Lounge Doctor

TKR Pain in posterior upper thigh when walking

GolferDede

Country
United States United States
I'm 9 weeks into my recovery from rt. TKR. When I walk I have severe pain in upper posterior thigh. Most of you who have hamstring pain seem to have it closer to knee. I was very knock kneed so I think now that my leg is straight I am using muscles differently than before and causing this problem. My PT has done everything to try and help, but nothing has worked. I don't think it's Piriformis but it might be. Anyone else dealing with this?

MerlinWizard

Country
Hi GolferDede!

I had some upper thigh pains in both legs, some in the glutes. But they have mostly diminished here in week 16. I was bow legged before surgery.

My mother in law and mother had both knees replaced over the years and I know it was difficult walking with one good and one bad leg or even one surgical leg and one that was already recovered.

Our gait is affected by so many things. If you aren't sure about it, by all means contact your surgeon and even your GP. They would be the experts.

When a surgeon straightens the legs out, I think we all experience discomfort in other areas. I am finding for example that my feet are very angry at me if I am on them too long. I bought new shoes for post surgery and yesterday I wore an old pair. WOW! My feet were really mad at me! I am also noticing some lower back pain when I do to much which leads me to believe I am using it differently than I had the rest of my life. Nothing of concern for me anyway, but those odd aches and pains can be hard to figure out without professional help.

Merlin

Jockette

Country
My PT has done everything to try and help, but nothing has worked.
Hi and Welcome to Bonesmart.

There are some aspects of this recovery that only time will heal. Your PT has done the best he/she could, and there isn’t always an exercise or modality that will fix every issue, other than time to heal.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Sisterpat

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome Golfer and congratulations on your new knee! I suspect you will experience lots of different pains in lots of different places for quite a while. Follow BoneSmart guidelines, rest, elevate, ice and medicate. Don’t push yourself nor let anyone else push you. Time is your friend.

Rollem1

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm 9 weeks into my recovery from rt. TKR. When I walk I have severe pain in upper posterior thigh. Most of you who have hamstring pain seem to have it closer to knee. I was very knock kneed so I think now that my leg is straight I am using muscles differently than before and causing this problem. My PT has done everything to try and help, but nothing has worked. I don't think it's Piriformis but it might be. Anyone else dealing with this?
Yes !!!! I had this !!
so what helped me was 3 things - and all based about a deeper stretch of The hamstrings

1 - sat on a firm area legs outfraught -
Touch toes for 15 seconds then release - shake the knee if you need to then repeat - hold for longer if you can and you will feel the stretch from behind knee all the way up the buttock - as you get more subtle you can start to lower head towards knee to get a deeper stretch

2 place the foot of affected leg on a chair whilst standing and bend forward towards the raised knee - same as above

3 lay on your back on the floor and place a tennis ball on the affected area then gently roll over the ball with buttock -the relief is immense

good luck xxx

OP
OP
G

GolferDede

Country
Thanks so much. I'm already doing the stretches you suggested.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kanee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom