Pain is weird

J-nice

Country
United States United States
Before my first THR the pain was classic symptoms for OA of the hip. Now my other hip definitely was starting to hurt (no range of motion) but the radiating pain in hamstrings and inner knees is bad (especially sitting!). As I said in an earlier post, xray definitely showed lost cartilage and bone spurs.

But what is weird, in the last week the hip pain is very minor. Almost nonexistent but leg pain is just as strong (in both legs). Does that make sense to anyone?

It makes perfect sense to me. Joint pain can be transferred in all sorts of ways when a hip goes bad. Your body is out of alignment and that can transfer pain all over the place. Or...some people with horrible hips have very little pain at all before surgery. But the truth is in the xray. When the cartilage is gone, it isn't coming back and eventually you will have plenty of pain. So if that's what's going on with your hip, you're wise to just get it done and move on.

My left hip was diagnosed as lower back issues for years. Pain can radiate everywhere when you are trying to stay off a bad hip.

Definitely... I had back, hip, knee, foot & ankle pain before my 2nd THR 5 weeks ago..
The song goes “The thigh bones connected to the hip bone, the hip bones connected to the knee bone... etc .. how right is that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is it the second time around?

Funny you should ask, I've spent hours and hours on the Internet trying to figure out why I'm in so much pain when my x-ray looked good with only small labrum tear and some miner arthritis and spurs. My main pain is smack in the middle of my front upper thigh where it attaches to the torso, underwear crease. It burns, it pulls. When laying flat in bed, I can't lift my leg up like a leg lift without excruciating pain and it feels like a big cramp that goes all the way up to the top of the leg. But this pain does not seem to coincide with the MRI or x-ray. EMG good. There is nothing else left to test, so I'm having the implant done. It's scary when you can't put your finger on it like bone on bone or something definite. But like the ladies say here, pain can be everywhere in the leg. I just hope I don't wake up in recovery and 6 weeks of PT and OOPS, gee the pain is still in the same place, so now what???:what: And it's not an error by my OS, he's done all he can do to nail it down and when I came into my appointment Thursday using a crutch, he said enough is enough, you need to have the surgery. So why am I still so apprehensive??? Well at least I'll have a new hip. I understand that you are looking for clues and reasons.....

Sounds like hip pain to me. my present rotten hip feels nothing like the one I had from 2008 to 2011 but in both cases I experienced pain in places other than the hip itself. Orthopaedic Surgeons are not in the habit of replacing joints on a whim.

Hi @J-nice
I experienced a lot of back pain also. Even episodes of my back going out....for days.
Thankfully it hasn't happened a single time since my THR. The pain I had moved around. Usually on the side, or groin but toward the end it ran down the front of my leg all the way to my knee. Some days, there was no pain. Only upon standing. Getting out of my vehicle was the worst. I had to lift my leg up, palm flat on the back of my thigh so I could lower my leg slowly to avoid the stabbing pain I'd get each time. But not any more! :happydance:
Relief is on the way for you. Wishing you comfort as you wait out these final weeks.
You'll be a new woman! :yes!:

It’s been fantastic the 2nd time around... better than the first....
very little pain at all... just stiffness!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pain for me is quite different in both hips--right hip ached in the front groin area, and it was quite painful to walk more than a block or so. But sitting was pretty comfortable and, boy, I did a lot of that! This time around, with the other hip acting up, the pain is all in my backside, traveling down to mid-thigh. Walking isn't that bad, but sitting causes problems, especially soft, cushy chairs. It is interesting that pain manifests itself so different for all of us, and for those with two bum hips, there are significant differences between in the pain in each hip. But, at the end of the day, @J-nice, it doesn't really matter--you've got a deteriorating hip, it's going to get replace and then, despite the slow slog of recovery, you're going to be feeling good--no hip pain--before you know it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom