pain meds

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not very good with things you rub on the body, are you Doug.. just sayin..

I have a proven track record..........that you're right. But then I was set up with that apricot rub. I don't mess with her stuff now.

Just please stay away from "rub a dub dub, 3 men in a tub."!

That arthiritis gel you talk about ,can you rub that over the incision after the incision has healed? I am past 7 wks post surgery. I get nausea from prescribed meds & tylonol dosen't help all that much.

Re: arthritis pain gels

How far along after your TKR did you use the arthritis gels, either voltaren or solareze? I called my surgeon's office & he was suppose to have told his secretary that I was not to use it. My family dr was to have approved using it. I had my TKR on March 5. I sure would be interested in what other surgeons have to say about this. I wonder what Josephine would have to say about this?

it all depends on how well your incision has healed. If the scar
is well formed then there is no reason not to use it. Perhaps your surgeon is not familiar with it. It was only approved by the FDA for osteoarthritis in this country last Fall.

Re: arthritis pain gels

Thank you for your reply,dw6928. At my last dr appt with the surgeon two wks ago & looking at my incision & bending my knee he said everything looked fine. I had assumed my incision was healed. So much for assuming things & not asking the question about my incision. I can see on my own it is healed. It looks great.I guess I will have to give him another call about it. You didn't mention as to how long after your TKR you used the gel. I assume when your incision was healed. Thank you so much, jb94102, for sending the web-site regarding the gel. It was very informative. I just appreciate this site soooo much & how everyone cares for one another.

it all depends on how well your incision has healed. If the scar is well formed then there is no reason not to use it. Perhaps your surgeon is not familiar with it. It was only approved by the FDA for osteoarthritis in this country last Fall.

That would be correct. I also agree with the conclusion about the surgeon.

I am 7 weeks on my second knee, problem for me is that since I had the first one done in January and then right into this one, my dr told me that he feels I built up a resistance to the pain meds, so I felt that I did not get the relief like I did the first time.
Second problem is this knee was just more painful.
So I tried to stop taking the vicadin, taking it farther apart, like 8 hours or so, wow did I get the flu like symptoms, it was over a week, I was really sick and felt awful. At my check up my doctor told me to stop it and listen to him. So I took his advice and I feel better, so much better. In stead of trying to reduce so fast, I cut back the dose, so instead of taking 2 every 4 hours, I went to 1 every 4 hours, then 1 every 5 hours, then 1 every six hours, so on and so forth. It made all the difference, I feel so much better in that aspect. But even at 7 weeks my dr doesn't see anything wrong with still using pain meds, he expects it, especially to complete PT.

I am interested in this gel too, I am going to check this out. Very interesting.
Thanks for this tip. I never heard of it and I wouldn't have thought to try it since the old knees are gone. This may be the help I need.
Thanks so much!
Kathy

Kath, it does sound like you are back on track with your pain meds and your doctor is providing good information for you. I hope things continue to improve for you. I'll quote Josephine now and say that sometimes it just takes some time and we have to have patience. You have been through a lot with both knees being done. It will get better!!! ((((HUGS))))) to you!!

Sorry havent been on last few days doc cut me off my pain meds let me say this ,it has been a hrrible experience im having real bad with drawls from the percocets ,and well have been hurting to ,tylenol does nothing !!! night time has been the worst very very hard to sleep .If anyone has any advice im sure open for some its been 4 days since i had anyim so hoping this will end . JIM

Oh, Jim. I know what you are going through as I was very sick when I stopped my prescription pain meds cold turkey. In my case, things started improving on Day 5, so I'm hoping that will occur for you too. It is a slow improvement, but once it starts it is steady. You will know when you've turned that corner. I kept lots of ice on my knee to keep pain and swelling down there. You might see if your doctor would allow you to take an anti-inflammant like Celebrex for a while for knee swelling and pain. That worked for me. You don't have to be on it forever....just until you get over the withdrawal. After that, I switched to Aleve for any knee pain that I get. My heart goes out to you....this is tough. But it does get better.

He didn't switch you to something else down the Drug ladder? Like Jamie said, at this point you are probably almost ready to feel better.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.... hang in there Jim....

Jim, he cut you off Percs cold turkey? That is inhumane, I am doing it gradually and it is hard enough. I am down to 3/4 pill 6-7 hourly. I guess I am just a weak person, I get almost suicidal sometimes when I go too long.My hubby wouldn't be able to take the withdrawal symptons either if that happened to me. LOL He is so understanding, when I start crying for no reason he asks if I need my next pill. That being just one of the symptons of course.

I hope you get through this, but if it gets too bad I would call your doc and suggest he lets you do it more gradually. I got off them once before after I broke my wrist badly and I will do it again. I never like taking medication for anything usually. Have trouble swallowing them for one thing!!

Good luck to you. I will be thinking of you and know exactly what you are going through right now. Let us know how you are doing OK? (((((HUGS)))))))) Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties