THR Pain at night 5 weeks after hip replacement

Just wondering did you stop or slow down your exercises?

I am still having pain after hip replacement on March 5. Following bonesmart advice, I have stopped the exercises and doing only a little walking. Am also taking tylenol throughout the day. But I am still sore when moving and also waking up in the middle of the night with hip pain. I am also getting some lower back pain - I do have degenerated disks. I am having to resort to sleeping pills to get through the night - otherwise I am sleep deprived. Not sure what to do now.

Sore damaged muscles take some time before they stop hurting. My greatest relief was ice and for long periods of time, it helps the inflammation.

Are you sleeping on your side or back. Definitely try a pillow between your legs If side sleeping. Sometimes the bad hip leg can come too far over when asleep and causes pain. Also look at possibly co-codamol rather than just paracetemol at night. It has Codeine and paracetemol so should count as part of your paracetemol allowance for the day. I had a fair bit of pain during my recovery and this did help.

Hello @taichi
You're only six weeks into a recovery that can last a full year, even longer for some. It’s not uncommon to deal with pain at this point of the healing process. Wondering what position you are sleeping in at night? Surround yourself with pillows if you’re able. Its worth a try. I took comfort in having one to lay under an arm, leg, side, whatever helped me rest comfortably for a length of time. Give it a whirl and see if it helps. Hopefully you’re able to sneak in a nap during the day also.
Wishing you comfort and some restorative rest.

:wave: @taichi just wondering if you're doing any elevating and icing? If not I would suggest you try icing at least 45-60 at a time as many times as you can swing a day. You might even want to take ice packs to bed and have a small cooler that you could keep fresh ones handy for middle of the night.

I also have disc and back issues so totally understand where you're coming from. If you're sleeping on your back you might try putting a pillow under your knees, it takes some of the pressure off your back and SI joints. The pillow between the knees for side sleeping really helps as well. And, you might look at using heat, like a heating pad or even a Ben Gay type ointment on your back and still ice the hip area.

Sounds crazy, I know, but you have to be innovative to get that much needed sleep. Also, don't hesitate to nap during the day. Get sleep wherever and whenever you can.

Hello and HappyTwo Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re feeling better since you last posted. We’d love to hear from you when time allows. Until then...all the best to you!
@taichi

Hello @taichi
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hoping your recovery is going well. Leave an update next time you stop by. We’d love to hear from you. Wishing you a great Summer 2020 with your new hip! :happyfeet:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts