TKR Pain elsewhere other than knee.

denn

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I couldn't find where my last post went.
I underwent a total knee replacement in Feb 2018. I am also on the list for my left knee to be replaced. Covid 19 at the moment is delaying any further consultations. In the meantime I have been told to take Neproxim and paracetemol regularly.
I have been taking these religiously since I was told to do so, they don't give me any relief what so ever. I do need to lose weight as I have piled on weight during lockdown. I have done certain exercises but I don't have anything similar they I use at the Gym. I was told to walk, but I'm struggling to even walk 100 metres without discomfort. Not only have I knee pain, I seem to have developed a pain on the top of my foot which is giving me a huge amount of pain. I don't know if this is related to the knee. If I do walk more than pain allows I also get such a pain behind my knee which hurts like mad when I bend my leg. I'm not sure what else I can do or if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Denn.

I couldn't find where my last post went.
Here is an article about finding your posts and threads you start:

Which knee is causing this current pain, the already replaced knee, or the one that still needs it?

If it’s the one that still needs to be replaced, then I’m not surprised that the medications you are taking aren’t helping. There really isn’t much you can do for bone in bone pain, other than replace the joint.

I don’t know if your foot pain is directly related to the knee, it could be. It could also just be another issue. Last year I had a bout with plantar fasciitis, which was very painful.

What I do when something hurts a lot is to treat it gently and not push it to do things that make it hurt more. Exercise is good for us, but not if it’s causing a lot of pain, at least in my opinion. I made a few simple changes and rested my foot a lot, during my plantar fasciitis, and it got better in a couple of months.

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

My right knee was replaced in Feb 2018 and that hasn't give me any problems. It's my left knee that needs replacing that is causing all the problems.
I have tried everything possible, knee braces, tablets and creams but as you say, only a TKR will sort out the pain.
I will have to wait till I can return to the Gym, I had a routine that kept my weight in check but, since Covid 19 I have put on a bit of weight that needs to be lost.
During lockdown I did receive a call from my Surgeon explaining that no operations would be taking place until it's gone. I am on the list but this depends on my weight. This surgeon is a stickler for weight.
As stated in my initial post, my instep is very painful when moving around. I have managed my knee pain quite well, but I could do without this addition when walking.

Kind regards Denn.

It's possible that you sore knee is also responsible for your foot pain. I expect you're walking a bit unnaturally at the moment, as you try to keep weight off your bad knee and that may be affecting the angle of your foot.

If your GP surgery is open, ask him/her to look at your foot. At the same time, ask for some help in modifying your diet, to help you lose a bit of weight without upsetting the balance of your diabetes.
It's important that you do lose that weight, as there's no way you want your surgery denied, once operating starts up again.

If your GP isn't doing face-to-face consultation, can you have a phone consultation? You need help with losing that weight safely, as nothing is going to cure your knee (and possibly foot) pain, apart from having your knee replaced.

Thank you for your reply.
I must admit, I put on quite a bit of weight during lockdown but I'm now trying to rectify this by eating less and properly. The Gym has now reopened and I'm back in the swing of things more now than before. I do expect to lose weight which can only be in my favour.
During lockdown I was able to walk at least a mile but slowly now, I struggle to walk around a supermarket. My GP is only seeing face to face for emergencies only. I have been given pain killers but they don't do anything. As you said, the only cure is TKR. Only myself can make this difference and I'm more determined than ever to see this through.

Hello, I haven't been active on here for a while and I hope I'm posting in the correct thread.

I received a call from the surgeon this morning as he requested in a letter sent out in October.
He explained that surgery could be a while away because of C19 and stressed the importance of losing weight. Again, he expressed his concerns regarding weight and heart attacks during surgery, he also emphasised about amputation risks, again this has frightened me.
I also had an X ray around March last year on my left hip which did show signs of Osteo. I must admit, there are times when It has given me a lot of discomfort. The Surgeon picked up on this and told me that I would need to undergo another X ray sometime in the New Year to see how worse this currently is. He mentioned, if my Hip has gone worse he will probably will need to do the Hip before my left knee.
All this has again left me down in the dumps, he's a stickler for weight and dieting which I do find difficult.
When I venture out for a walk i struggle badly after the first two hundred meters and after that the pain in my knee both front and back causes me to keep stopping. All I want is quality of life for which I'll probably be waiting another year before my left knee is sorted. Kind regards Dennis

