Pain Managment Question

julie1968

Country
United States United States
I went to my pre Op today. Went great. I'm having the spinal nerve block with sedation. My doctor said the Anesthesia Dr will also put a tube in my upper leg for medication to help with pain. She said I wear it home and take it out in a couple days. Has anyone had this done? She said I will have a overnight stay from surgery.

They have become common. I didn't get one but most of my friends who get knee replacements have them for a day or two.

I had one---the doc called it the "pain ball". Just be careful to take the oral meds---you don't know for sure when that med will wear off. Mine wore off after a day and I was in a lot of pain since i had stupidly refused the oral meds, since I was not in pain!!! I thought i had another day to take them.

@julie1968

I had one for both knees - they worked well.

I’ll second @skigirl and her advice to take oral pain meds too. The pain ball didn’t alleviate all pain, but it obviously helped as I could definitely tell when it was out of juice.

@ebungalow and @skigirl thanks for the info. My Dr was like it works great glad you too told me to also take the other meds. Don't want the pain to hit me hard all of a sudden.

Yeah, don't be a dummy like me and say---Oh, I have no pain!! I think I thought i was a miracle!! Then, when it wore off, I was writhing in pain. all was avoided the second time around, I got oral pain meds every four hours--- I could tell when the pain ball wore off, but not like before!! Also, I got oxycontin for 10 days and that made a big difference. The nurse called it, the big guns! You could ask your doc if it could be available if you needed it for the first week or so.

Also, if the nurses don't bring your pain meds every four hours or so, be sure to set your alarm and ask for them. It takes a day or two for them to build up.

@skigirl Thank you so much. I will make sure to take the meds on time. I'm staying overnight at hospital but will sat my alarm to make sure at home I take the meds the first week or so

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts