can ride in front seat of car now no longer then 2 hours. I notice my butt gets tired of sitting now and I have to get up and move around and then I notice my lower back and tail bone hurts after sitting. I also have heat in groin area but if I lay dn or move around it goes away . Is this normal after surgery.

My questions about sitting is my job is a special ed school bus driver. My route is app.2-1/2 hours am & pm . I realize its only been a month since my surgery and Im lucky my job want start until end of aug. So I am really hoping this will get better and I will be able to walk without a cane.
Am I rushing things
, or is this just part of getting stronger after surgery?:sct:

Welcome Trish,

My hip replacement was last June. What you are describing sounds all normal and part of the healling. Each week you will see improvements if you don't push it too much. You will feel better and stronger each week as well. At my 3 month apt all my restrictions were lifted, I had been swimming a mile at a time, then started hiking before swimming. STill had aches and pains for maybe another 6 weeks, but very mild. Unfortuanately I was fired from my special ed teaching job so did not have one to go back to.
It was good for my healing as I took as long as I needed. You might still be tired, but totally capable I would think.

Are you having any physical therapy?
Congrats on the new hip
judy:thmb:

Hey I am now 10 weeks. Honeslty when I was 4 weeks I was the same. Around 6-8 weeks I noticed a big change...It was just all around better.. What a diff another mth can make. I think you will be fine. Right now you will have lil pains here and there. I did get tired as well of sitting around. I know, you said it, your only 1 mth. Dont rush it. Take it easy and you will be just fine........Sounds like you are doing really well so far.......

Tex, this is the hip forum! :hehe:

Trish, all you describe is par for the course. The pain in your lower back is probably due to 1) the surgery 2) the unbalanced walking and 3) healing taking place.
Nothing out of the ordinary. Just do what your body tells you to when it tells you to.

Welcome Trish. I know exactly what you are feeling! I had the same limitations on sitting at 4 weeks when I went back to work part-time (sit down, desk job). My OS said no sitting longer than 1 hour at a time. That was no problem, after 30 minutes I had to get up and move anyway it was so uncomfortable. So I did a little walking, a little stand-up PT exercise, then I could sit for another 30 minutes. I can sit longer now, but even trying to watch a 2-1/2 hour movie from my cushy recliner I still have to get up midway to stretch. I think that will improve over time. And, don't rush - 4 weeks is early yet! You'll get there.:thmb:

Welcome. Trish! Yep! Sounds like you're right on schedule with your healing! We're supposed to be ising and elevating A LOT at this point! Don't worry about August yet.....concentrate on healing NOW!!! You will be amazed and delighted with your progress the next couple of weeks! :)

Trish
No I was not fired do to my hip. that is illegal. Dont' worry.
You really sound like you are doing just perfect. Just keep resting, icing doing your stretches and gentle exercises. It was a very major surgery so be good to yourself.
judy

I am so very happy with my new hip. I just saw my doc today and thanked him once again. I am seeing him for my knee now!!!
judy:hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back