Can you see a different surgeon? This one doesn’t seem to be a good fit for you.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. He is a stickler but also a good surgeon. I suppose what he said was a kick up the bum. I have relaxed myself over the past months and put on quite a bit of weight. The Surgeon mentioned when I underwent TKR in Feb of 2018 my weight was 102 kg, I'm currently at 112kg. He said It was risky last time but, to undergo any op whilst at the current weight could lead to complications.
I have come this far but, feel if I asked for another surgeon it could jeopardize my entire chance to enjoy a walk with my wife.

He certainly doesn’t have a very encouraging nature. I understand the issues of finding another surgeon. I do know that not all surgeons put such emphasis on a weight and not all talk about amputation. The mention of amputation would send me looking for someone else, but maybe that’s easier in the US.

Again, he expressed his concerns regarding weight and heart attacks during surgery, he also emphasised about amputation risks, again this has frightened me.
The mention of amputation would send me looking for someone else,
Your surgeon has a legal obligation to tell you about the possible complications of surgery.
Just because he mentions these complications doesn't mean that they are going to happen. They are possibilities, not probabilities, and some are more likely to happen than others are.

Amputation is strictly a surgery of last resort, done only when all else has failed. Although potentially possible, it's extremely unlikely to happen.

I suspect your surgeon stressed it, to try and make you more determined to lose weight.

@denn,
I haven't been very active recently, so I just saw your posts. I understand your pain.

I had a left total hip replacement in 2018. The left knee had given me some issues a couple of years earlier but a bit of PT and walking got it resolved. The surgery aggravated that somewhat and the knee continued to get worse. Cartilage was gone.

I was scheduled for surgery in the fall of 2019 but a nasty bout of shingles delayed that. I finally stabilized and rescheduled for January of 2020. As I was in the surgeon's office for preop - my husband was in a near head-on auto accident. Then the pandemic shut down.

By June I had developed pain in my upper leg and back. My surgeon along with others had been put on furlough. I saw a different doctor and he said it wasn't my hip and suggested PT. The PT quickly diagnosed it as gait issues from the knee. I saw him regularly and he helped keep me patched together and able to get around until surgery became available in August.

Because I had already done all the work, they got me in quickly. Now at 3 months post-op, the sciatica is under control and the knee is doing great. I'm walking 2 miles a day and tracking steps between 6500 - 8000 per day. There is hope.

I know the UK is undergoing some lockdowns - my husband's family still lives there. But maybe you can access some PT? I think it might help. Check out their ratings. Not all are equal. Mine has been amazing and it's not all about strengthening. It's about being aware of movement.

I did use a set of homemade walking sticks when I walked before surgery and for a couple of months+ after. Canes don't do the same job. A pair of walking sticks made a huge difference. All you need is 2 four foot long pieces of 3/4 inch dowelling and a couple of rubber tips. My husband added motorcycle handlebar grips on the top. :)

Thinking of you and hoping for a resolution soon.

Last edited:
First of all thank you for the replies.
I'm sorry to hear of your plight regarding surgery. You mentioned PT, I visit the Gym four times per week but lockdown from March to July prevented me from participating.

It was during that period when I put on the weight, those long summer evenings were easy to enjoy a beer or wine. I began again in July and reached a good level of fitness but, another months lockdown has been hard.
I struggle to walk more than two hundred meters without much discomfort and because of my unstableness my hip has been giving me a lot of aggravation. I'm sure if I had my knee done I wouldn't have half the problems with the hip as I currently do.
I shall wait until I get the call, this could be anytime during the next coming year, Covid pending.
Denn.

It sure is an added challenge with being home. You might try some arthritis specific exercises. There are arthritis organizations and web sites that often show more gentle exercises or even chair exercises.

I'm trying to do some exercises at home but it's a challenge to be consistent. It's definitely a "do as I say, not as I do" situation.

