TKR Pain elsewhere other than knee.

denn

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I couldn't find where my last post went.
I underwent a total knee replacement in Feb 2018. I am also on the list for my left knee to be replaced. Covid 19 at the moment is delaying any further consultations. In the meantime I have been told to take Neproxim and paracetemol regularly.
I have been taking these religiously since I was told to do so, they don't give me any relief what so ever. I do need to lose weight as I have piled on weight during lockdown. I have done certain exercises but I don't have anything similar they I use at the Gym. I was told to walk, but I'm struggling to even walk 100 metres without discomfort. Not only have I knee pain, I seem to have developed a pain on the top of my foot which is giving me a huge amount of pain. I don't know if this is related to the knee. If I do walk more than pain allows I also get such a pain behind my knee which hurts like mad when I bend my leg. I'm not sure what else I can do or if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Denn.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
I couldn't find where my last post went.
Here is an article about finding your posts and threads you start:

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Which knee is causing this current pain, the already replaced knee, or the one that still needs it?

If it’s the one that still needs to be replaced, then I’m not surprised that the medications you are taking aren’t helping. There really isn’t much you can do for bone in bone pain, other than replace the joint.

I don’t know if your foot pain is directly related to the knee, it could be. It could also just be another issue. Last year I had a bout with plantar fasciitis, which was very painful.

What I do when something hurts a lot is to treat it gently and not push it to do things that make it hurt more. Exercise is good for us, but not if it’s causing a lot of pain, at least in my opinion. I made a few simple changes and rested my foot a lot, during my plantar fasciitis, and it got better in a couple of months.

OP
OP
denn

denn

Country
Hi, and thanks for your reply.

My right knee was replaced in Feb 2018 and that hasn't give me any problems. It's my left knee that needs replacing that is causing all the problems.
I have tried everything possible, knee braces, tablets and creams but as you say, only a TKR will sort out the pain.
I will have to wait till I can return to the Gym, I had a routine that kept my weight in check but, since Covid 19 I have put on a bit of weight that needs to be lost.
During lockdown I did receive a call from my Surgeon explaining that no operations would be taking place until it's gone. I am on the list but this depends on my weight. This surgeon is a stickler for weight.
As stated in my initial post, my instep is very painful when moving around. I have managed my knee pain quite well, but I could do without this addition when walking.

Kind regards Denn.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
It's possible that you sore knee is also responsible for your foot pain. I expect you're walking a bit unnaturally at the moment, as you try to keep weight off your bad knee and that may be affecting the angle of your foot.

If your GP surgery is open, ask him/her to look at your foot. At the same time, ask for some help in modifying your diet, to help you lose a bit of weight without upsetting the balance of your diabetes.
It's important that you do lose that weight, as there's no way you want your surgery denied, once operating starts up again.

If your GP isn't doing face-to-face consultation, can you have a phone consultation? You need help with losing that weight safely, as nothing is going to cure your knee (and possibly foot) pain, apart from having your knee replaced.

OP
OP
denn

denn

Country
Thank you for your reply.
I must admit, I put on quite a bit of weight during lockdown but I'm now trying to rectify this by eating less and properly. The Gym has now reopened and I'm back in the swing of things more now than before. I do expect to lose weight which can only be in my favour.
During lockdown I was able to walk at least a mile but slowly now, I struggle to walk around a supermarket. My GP is only seeing face to face for emergencies only. I have been given pain killers but they don't do anything. As you said, the only cure is TKR. Only myself can make this difference and I'm more determined than ever to see this through.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mmpc123
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom