THR Pain post op

Hippiechick213

Country
Canada Canada
Day 4 post op hip replacement. Medicine taken and stiffness and pain in area in thigh in left leg. More pain than pre op. Normal?

Hi :wave:
:welome: to BoneSmart and recovery. Thanks for joining us and congrats on your new hip!
Please rest assured the pain you mentioned is very normal. You just experienced major surgery involving cutting, reaming, pounding disturbing all of the surrounding soft tissue. Lots of healing needs to happen.
Please leave the exact date of your THR and which hip was replaced so we are able to create a signature for you.

In addition to taking your meds on schedule (and notifying your surgeon if you don't feel the meds are adequately controlling your pain) begin icing if you're not already. It works wonders in my opinion. I iced constantly if I was sitting or lying down. Take special care to always place fabric between bare skin and the ice source and target at least four tines a day for no less than 45 minutes each time. However, you can ice as often as you're comfortable doing so. Elevation will also help with the swelling that causes pain. You will find articles on both the Recovery Guidelines below.

Please stop back if you have any questions. You will love the support you find here as you share your progress with us. Wishing you lots of comfort as you begin healing. Take good care and know we're here if you need us :)

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

At 4 days, I expect you are near peak pain.

Post surgery, the pain in the thigh is normally going to be much more than the incision site. During surgery they stretched your muscles. Sometimes there is numbness for a good while. Numb has its advantages.

That cold treatment can be good. It may be too late to get a lift chair and get full advantage from that, but maybe not.

First couple of days you are still under the benefit of the pain meds during surgery and at hospital. Days 3 and 4 were my worst by far.

Lots of Ups and Downs the first few weeks.

Here in MX I was given Tramadol for pain at home for the first week. After than I used Advil as needed.

Welcome, you will get a lot of info here on pain, icing and elevating during recovery.
Keep us posted.

Yeah, I was a good week of considerable discomfort as I worked to wean off the meds. Then it was a gradual decline over the next couple of weeks until it was just a dull throb and then probably a couple more until it was essentially gone. Take your time and let it heal. Your body will do the rest.

After what they do to us it's amazing how little pain we have post-op. Ice and rest are the best things in the first weeks of recovery.

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
How about an update on your progress next time you stop by? We'd love to hear how you're doing.
Hopefully all is well and you're getting stronger each month. All the best to you!
@Hippiechick213

THR Nov 14, 2022
I am now seeing a physiotherapist for rectus tendinitis (quad) hip impingement. Saw my surgeon for this diagnosis and now seeing physiotherapist.
Need to stretch hip flexor and the front left groin pain will diminish. Happy camper!
I thought I was doomed to chronic pain.

Great news that you received a diagnosis and are working toward obtaining relief!
Thankfully you're happy and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. :happydance:Keep at it.
A great weekend to you. Stay in touch and let us know how it's going for you.

Please notice that I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. Thanks! :)
@Hippiechick213

So I had total hip replacement left side, November 14, 2022.

I am in pain due to rectus tendinitis. This was diagnosed by my surgeon seven weeks ago. X-ray was done with nothing seen untoward.

I have prescription anti-inflammatory, I take Tylenol arthritis ..I have exercised.. I have not exercised.. I have used heat.. I have Stretched.. I have I’m now trying acupuncture. I am so despondent because I have chronic pain. My hip tendon? in the front clicks when I sit down, Ugh

I figured this was a safe place to vent.

@Hippiechick213 So sorry you are suffering! Are you icing the area at all. Tendonitis is very persistent and can take awhile to settle. Meanwhile, baby that hip.

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

I’m sorry…have you tried to get in sooner? That’s awhile to wait if you’re in pain.
I wish you comfort. :console2:
@Hippiechick213

I saw him in April and am on anti inflammatory prescription meds. Not getting better with that. We see when I see him again in July. Not the recovery I envisioned.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom