Pain on the inner thigh area?

CricketHip

Staff member since June 5, 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
ok, I should know all this stuff by now but I find myself worrying about this pain on the inner thigh of my bad hip side.
It actually started years ago while recovering from my first hip replacement ( other hip, that is)
This is like a burning pain that never lets up and I get a lot of cramps and muscle spasms there too.
It’s on the inside and about halfway down on my thigh. Maybe about 9 inches above my inside knee?
Has anybody else experienced pain on the inner thigh during their pre op wait?
Seems like it’s usually pain on the outer thigh for most people.

Hi CricketHip. My pain was all on the outer thigh until I actually became bone-on-bone. Then I experienced the dreadful grinding pain in the groin. But it doesn't sound like that's what you're experiencing.

You describe this as burning pain, so it makes me think nerve pain. Also you had an anterior approach, which is also associated occasionally with nerve pain...although how it would impact the opposite leg stumps me. We do have this article in our library... does any of this resonate with you?

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/neuropathy-or-nerve-pain-what-happens.41946/

Another article is about psoas pain...
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/psoas-pain.35431/

And that that article links to this goldmine of information:
http://peterborten.com/thigh-pain-coming/
Perhaps this article will give you some clues.

I have that. I had my right hip replaced 4 years ago and prior to that I had burning inner thigh and inner knee and I couldn’t sit at all (and it was in both legs), eventually it went to just the groin on that side. About a month ago I over did it working g out and bam..now the burning pain in inner thigh and inner knee is back and groin pain in right. It burns more to sit. Went to surgeon and now bone on bone in right hip. He explained that it is not unusual to have this symptom. Time for another new hip for me.

@CricketHip Pre-op hip pain can radiate all over your body. And you are probably getting cramps and muscle spasms from walking all wrong trying to stay off that sore hip. Does Tylenol take the edge off this?

I was thinking the same...walking badly, body wide inflammation...it seemed like all kinds of things were going on by the time I had my hips replaced.
Hope July comes quickly for you!

My RTHR is coming up in August. The most recent X-ray shows an area of total cartilage loss, cyst formation, and a bone spur.

I have radiating pain down my inner thigh from deep in my groin all the way to my knee - as well as pain from my “sits” bone, and pain on the outside of my hip.

I am taking 8-hour Tylenol and it cuts pain by half.

My physical therapist suggested I try using a home TENS unit directly on the inside affected thigh while simultaneously applying a heating pad to the outside. It’s been very soothing, particularly at bedtime, when every little bit of soothing helps the most!!

My TENS was less than $30 from Amazon.

As an FYI - the PT I am doing now is addressing the body wide inflammation @Mojo333 referred to, and it’s been a tremendous help. There are many ways to do this, and they’re worth exploring as time and budget allow. My hip is getting worse, but I am getting better and that helps so much while I prepare for surgery.

I was thinking the same...walking badly, body wide inflammation...it seemed like all kinds of things were going on by the time I had my hips replaced.
Hope July comes quickly for you!

I agree, by the time I had my surgery I had so much pain everywhere including my back that I wasn't sure if a new hip would help or not. I had a lot of thigh and knee pain which had me worried about my knees going bad next. My problem was mainly from my horrible gait when walking. After surgery I've seen a major improvement with all of that. So happy to see you have a surgery date and that will be here before you know it!

I have heard multiple surgeons say that a frequent symptom of joint deterioration is exactly inner thigh pain, pain people often think is "groin" pain. That was my first symptom and this symptom continued. In fact, on this board I've read a number of people say that they were surprised that groin pain was a sign of hip arthritis.

When my symptoms emerged, I thought I simply had a tight thigh that needed stretching ... but the pain bounced around into the buttocks and yes sometimes on the outside as well. In the years before I had surgery, inner thigh tightness and pain was pretty much there all the time for me. And it's gone now.

Thank you for all of your comments!! I appreciate it so much, I think I am overthinking things and am getting myself worried about some sort of nerve damage that might slow down my recovery. And of course, since I've got old back injuries I can't help but worry that it's coming from my old fractures- L1-L2. But when I test my back and do range of motion exercises, it seems fine. @Ptarmigan I actually have a tens unit! Thank you for reminding me of that. @Jaycey, Tylenol does help while I'm working, the spasms tend to be the real culprit and they mainly happen at night. :yikes: I'm just so relieved that some of you have experienced the same thing!
Re: inflammation- I'm working that, too. Have been eating much more organically and less carbs, etc.

Thanks for helping to ease my mind.

@CricketHip very gentle stretches might ease the spasms. Heat or ice - everyone is different. Hang in there - this is the worst part of the journey.

@Jaycey You are correct in that it needs to be gentle stretches. I've tried deeper stretching because it felt good but not for long! So, I took some of my massage cream that I used on people who have neuropathy or muscle spasming and worked on my thigh last night. It's been manageable for months but recently not so much. I found a good sized trigger point with satellite points around it and did some trigger point therapy. I think it may feel better! Not perfect, but some improvement. Well, like now it doesn't feel like it's going to seize up every few minutes. Now that I know others have felt pain in this area of the thigh I don't feel as concerned. We are going away for a few days and I hope to be able to handle at least a conservative amount of walking (Jersey Shore). I'm sure being off work will help, too.

@CricketHip Sorry this is causing you stress....have you tried gentle, gentle tens machine yet? The best thing for you is absolutely getting away for a bit and not having the pressure to have to work...if you hurt a little no big deal, no one is waiting to be cared for.....I think stress is our worst symptom, don't you? Feel better soon, July 2 will be here before you know it! oxo

@Bfam85 So agree with you about stress! When I feel the stress rising the pain shoots up!!

@Bfam85 I just found my tens unit and will try it tonight. :yes!:
I was too tired to dig around looking for it last night, I’m bad for packing things away neatly and then never finding them again!
We really do need some time away. Getting my hubby through heart surgery and all else that went with it, was tough!! I think that was the final straw for the right hip. I was doing all of the heavy lifting and household things like moving snow and ice and lifting bags of rock salt. Ugh!
But it’s all good and now he’s almost back to normal and now we can enjoy some R and R.

Hello @CricketHip… :wave: Checking in to see how you are doing this beautiful day... I trust your getting out of town helped you body & soul. I am sure that you gave everything for when your hubby was going through his surgery and thankfully your faithful hip held up, until now. Just think, you will be on the other side very, very soon my dear friend!!!

@Bfam85 hello!! I held up pretty well. :yes!: There was one long day on my feet that wasn't pretty, but it was a much needed break overall!! How about you? I will mosey on over to your thread and see how you are holding up.. I literally had no time for reading on my phone while away-- I think that was good thing, right? But now I shall catch up! :loveshwr:

I was hoping it was only because you were enjoying yourself! So happy to see you already have a buddy :goodpost:

@Bfam85- yes, I had a wonderful week away. yesterday was the first day back in the office.. I wish I could figure out how to return without the backlog.. but it was fine. I am still relaxed and so happy to have had some time off! In fact, we are hoping to get away for a few more days before the surgery date. :flwrysmile:

@julesglass Hello! You got your date! and Welcome to the July Surgery vigil. At first, it felt like it was so far away- now we are already mid May and I think it will approach quickly. How are you holding up? I will look for your thread and catch up with your journey. :yes: I am "enjoying" some nerve jolts in the hip this morning. Good times.. :gaah: I noticed earlier that we are mirror images with our hips.. you had the right one done first, I had my left one done first. I remember the Dr saying that a right THR means a longer wait to drive, post op.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie