THR Pain after May 23, 2019 lateral approach surgery

StillInPain

Country
United States United States
I am having swelling from back of thigh up into buttocks and top of thigh. When I stand up or walk I have pain that shoots down the thigh. 2 weeks ago whenever I lift my leg into car or put on pants. I feel my actual new joint t pop. Has anyone experienced any of this, if so, do you have any answers or suggestions for me. I have a 4 year old and my husband works away from home and is only home 2x a month the on this job. I'm desperate for answers. My insurance wouldn't approve PT after Sept 4th. Please anyone, I need advice.

Hello,
I'm sorry you're in distress and struggling with pain. I recommend you begin by contacting your surgeon's office tomorrow to let them advise on next steps. Sadly, we really can't do anything to help other than offer a sympathetic ear. We're here for you and will offer support but you need to speak with your surgeon, or a member of his care team soon to put a plan into motion to get to the origin of your pain. Possibly they will prescribe something to bring you relief in the interim. Please stay in touch and let us know how things are going.
Wishing you comfort and relief.

Wondering which hip you had replaced? Please leave your response below.
That info will be applied as your signature along with your May 23, 2019
surgery date.
Thanks in advance.
@StillInPain

@StillInPain I am sorry you are in pain and so worried. It must be difficult when your husband is away so much of the time for work. Did you have a period of time after the THR when you felt like things were less painful? Is so, are you saying that returned 2 weeks ago?
Your best bet is to contact your OS office, most definitely.
I would like to tag our senior administrator @Jamie to have her weigh in on this.

Wishing you the very best and try to rest/ice your hip and leg when you can.

I too am sorry you are experiencing such a high level of pain this far out from your surgery. Please give us a little history as to how this pain appeared or developed and what your recovery was like up to now. Have you received any input from your surgeon about pain after your routine 6-week follow-up appointment? It really is important for you to have a consultation with him complete with an x-ray or other imaging to see what's going on.

Please keep us updated so we can continue to support you. If you can get some x-rays it would be helpful for you to post them on the forum so our expert, Josephine, can take a look. Also, if you have any x-rays that were taken since your surgery, post those as well for comparison. We're here for you and will do our best to help you get this resolved.

Sorry to hear of your situation. I would call the OS office before doing anything. You mention PT, I would not do any PT nor want any.

Thinking of you. I hope you were able to make contact with your OS, the PA or anyone from your OS's care team to advise on next steps. We're here for you. Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend.
@StillInPain

I had my right hip replaced. Have seen my surgeon several times. He at first assured me the pain and swelling was from the actual surgery. The joint pain was gone right after surgery. The femur pain has continued from after surgery. I seen my surgeon. Again on Nov 22nd and now because it is popping he did xrays again and says everything still looks in place. Doesn't appear it is loosening. Now wants me to have an ultrasound guided steroid injection the ilepsoas tendon to see if that helps and if it does I need to see another surgeon to go back in and cut that tendon. If not he says nothing much anyone can do at this point other than pain mgmt. Also stated in last set of xrays my left hip is now bone on bone, which I figured because of pain has increased in that hip. He says no one will even consider the left replacement at this time because the right leg. Which I don't want them to touch me any how. I guess I will wait for this injection and see if it helps. I'm praying it does.

I do hope the injection helps or at least gives the doctor more information to make a better diagnosis.

So sorry your left hip is also hurting...I do feel badly that you may have to consider another procedure for righty.:console2:
Now wants me to have an ultrasound guided steroid injection the ilepsoas tendon to see if that helps and if it does I need to see another surgeon to go back in and cut that tendon
Several members have had the tendon release surgery and report it is done arthroscopically, I believe, and not a tough recovery.
@SaraK is one that comes to mind.

I guess I will wait for this injection and see if it helps. I'm praying it does.
Me too:prayer:

Yes, I've been there, done that and come thru to the other side! You've successfully cleared the first hurdle. It is hard to get them to take it seriously sometimes. I had months of pain, followed by pain mgmt who thought it was my back and finally found another doctor that quickly made the diagnosis I had known for months - psoas impingement.

The injection into the psoas tendon was HEAVEN but only lasted a couple of weeks or so. For some people, it works and lasts longer and they never need surgery. For others (like me) it proves the diagnosis and surgery is the treatment. Even without good relief from the shot, it can still be a psoas impingement.

Happy to talk on here about my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the injection in the ileopsoas tendon and Praise God it helped immediately! My leg still feels a bit week. I'm thinking because the muscles atrophy for not using it like it should have been used. I have not used my cane since last wednesday when they did it. I will wait to see how long it works then make the decision on if the tendon should be cut. My only concern with that is the effects from that. That is your hip flexion tendon and am wondering if I will have an issue raising my leg if cut. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all.

Even with the injection working, it doesn't mean surgery. Mine only lasted a couple of weeks so surgery was the next step. For others, the relief may be permanent or may last several months. I was told the injection could be repeated every 3 months.

Yes, there will likely be some weakness if you get the surgery but PT will help. I did the initial PT but need to quit at 6 weeks because of another unrelated surgery but had most range of motion back by then. I decided not to do the more intensive PT but to let life deal with it and see where it would take me.

I can lift my knee a little more than waist height (I was given exercises I could do for further improvement but decided not to go that route - I'm not a mountain climber). I have good range of motion but not quite as good as the other - it is still improving at 11 months, though. I do have to do more stretching on that side to maintain range of motion.

All in all, I'm soooooo glad I did the surgery. I got ride of the pain that was disrupting my life and am back enjoying life. I hike (in hilly areas), dance and am now powerlifting.

@SaraK and StillinPain
Hello just saw your posts was wondering I had right hip 2 years post op did just great till August 2019 when groin pain hit went and did pt again helped somewhat now I am going for the shot in ileopsoas tendon not real happy about it, after that its operation to release the tendon.
So it seems it does work injection and if not surgery works also.
By cutting tendon whats pros and cons of doing it ?

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks