THR Pain Near Scar

Cherey

Country
United States United States
In 2013 I had a THR (left) with what I have learned is a lateral approach thought it was going to anterior/medial where no muscle is cut. I always had some pain over where the incision when I walked long distances. In 2015 I had a arthroscopy on the opposite knee (right). While recovering from the surgery while on a Nordic Track I felt a sudden pain near the incision and stopped. In 2016 I had a TKR. While preparing for the TKR I saw a regenerative medicine doctor who performed an ultrasound of the area of the hip and found the scar and also a tear where the muscle inserts on the wing of the ilium. I am going to have to have a revision of the TKR and am wondering if anyone has ever had the issue that I am having with the hip?

The incision involving the hip. The muscle cut was obvious on ultrasound. I have conferred with several surgeons and they agreed that the approach that was taken does involve cutting the muscle and surgical notes confirm it.

But that is not concerning me but rather the concern is whether others have experienced and what if anything was done to eliminated the pain I have met one other who had the same approach and he confirmed that he does as well but not to the extent I

Last edited by a moderator:
@Krista had a gluteal tear, which was eventually repaired. She is doing very well. She will be along to comment when she see the tag.

Are you asking if others have had the ripping pain in general around the incision, or referring to what you have said is an actual tear seen on the ultrasound? Several of us have had searing pains around our incision when stretching, or taking a large step. Scar adhesions or nerves regenerating have been suggested by some for causes. Mine scared me when it first happened over a couple weeks, but it hasn't been a problem at all since. My approach was anterior. Sorry you are still feeling pain this far out from your surgery. Does your dr. have any suggestions?

I had mentioned it in the past to several doctors and have gotten no response and I do mean no response. Rather a change in subject for the response. I am headed to Hospital for Special Surgery in NY about a TKR which I have likely had an allergic reaction to and will likely have to have a revision after having had the TKR for 2 1/2 years. Getting tired of the pain

Good Morning, Cherey
I wish you the best when meeting with the OS at the HSS.
Let us know how it goes. We'd love to support you along the way.
A great end of the week to you. :)
@Cherey

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016
Recent bookmarks