Hello again.
I've not been on here for a while but, I need to let you all know I saw the Surgeon last week.
I received a letter explaining that he needed to see me face to face. I did undergo more Xrays prior meeting him.
He mentioned my hip was a cause for concern but I told him it didn't bother me. He couldn't understand why I wasn't getting problems from it. I was then placed on the scales and was told to go home and address everything I eat and drink. My weight was 109 kg which is 17st 2oz. He was quite stern with me and said not to contact him until I am down to 99kg 15st 8oz. I have been left devastated and demoralised.
Gym re-opens next week and I have contacted one of the trainers and explained to him that I need to lose weight. After explaining to him regarding my now disabilities, even he said it's going to be very hard to get weight off, especially at my age with limited mobility.
I don't eat many carbs nor pastry nor fries. Seems as if I'm gonna have to starve myself before I'll lose weight. Has anyone got any advice for me. PS. I struggle to walk and in constant pain when doing so. Pain killers don't work nor do creams and gels. HELP!!!

Hello Denn,
I remember you from when you had your right knee replaced, I hope you're pleased with that one.
Celle had some good advice about weight loss in a previous post:
If your GP surgery is open, ask him/her to look at your foot. At the same time, ask for some help in modifying your diet, to help you lose a bit of weight without upsetting the balance of your diabetes.
It's important that you do lose that weight, as there's no way you want your surgery denied, once operating starts up again.
Were you able to enlist your GPs help?

GP has only been available through an app. Maybe things will change sooner than later. I have asked via the app as to what I could do to enable me to walk, I was sent a link to a knee brace which I sent for. This served no purpose whatsoever. GP said to eat salads, I have eaten a salad three days per week. I really can't do much else.
My wife has been concerned telling me I don't eat enough, maybe she is correct. I have noticed that when I do take pain killers I get light headed and feel quite poorly.
I do my best to keep active but my disability prevents me from walking, this frustrates me as I'd love a good walk.

Denn, sending empathy from out here in Oregon! Here’s a different situation of someone completely dealing with a different cause of disability, but who is making progress... my husband used to walk 4-6 miles a day, for joy and exercise. Always had fabulous ideas after a good walk! Then, boom: leukemia hit! He beat it, but despite beating it, it beat him up! He had seizures, a stroke, lost most of his eyesight, etc., because of the strong chemo he had to take. But, he beat it. He’s still here! So, it has taken nearly 2 years, but I finally talked him into letting us get him one of the walkers with the bigger wheels, so he could take it “off-road” into wooded paths, trails, places like he loved to walk before. He’s getting stronger but by bit. Now he really can see that strengthening his body day by day, he really might once again be able to go in a long walk again...maybe not alone (he can’t see fer the dickens!), but once I get my new knee, we can get out again.

So, if walking is so painful, could you your GP write a prescription for a walker? Would it help you get walking with less pain? Would walking more help your weight loss? (I’m betting yes!)

Might this be an option? If you’re not willing to get a second opinion? Get some weight off by using a walker! Here, they are in thrift stores, Goodwill, St Vincent’s, the used goods stores...

it’s just a thought because it’s working for my husband, once he got over realizing he is disabled, but he can still do some things he loves, if he can swallow his pride and use a walker...

There is also a cool thing that someone invented called an Alinker which is a walking bike, a trike really.. the people who want to help help each other help raise money to buy them for each other, too!

A walker might be the answer to help you move more with less pain!

Hoping this might be an idea worth pursuing!

@denn It is nearly impossible to lose weight when you can't move around. Something many of our members use as a walking aid are hiking/walking poles. Get adjustable ones so you can fit them correctly. They should help you take some weight off that sore side and get moving a bit. Even if you can just manage walking around your garden or down the street and back.
I do take pain killers I get light headed and feel quite poorly.
This might be from not eating as you normally would. Please be careful about taking any NSAIDs (Naproxin, Ibuprofen) on an empty stomach.

GP said to eat salads, I have eaten a salad three days per week. I really can't do much else.
I think you need to eat salad every day for a while. Make sure you have some protein with it.
The salad vegetables have less carbohydrate (and fewer calories) in them than the root vegetables, such as potato.

My wife has been concerned telling me I don't eat enough, maybe she is correct.
I think you need your wife's support for losing weight. It's imperative that you do lose that weight, or you won't get the surgery you need so badly.

Can you explain to your wife that while you are inactive, you don't need to eat as much as when you're active?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom