Lounge Doctor

THR Pain before surgery

HipGal2021

Country
United States United States
I’m not scheduled for hip surgery yet. I want the anterior approach surgery but I have to lose 50lbs before I can get the surgery.
Question? How do I cope with the level 4 of hip pain before my surgery? I was told to walk walk walk and move as much as possible. I’m in tears after a walk through Walmart. I’m only taking Advil or Tylenol, neither one even touches it. Help!!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hello and thanks for joining us. I’m really sorry you’re struggling with pain. Please try not to focus on the surgical approach you prefer, but instead the reputation of the surgeon you choose. Speaking of surgeons, would you be willing to consider a second opinion, or even third to find someone who won‘t require you to lose fifty pounds before scheduling surgery. It’s pretty difficult to lose weight (short of starving yourself = unhealthy) when you can’t even walk through a store comfortably. If the OTC meds aren’t helping consider speaking with your Primary Care Physician. Also try icing, heat, use an assistive device or whatever else helps alleviate the pain until you find a surgeon that is able to help you gain relief through joint replacement. I’ll leave some pre-op reading for you.
Stay in touch, we’re here for support.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

@HipGal2021

58hippain

Country
I agree with the above comments. I would maybe look for a surgeon who prefers another approach. Telling a 66 year old patient in that much pain to lose that much weight before their pain can be fixed is just bad advice. Prior to my first surgery walking small distances was very difficult if not impossible. If you have bone on bone joint walking will not decrease your pain level, it will most likely do the opposite. Best of luck to you find another OS.

PolarIce

Country
Canada Canada
How are you supposed to lose weight if you can't be physical? That is terrible patient care. First off I would consider asking your family doctor to prescribe you medication to help you stay more comfortable until you can get treatment, second I would find another surgeon to get another opinion.

Hip4life

graduate
Country
I understand intellectually why doctors advise weight loss but the reality is a completely different story. Having struggled with weight since puberty, I understand the difficult position you are in. If you’re not afraid of the water, I found swimming and water aerobics to be helpful in getting some exercise without all the pain. The biggest challenge was getting out of the pool but doable. I agree, it’s time to get a second opinion because the hip will continue to deteriorate and I don’t wish that pain on anyone. We’re here for you.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
From what I recall, the anterior approach is performed on people with a specific BMI? I may be wrong about that and I certainly wasn’t a normal BMI for either of my hips.
I’m guessing if you could accept that maybe the anterior approach isn’t for you then maybe you could find an excellent surgeon who would help you now.
I remember that horrible pain upon walking and agree that there’s no way to manage that to lose weight.

hugs to you! So sorry you are struggling so.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
knobbyknees
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom