• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Pain management: topical pain relief

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
There are NSAID gels that can be applied directly to joints to relieve pain - the one I use is called Ibuleve but there are others. But remember that you shouldn't use the gel and take pills but if you do, factor the ibuprofen in the gel to your daily intake. Also worth remembering, if you have a stomach sensitivity to NSAIDs, using the gels will affect your stomach also though not quite as badly.

Also, be sure that any surgical wound is completely healed before using this or any gel or cream near the wound. It's a good idea to let your surgeon and/or GP know that you're regularly using the topical treatment also.

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_topicaioi.jpg

boots.com

referee54

omega
Country
United States United States
There is an interesting and effective cream called Capsaicin, that comes from the hottest peppers on earth. My wife uses it - it does have some anti-inflammatory properties. You do not use it like you would use a traditional analgesic cream---this just takes a very little bit to be rubbed into the area.

I have used it before my BTKR and it works with repeated use.

It is not an NSAID, but rather, it relies on the properties of the capsicum peppers to be effective.

Here is a link about it:
http://www.dermnetnz.org/treatments/capsaicin.html

Top Bottom