Arthroscopy Pain day after

Joser

Country
United States United States
Sorry, I should of put a title on my post. Had meniscus Arthroscopy yesterday and having lots of pain. My doctors told me to walk but it hurts the more I walk. I have read to just rest, ice and elevate. Is this only what I should be doing?
I realize I should of read all that’s here but recent found this Forum, for this I am sorry. Will try not to make many mistakes.
Thank you, Josie

OP
OP
J

Joser

Country
Im sorry, I guess I shouldn’t be here. This is a place for knee replacements and other replacement. I just had a Arthroscopy, nothing compared to what all of you have gone through. Again, Im sorry

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Joser - and :welome:

You're in the right place, so please don't apologise for being here.

This area is for people who have had knee surgery of any sort, not just knee replacements.
You're here because you need help and we're here to give you that help.

People tend to think of an arthroscopy as just being a minor surgery, but that's not always true. If it's just a "look-see" then it can be relatively minor, but if your surgeon has to do some work, as yours did, it can be more serious, and take longer to recover from.

Yes, rest, elevate and ice is what you should be doing, together with just a little walking. Don't try to walk too much yet. You need to gradually build up the time you spend walking, because the surgery has wounded your knee and it needs some time and gentle treatment, so it can heal.

Are you taking any medication to relieve pain? I hope your surgeon prescribed something, because you do need it.

I'm going to give you our recovery guidelines. Although they are aimed mostly at knee replacements,the advice for the early weeks is just as relevant for recovery from an arthroscopy.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

PS: Please will you confirm your surgery date and tell us which knee it was? Thank you. :flwrysmile:

Reactions: RLP
OP
OP
J

Joser

Country
I didn’t get pain meds because Ive been going to Pain Management for 20 years for other chronic pain. The meds. I take I guess I’m to use to them, they are not working on my knee.
Thank you so much for responding, I was trying to find someone to tell me this pain is normal. Thanks again

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Tylenol taken on a regular schedule is usually pretty good at keeping pain at bay, if you haven't already tried it.

The most effective way to take Tylenol is 2 x 500 mg tablets (Tylenol Extra Strength) 6-hourly, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective.

Check all other medications you're taking, to make sure there is no Tylenol/Acetaminophen/Paracetamol in them. If there is, scale back one or two of your regular doses, so you stay within that safe 24 hour limit of 4,000 mg.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Joser Are you icing and elevating? Ice your knee for 45-60 minutes several times per day. Ice will reduce the swelling that is causing this pain. Be sure and put a towel or cloth between the ice pack and your skin.

OP
OP
J

Joser

Country
Yes I’m icing but not as long as your saying, maybe about 20, 25 minutes. Today I can take my bandage off and can’t wait. It’s on tight and hurts the back of my knee. So As soon As I have coffee, off it comes. Lol They I intubated me and not sure why. Is that normal? Thanks everyone for the help.

OP
OP
J

Joser

Country
No, they put a tube down my throat. I will try to put ice on 40 minutes. Should I do this all day or 3 or 4 times a day? my Doctor was not very clear and they wouldn’t let my husband In so they could talk to him. They gave me a sheet of paper with stuff on it for before surgery. A little late!

Last edited:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Did you have general anaesthetic? If so that's why they used the tube.

45-60 minutes as many times in the day that you can.

OP
OP
J

Joser

Country
Yes, they did give me a General Anaesthetic. Thanks for the Information. Another thing they didn’t tell me. Not quit happy with this Doctor.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Unfortunately we see this quite often. I think some surgeons are just on "auto pilot" mode. They do this surgery every day, several times per day. And I think they just assume everyone knows what they need to know. Either that or someone on staff was supposed to review things with you and ran out of time.

Now you know why BoneSmart started!

Pumpkln

Country
@Joser
I've added your surgery date to your signature, please check the date for accuracy and let us know which knee.
Now that your bandage is off, try ice on the back of your knee, it should help with your pain.

sistersinhim

Country
Between my two knees, I've had 9 arthroscopic surgeries. I iced and elevated for hours at the time the first few weeks. I only walked a little at first. If it swelled and hurt, I did less walking around. If it didn't swell or hurt, I did a little bit more walking. I was divorced, so I had to take care of my own needs, so that was the only PT I had. Do as little as you can and ice and elevate as much as you can. You can not over ice if you have a thin cloth between you and the ice bags. Ice is a fantastic pain killer.

OP
OP
J

Joser

Country
It’s terrible you had no one to care for you after your surgery. I don’t know how you did it. I feel so bad for you and after 9 surgeries. You are one brave woman and wish I could have helped you. This is my third day and the pain seems worse, I couldn’t do this without my husband. I'm so sorry.

ginr

Country
I had a knee arthroscopy didn't realize that it was a big deal. I had a torn menicisus (sp) he repaired that. I thought I would get right back into life boy was I wrong. It took a month before my knee was happy with me. I wish I had found this site about icing and all the other tips. Would have made my recovery easier. I had a problem just lifting my leg for a step.

So I am extra glad I found this site before surgery, it has made this not wear so much on my mind.

OP
OP
J

Joser

Country
Sorry I haven’t been on for a while. Just wanted to let you know how things were going. I still have pain and pain going down the right side of my leg. I had quite a fall about 10 days ago, my whole left side of my body is bruised and ribs are hurting something terriable. I didn’t think I hit the side of my knee arthroscopy but it now hurts more then before. I did go to the hospital for x rays and CT scans. Nothing broken, thank God. So it’s now 7 weeks and still have pain. Could this be normal?
Hope everyone is doing well with the COVID-19 around.
Thanks for any responses

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
It could be normal to still have pain 7 weeks later. A lot depends on how much work your surgeon had to do during your arthroscopy.

if he/she just had a look-see, then you could expect a faster recovery, but it sounds as if your surgeon had to do quite a lot, so it will take you longer to recover.

sistersinhim

Country
Your fall probably jarred your knee and it's upset about it. Are you still icing and elevating? They should help with the pain.

OP
OP
J

Joser

Country
I’ve been iceing but not elavating. It’s seems pretty good in the morning but later in the day like now, 3:12 pm eastern time, it’s hurting pretty good. I pray I didn’t mess anything up. My surgeon says he did more then he expected to, but he is so hard to talk to I couldnt tell you what he did. Thank you for the help

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mmpc123
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom