• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Pain following hip replacement surgery

Suzeysu

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I am new to the group and look forward to chatting with you all.
I had right hip, posterior surgery, 8 weeks ago in the UK. I have strength in the leg and walking without a limp, but I have pain in the buttock, around the hip and into the groin area. When I get out of bed on a morning it aches all across the top of both buttocks (lower back) and I limp until I have walked for a while. The buttock/hip pain is getting me down as I feel that I have swopped one type of pain for another. I realise it is early days and the inside of my hip needs to heal and maybe I am being impatient, but have two friends who have had the same surgery and not had the pain I have. Have any of you suffered with this following surgery? ...thank you x

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:welome:To the recovery side of Bonesmart!
Aches and pains are common at this stage, especially as you start to increase your walking and activities.
I will leave you some articles to read that may help you with your recovery:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I think each of us heals at a different rate so please dont compare yourself with your friends.
Your hip surgery may have involved a different approach or was more difficult.
Be sure to read the activity progression article left above, I wonder if maybe you are doing too much activities, too soon?
Glad you joined us!!:yay:
Hopefully this forum will ease some of your worries.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Suzeysu Welcome to BoneSmart! What is your activity level now? Are you doing any PT? Are you icing and elevating that op leg?

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Suzeysu - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing exactly when you had the surgery will help us to advise you appropriately. Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Godzilla1964

Country
Have any of you suffered with this following surgery? ...thank you x
I had the exact same thing (Posterior THR). I'm at week 5 right now. Once my selling went way down (week 3) I started getting what I believe is called on the forum as the "stagger step". After siting for a while I'll get up (weight bearing) and limp for 5 or 6 steps until it works itself out. Pain in the buttock, around the hip and into the groin area. Worse after getting out of bed in the morning till I work it out. Other than that I have no pain. Sitting no pain, exercise no pain, etc., just the intial weight bearing on the leg. I realize it just going to take time. The mental battle is the hardest I quickly learned. Another couple of months I really expect it to all go away.

So hang in there. I have the exact same thing hitting me right now. Time and patience, two things I'm not good at.

Last edited:

Eman85

post-grad
Country
I have butt pain down my right leg had similar pain with my left. Plenty of stiffness after sitting. Yes, you traded pains but what you have now is muscle pain that will fade over time. Realistic recovery time is 3 mos functional 1 year+ for full.

Argee

Country
Hi. I Had THR in Scotland on 6th Jan. I have pain in my buttock when using the toilet seat and have to put weight on my good side. there is no pain on sitting anywhere else so I’m hoping this will go away in time. I think I may have been doing things too quickly and without thinking , such as bending and twisting and sitting on seats that are too low. I tried to roll over on to my side whilst in bed and I felt the most awful pain in my hip which made me cry out and freeze. It was really scary. I moved very slowly back on to my back and it went away. I’m now terrified to try that again. Have you had any moments like that?

OP
OP
S

Suzeysu

Country
Thank you all so much for your kind replies and information. I am currently 8 weeks post op, posterior ...op date 29 November. Am in the UK and don’t get any PT ...had a booklet from the hospital with exercises in and I have been following that. Also, doing as much walking as possible. Sorry that I didn’t post to each of you individually, couldn't work out how to do that x

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Ice is a great relief for your muscles and no matter how far along you are it helps. Even the home exercises can cause soreness as the muscles were pretty traumatized. As far as friends that didn't have pain I think many have memory blocks about it. If you read posts on here you'll see that you are part of the majority.

OP
OP
S

Suzeysu

Country
Thanks Eman, yes am icing regularly and it does help x

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads