BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Pain seems to have gone - advice

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by *cat*, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Ariel

Ariel junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Two moths ago I went to see an OS, I had pain but not constantly but severe when it hit...and then it dried up. I was going to cancel at my pre-op but then it came back with a vengeance. Last night I was headbutting the bar in pain for three hours. Cartlidge does not regenerate and OS do not recommend surgery for fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. CPH

CPH member

United States United States
    Everyone gets there in their own time and it sounds like your at at that point. Congratulations! Words of wisdom and experience...even though you have accepted the inevitable, don’t be surprised or discouraged if you find yourself slide back an forth on the “I’m getting this done” scale. My THR is now only 8 days away and while I have no intention of backing out, I still have days of thinking “why me” and “how did this happen” and of course worry about recovery, infections and a less than satisfactory outcome. For now I’ve put myself on a healthy weight loss program and been eating better so my currently good hip stays healthy, and my new one lasts to the end....which I hope is a long long time.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

Just read all these posts, which were interesting about the different xrays. Mine also was moderate arthritis with small labrum tear and fraying plus tiny bone spurs and stuff I don't understand exactly. No bone on bone. I waited 4 weeks before getting a date for surgery to see if it might clear up. I had a good xray 2 years ago when my hip acted up, but nothing serious and it still took 4-5 months before I no longer was bothered by it back then. Then last summer on my 3mile walks my left mid thigh muscle always hurt some and when I twisted behind me to see something I got a sharp pain from my hip to my knee, was scary. Then in mid February husband and I drove our motor home to Florida for a month and when we stopped on the way there I could not walk without limping. We kept going anyway, and I even did a very long hike through Ocala forest, about 6 miles. I was in a lot of thigh pain the whole time and spent the remainder of our vacation limping around. I was hoping it would go away, but it never has and that brought me to my OS on April 1. He ordered xray, MRI, and EMG. It's an elective surgery, so I have to make the final decision. Can't walk far, bending over gives me a Charlie horse feeling right above the hip joint. I can't do straight leg raise w/o pain, and after sitting even for a bit, I stiffen up. If I step wrong the pain radiates through my front thigh muscles. Can't step up stairs leading with left leg at all, very painful. My OS did not push me to a decision either, but I dont see this getting better this time. He did not believe arthroscopy was right for my age, but I could try it if I wanted. I did not want it and so we set a date for THR. I'm 11 days away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Chaotic

Chaotic junior member

@Cecropia the decision is so hard. I made the decision already to go forward, at the same time I vacillate multiple times daily. Even though "right now" me is only in mild to moderate pain (nightime it goes up), I'm having the surgery for future me. The me who wants to travel, go on excursions, walk machu picchu, or just grocery shop without a throb or an ache. Yes I can deal with the pain, I can even wait until the pain gets so bad that I can't deal with it. But think of all the time in between. My surgeon said it's not a matter of if, but when. I choose a pain free life while I'm young enough to live it.

But I still change my mind every day :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@Chaotic :whistle: I just want to go to sleep and wake up in 11 days and go to my surgery appointment. :yes!: Now that would be pretty cool. I had my phone preop this a.m. And Monday is my preop at the hospital. Will see my OS one more time before surgery. He said bring your list of questions and I'll answer them. I have a list...:heehee:
    I hope my appointment is long enough....:giggle:

• Funny Funny x 2