Lounge Doctor

Hip Arthroscopy Pain Med Before Surgery

Addiegrace

Country
United States United States
Is the use of dilaudid pain medication bad to use before my hip replacement? I take 2mg/ 1-2/Day. Should I stop taking it now? My Hip Replacement is not scheduled but should be by June depending on schedule of surgeon.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Addiegrace Welcome to BoneSmart! You need to ask your surgeon about your medication. Every surgeon has different protocols.

In any case it will be more like a matter of days off any meds, not months.

Dmcfad2

graduate
Country
I am taking oxycodone 10mg 4x a day. I have been taking them since December and had the same concern. My surgeon said it would be nice if I could quit before surgery, but if I’m in a lot of pain, it’s not a big deal to keep taking them. I am in severe pain and can’t walk without a walker, so I have decided I’m just going to keep taking them until surgery. I’ve tried going without and it just hurts so much, I can’t even function.

OP
OP
A

Addiegrace

Country
Debbie thanks, I'm in a lot of pain and really not taking a heavy dose of diladid. One surgeon said it would be good if I stop taking it before the surgery to have a better outcome. I'm really not sure what that means.
my PCP told me it wa son to take because I'm in so much pain.
I am seeing another surgeon April !2th so I will let y'all know what he says about it. H.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
One surgeon said it would be good if I stop taking it before the surgery to have a better outcome.
It's because you build up a tolerance for the medication meaning it may be more difficult to control your pain post op.

Let us know how your appointment goes on the 12th.

OP
OP
A

Addiegrace

Country
Thank you Jaycey,
That makes sense then. I will definitely let you know.
Thanks

DEL2021Apr-18

I too was on 40mg a day of Oxy for a few months and they asked me to try and cut it to 20mg but they did not force it and I agreed to try. I was reluctant and sure it would not work but 40 of Oxy a day is not a small dose of narcotic. I am not saying you do not need it, just saying that is on the larger size. I found with a slow taper I was able to cut it to 20mg over a few months time and now I would actually say my pain is as well controlled on 20mg as it was on 40mg because of the hyperalgesia. I was pretty surprised, but it is true once my body got use to less which really did not take that long. Now when I was tapering I had a bit more pain but I made it through and it was not too hard. I did it because I was scared to death of horrific pain in the days after my surgery.

I was really happy to see a lot of the links that are routinely provided on this forum to people when it comes to the opioid issue and pain are very on point in my opinion.

Dmcfad2

graduate
Country
I was taking 40 mg of oxycondone a day for 5 months. I decided to quit before my surgery to make after surgical pain easier to control. I quit 3 days ago. I was worried about withdrawals, but I really haven’t experienced any, except for a little stomach upset and, of course, my pain is not being controlled as well as before. But, my surgery is in 11 days, so I’m going to tough it out.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Dmcfad2 It's always best to taper off these medications. Just stopping can cause all kinds of symptoms. But if you are OK, I hope it continues. Very tough to have no pain control pre-op. Hang in there.

Dmcfad2

graduate
Country
@Jaycey i actually feel pretty good, so I’m not concerned. If I start to feel bad, I still have some pain medication, but I really am having no problem, thank God. My pain actually feels a bit better today. Go figure.

New

Active Antibacterial
STEPS Challenge

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jolaw
Recent bookmarks