TKR Pain Med Tolerance

chopperman1205

Country
United States United States
I had rt TKR 2 years ago and had pain problems that resulted in 2 years of hydrocodone, percocet...I'm very frightened because my other knee is due for replacement 6/17 and I KNOW I now have a high-tolerance to these meds...Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how was it dealt with by the docs? I'm afraid because even 10-15 mg percocet doesn't help at times and I haven't even had the procedure yet. Thank you.

This is something you need to discuss with your doctor. There's no way we could advise about your situation. There are alternative methods of pain relief. Ice and elevation do a lot to help in that area. Be sure and read our Pain Management section you can click on, on the dark blue bar.

Did you ever seek a second opinion about your knee pain?

Would you please give us the exact date of your first knee replacement? I will add it to your signature for you.

While this is a situation you should discuss with your surgeon as soon as possible, there is something you need to remember. Arthritic pain and post op pain are two totally different animals. While the heavy duty narcotics didn't work as well with your previous pain, they may be just fine once your other knee is replaced. Everyone reacts differently to pain and medications to help keep it at bay. And even the same person can have different reactions at different points in time. The discussion with your surgeon should ease your mind that he has several options in mind to take care of whatever you face after surgery.

I’ve been on narcotics for over 20 years now due to chronic pain. So now, no other Doctor can give me meds. Had a meniscus tear that was pretty bad and they went in and cleaned it out. I know it’s nothing like all of you have gone through with KR but it still hurts. So...the narcotics Im on don’t touch the pain, guess Im To used to it. My Pain Mangement Doc said he couldn’t give me anything else, and I would just have to deal with it. So..Lots of ice and elevation and of course rest. There are stronger meds your doctor could give you but you need to sit down and have a talk with him. Good luck...I know it sucks, but I guess we can get through anything.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks